Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ristlin

Mar 29, 2012
That's what everyone said about the 3G and the 4, until it came out that is. Same thing happens every time.

Except most people I know actually liked the 3G and 4 design (myself included). This design isn't ugly as much as it is disproportional. And everyone in the design world knows that proportions are everything.

fungus

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2008
@unclefungus
Unless Apple has something up their sleeve to allow for device-specific app downloads, they're not changing the aspect ratio.

Oh, and the back looks like ass.

ganymedes13

macrumors member
Dec 30, 2011
That's what everyone said about the 3G and the 4, until it came out that is. Same thing happens every time.

I said the iPhone 4 looked ugly when I saw the Gizmodo article. When I saw it in person it was the most beautiful phone I've ever seen.

After that I learned to shut my mouth and trust Ive. This is even worse because it's a mockup.

imgonephishin

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2003
New dock connector is lame.

Keep the same or go microUSB. Seriously... OMG.

Agreed. There's ten years of 3rd party devices (docks, speakers, keyboards, etc.) with that connector and now they'll all be worthless. At least my little Klipsch speakers at home have an auxiliary input but now I won't be able to charge the device at the same time.

ristlin

Mar 29, 2012
I said the iPhone 4 looked ugly when I saw the Gizmodo article. When I saw it in person it was the most beautiful phone I've ever seen.

After that I learned to shut my mouth and trust Ive. This is even worse because it's a mockup.

I agree, but I doubt Ive would ever make something like this. It's borne of a monster called compromise!

rdrr

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2003
NH
New dock connector?

A new way for Apple to sell a $50 conversion cable for all of our accessories that work with the gen 1 connector.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
As these devices get impossibly thinner it might be useful to have the side have a slight draft to it, wider at the top, narrower at the base, to make picking it up from a flat surface easier. Even a 5 degree angle would do it and not appreciably complicate assembly or fabrication.

I am wondering when we will see a "racetrack" external ring with two "lanes" of antennas so the device can support more radio bands.

Rocketman

charliecc

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2008
To little too late, bye, bye iPhone.

utter BS... Not gonna happen...
- no change of aspect ratio is needed (fragmentation anyone? 16/9 is an Android/WP thing, 3/2 is the Apple "trademark" design)

That's exactly why they've done it. If they'd gone wider and taller, then the change in X and Y resolution would really have screwed them over. By going taller, the home screen for example can just have an extra row of icons, apps that use standard UI features, like scroll lists etc, can be easily expanded and true legacy apps won't look too bad if they have a black border top and bottom (or either side if landscape).

No need to rework all the apps, they'll be supported, just with the aesthetic irritation of black bars.

lifeguard90

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2010
Chicago
HEY! Well look at that, what a surprise

More ios iphone postings, never woulda guessed that. ....

does anyone give a rip about mac news? Seriously , the April 4th or whatever post for antiglare imac is long in the tooth. And the mbp / air change has been rattling since Feb 2011. Ridiculous

bananas

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2007
Ugly back

The back side looks ugly as hell. They might have some early prototypes with a back like that, but that can't be the final product.

alephnull12

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2012
Yeah, those iOS developers are going to re-write their apps for this screwy aspect ratio for what reason?

KanosWRX

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2008
That is pretty ugly, you can't just make it longer with ought making it wider. I hope apple knows that. Apple fans seem to care as much about looks as they do function and if all they do is add a few mm in height this phone is gonna suck.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Unless Apple has something up their sleeve to allow for device-specific app downloads, they're not changing the aspect ratio.

Oh, and the back looks like ass.
You mean like iPad vs. Mac vs. iPhone device specific apps now?

No, they have nothing up their sleeves that supports such.

jephrey

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2005
Let's hope that connector is thunderbolt. Not another un-standard.

I personally wouldn't mind a taller screen (more true 16x9). Yes I know a bit of a hassle for programmers, but like movies on the current phone have black bars at the top and bottom(of the landscape screen), current apps on the new phone could have black bars at the top and bottom on a portrait screen.

Thickness, I'm indifferent but a little thinner would be ok. I do agree the battery could use some of that real estate

partial metal back - that looks like ass off the bat but I could take it if the joining of those materials is seamless. I know the recent rumors say liquidmetal is a ways off but a back like that blown simultaneously with gorilla glass making a seamless back would be pretty cool.

JForestZ34

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2007
I can't wait to see all the posts from people saying that this is ugly and blah blah blah. Bit once it comes out and they get their hands on it the whole attitude will change. If this is true than its great. Apple NEEDS to change. If this is so I would get one. But some die hard apple fans will resist this now and say its stupid or ugly or even apple made a huge mistake until its released then they will say this phone is the best there is and never admit they didn't like it.

James

MovieCutter

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2005
Washington, DC
My God, the new design is ugly. This is a phone's version of "butter face."

They said the same thing about the iPhone 4...but alas.

In other news, anybody wanna buy a few speakers, docks, and cables for the 30-pin dock connector. Looks like I'll need to replace...everything.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
To little too late, bye, bye iPhone.

That's exactly why they've done it. If they'd gone wider and taller, then the change in X and Y resolution would really have screwed them over. By going taller, the home screen for example can just have an extra row of icons, apps that use standard UI features, like scroll lists etc, can be easily expanded and true legacy apps won't look too bad if they have a black border top and bottom (or either side if landscape).

No need to rework all the apps, they'll be supported, just with the aesthetic irritation of black bars.
But we'll be able to get rid of the aesthetic irritation of all the 10:9 video black bars!

I think this is all highly plausible.

wolfpackfan

macrumors 68000
Jun 10, 2007
Cary, NC
What is so ugly about it? Looks nice to me and I really like the idea of it being thinner plus with a larger display. I plan on buying two of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.