Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ganymedes13

macrumors member
Dec 30, 2011
The is NO WAY Apple will change the aspect ratio. Rumor is false.

Except if you look at iLounge's history they've been the most accurate besides John Gruber. Even he slyly mentioned that this is true.

Keep in mind that iLounge was also right about the 3rd gen. iPad. They were the first source to say it would be Retina and be slightly thicker which turned out to be true.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
There's no way Apple will design a phone that looks like that on the back.

Also--for anyone saying they'll never change the screen resolution, I say pshaw!! My iPad apps were all retina ready within days of launch. The same will happen with iPhone.

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
I'd rather not have a tall and narrow screen. Sure, makes reading it portrait mode fine but is not useful for landscape mode except for maybe watching videos.

Honestly, I'm glad they kept the 4:3 aspect on the iPad. I dislike that screens have more of a widescreen format today. Great for watching movies, sucks for everything else (my roommie is jealous of my old screen flat panel before they made all flat panels in the more squished format. He finally bought two and they are 25" panels I think and my 19" with it's better aspect ratio is way more useful.

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
Exactly this.

Apple has 600K+ apps designed for 3:2. They've railed about Android fragmentation. There's no way in hell that they're changing the aspect ratio now. Larger screen? I'll buy that. But they'll be expanding it in both directions. In the mockups there's still the standard bevel on the left and right sides of the screens. You really think they'll expand upwards before using all of that space? My prediction is a 4" screen, same 960x640 resolution, screen goes right up to the side edges, slightly taller and wider device.

If the screen goes to the edge there's no reason to make it taller or wider.
By simply moving the earpiece and the home button slightly, the 4S could accomodate a 4" screen as-is.
No dimension changes whatsoever.

fungus

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2008
@unclefungus
You mean like iPad vs. Mac vs. iPhone device specific apps now?

No, they have nothing up their sleeves that supports such.

I mean like iPad, Retina iPad, iPhone/iPod 3:2, Retina iPhone/iPod 3:2... If they add another (Retina iPhone 16:9) they are going to have to start doing something about the app file sizes ballooning out of control. It's already happening with Retina iPad files in universal apps. If they change the aspect ratio on the phone it will be in ALL iOS apps.

NutsNGum

macrumors 68030
Jul 30, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
I can't wait to see all the posts from people saying that this is ugly and blah blah blah. Bit once it comes out and they get their hands on it the whole attitude will change.

It's hideous. The 4 was a departure, but it had some degree of consistency. This looks like it was glued together from bits of other phones.

celo48

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2010
Ohh God! I hope they do not make it taller. It is already tall! Thinner is OK. Taller is NOT OK.

iPhonedHome

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2008
Dallas
Ughh! I just threw up in my mouth a litttle ....

Holy crap that looks horrible! If that is what is actually released I'll be keeping my Galaxy Note.

nerdwaller

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2012
Colorado
Won't happen.

Definitely not the next iPhone.

Apple likes seemless design, that looks terrible.

They will have the backing one style or the other, but not both and I highly doubt they will change the aspect ratio. If the iphone screen gets bigger, the phone will be wider, that's all there is to it.

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia
Can't believe people are seriously comparing this mockup to the leaked iPhone 4 shots. Take an iPhone 4 case, extend it a bit, tack on metallic strip at the back. Does anyone really believe this is what Ive and co have been doing for the last few years?? It's… gosh, I'm lost for words… it's just bad, and it's not going to happen.

achtung!

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2005
Portugal
the funny thing about this threads, is the fact that "everyone" hates this mockups and this new phone entire concept. but if apple actually built on of these, those hypocrites will worship the device! ;)

cheers

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan
Absolutely no point in increasing the screen in only one direction unless iOS6 has some balls to the wall amazing UI that makes this necessary.

Fuggo and hopefully BS.

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
I doubt Apple will change the aspect ration, but I guess it could happen.

Out of curiosity, some questions:

-How big a screen do you guys want? I've seen people say they want 4", 4.5" and I think I saw some people say they wanted a 5" screen?

-Bonus Question: why do you want that size screen? More screen real estate or just something like bragging rights ("My screen's bigger than yours!")

-How thin do you want it (and why)? Or should I rephrase it: if an iPhone/iPad had LTE advanced, 10+ hour battery life, 1 GB of RAM, 128 GB storage, would you rather have an 8mm device or 1mm device? Just curious why.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
I think some posters here have a serious issue being able to discern between a quickie fantasy mock up and an actual design.

Personally I hope the 4" spec mentioned is not true. It's just too big for a mainstream phone - I'm well aware others feel differently, but I suspect they are in a niche as most Android phone buyers are which is one reason why Android has strong marketshare. (That is not pejorative, but only to say there is an Android model to suit most everyone's need, none are huge sellers, but Android phones are in the sales aggregate. Apple OTOH aims dead center with the iPhone.) I happen to be in the dead center demo. If a 4"+ screen was important to me (and many, many other consumers) I'd/we'd buy an Android.

One thing another poster mentioned was keeping the phone at the same thickness to add battery. This would be a total disaster IMHO unless it did not add weight to the phone, i.e., Apple found a way to reduce the weight of other components or the case without sacrificing utility. Battery life is important, but weight is everything b/c no one wants a heavy phone and iPhone battery life isn't that bad -- certainly better than 99% of Android phones.

I doubt any of this is true. I would HATE if any of this were to happen.

Elongated screen: Hell no. Fragmentation, apps would look terrible sideways, games would have to be completely redesigned, and reason number one HOW ARE YOU SUPPOSED TO ACCESS NOTIFICATION CENTER WITH ONE HAND. The average thumb wouldn't be long enough to reach.

Flat back: No. I am over the flat back on the 4/4s. I prefer some sort of curve even if it's just on the edges (like the iPad).

Metal Strip: Ok I would prefer a metal back (liquidmetal), but a strip? At least in the mockup it looks hideous, but I'm sure Apple could make it look better. I know Apple may not be able to make the entire back metal for reception purposes, but we'll see

Thinner: Honestly, I would prefer a bigger battery to thinner

new dock connecter: oh great!! So every dock connector that people have been collecting for over a decade have suddenly become worthless! Why? To make the hole slightly smaller... so what? if anything it's better wider because it gives more support.

lame, lame, lame, LAME!

shaunp

Cancelled
Nov 5, 2010
Longer might work, but wider would be horrible to hold. Just look at some the the Android phones. They aren't especially nice to use.

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
If devs have to re-work the apps to support a bigger display, then thats what they have to do. Let's be real...Apple is not going to hold off on advancements in technology, or changing trends because they don't want to disrupt the current apps. Will it be a PIA for the developers??...For sure. But it's bound to happen at some point...Why not now? I think now is actually better then later. It's no different then retina, iPad, & mac.

And these mocks are terrible. I have faith that Ive and apple will give us a beautiful device...They know they have to hit a grand slam this time. And I think they are ready for it.

Aftershocker

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2011
Exactly this.

Apple has 600K+ apps designed for 3:2. They've railed about Android fragmentation. There's no way in hell that they're changing the aspect ratio now. Larger screen? I'll buy that. But they'll be expanding it in both directions. In the mockups there's still the standard bevel on the left and right sides of the screens. You really think they'll expand upwards before using all of that space? My prediction is a 4" screen, same 960x640 resolution, screen goes right up to the side edges, slightly taller and wider device.

My money is on that as well...

I don't think they are particularly adverse to changing the resolution to keep the retina tag though, as existing apps could always be run in a window with a border.

triceretops

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2003
Illinois
Bigger is NOT better

And a new dock connector? WTF. I have a charging cord in my car, in my travel bag, at work, at home. Replacing them all is not what I want to do.

Macclone

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2012
HEY! Well look at that, what a surprise

More ios iphone postings, never woulda guessed that. ....

does anyone give a rip about mac news? Seriously , the April 4th or whatever post for antiglare imac is long in the tooth. And the mbp / air change has been rattling since Feb 2011. Ridiculous

Go buy a Dell or HP POS then.

Boisv

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2012
Wow, that's probably the first good looking mock up I've seen. Finally someone's predicting a new iPhone that isn't ass ugly. I don't want a curved back iPhone, and I really don't need a complete redesign.

I do agree though that I'd prefer a bigger battery to a thinner phone. The 4S isn't all that thick to begin with. More battery life FTW.

This is also the most realistic prediction I've seen yet. But personally I'd like to see them leave the screen alone. I don't need a bigger phone.

Last edited:

MacDarcy

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
People....reeeeeelax. First of all this is a rumor. A ruuuuuumor! Second of all, that mock up is a photoshop job by some internet blogger....NOT by Apple. So stop freaking out. You think some schmo on the internet is gonna out design Apple using photoshop? Puh-lease. Chill the F out. :p

As for the iphone 5 rumors...i am all for a bigger screen, better battery life and LTE. I am holding off until it is announced. Rumors are fun...but they are just that, rumors.

Come back in June or October when its officially announced and lets talk. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.