Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NZed

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 24, 2011
Canada, Eh?
Well, I think its time. I've been with the 450D since it first released. Full of opportunity back then. Now, its just full of limits for me. Its been almost 5 years with this camera and i think its time.

From you photographers out there, I'm kinda on low budget and have been eying the 7D for a while. Is it still a good buy?

THanks!

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
I've had mine for a couple of years now. It's an amazingly capable camera. So much so I don't think I'll be upgrading when the MkII comes out...

skuid87

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2012
The obvious questions is how will you be using it? My primary need focused around capturing HD Video. So I went for the EOS 60D. I was tempted by the 7D's weatherproofing, but ultimately decided that the manual audio adjustments and tilt/swivel screen of the 60D were more important.

Does your budget strech as far as to consider a 5D mkII? Since the mkIII came out, a whole bunch of them have hit the second hand market. It's worth a look...

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Does your budget strech as far as to consider a 5D mkII? Since the mkIII came out, a whole bunch of them have hit the second hand market. It's worth a look...

Whilst this is good advice you also potentially have to factor in new lenses. NZed has a 450D right now. S/he (sorry: don't know which) may have some EF-s lenses. Replacing these could be very expensive. For example if they needed a new standard zoom how much is a 24-70 L?

mulo

macrumors 68020
Aug 22, 2010
Behind you

5D mkII is pretty outgunned by the 7D though..
also rumor has it the 7D wil see a software update soon rather then a refresh.

I bought my 7D two months ago, and I cannot see what more I could want, even when looking at the 1D X, except for faster FPS and larger buffer.

Last edited:

sapporobaby

macrumors 68000
The obvious questions is how will you be using it? My primary need focused around capturing HD Video. So I went for the EOS 60D. I was tempted by the 7D's weatherproofing, but ultimately decided that the manual audio adjustments and tilt/swivel screen of the 60D were more important.

Pretty solid advice. I am primarily a street scene/sports shooter so I went with the Nikon D4. I have incredible low light capabilities with very little noise. The camera suits the way I shoot, however I like to shoot landscapes and panoramas from time to time so I am considering picking up a Nikon D800 for these needs. In short, fit the camera to your needs and work from there. There are other considerations such as lenses, accessories but these are secondary.

WRP

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2011
Boston
5D mkII is pretty outgunned by the 7D though..
also rumor has it the 7D wil see a software update soon rather then a refresh.

Come on dude... he gave it a CR1. Which means "plausible". I wouldn't plan my purchasing on something based on a CR1. And it was ONE rumor from ONE person.

crratings3.jpg

Probably only in the AF department to be honest. Other than that I think the 5D MkII wins.

Me too. But I'll lump in burst rate as well. I'm getting a new 5d2 now that the 3 is out. I will still keep my 7D for when I need the reach or shooting sports, but the 5d2 will be my go to for everything else. And I don't use all the crazy AF stuff. Center point for me all the time.

sapporobaby

macrumors 68000
wins in terms of image quality, other then that I think the 7D wins.

The 5D II had/has a terrible AF problem. It has been well documented. This is why many Canon shooters are happy to see the 5D III or are making the jump to the Nikon D800. What good is IQ (Image Quality) if it isn't in focus, and IQ is very, very, very much dependent on the lens involved rather than the camera so much. I think you got your facts wrong here.

mulo

macrumors 68020
Aug 22, 2010
Behind you
The 5D II had/has a terrible AF problem. It has been well documented. This is why many Canon shooters are happy to see the 5D III or are making the jump to the Nikon D800. What good is IQ (Image Quality) if it isn't in focus, and IQ is very, very, very much dependent on the lens involved rather than the camera so much. I think you got your facts wrong here.

fact: the 5D mk II resolves more detail and dynamic range given the same lens and perspective compared to the 7D
fact: the 7D has more AF points.
fact: the 7D shoots more then twice as many frames every second
fact: the 7D has a more zones in its metering system (presumably leading to more accurate exposure)
fact: the 7D has a more accurate viewfinder
fact: the 7D accepts more lenses then the 5D
subject to discussion: the 7D has greater weather sealing
subject to discussion: the 7D has greater ergonomics and handling
subject to discussion: the 7D has more accurate exposure
subject to discussion: the 7D has more accurate AF

Last edited:

sapporobaby

macrumors 68000
fact: the 5D mk II resolves more detail and dynamic range given the same lens and perspective compared to the 7D
fact: the 7D has more AF points.
fact: the 7D shoots more then twice as many frames every second
subject to discussion: the 7D has greater weather sealing
subject to discussion: the 7D has greater ergonomics and handling

Uhhhhh.... Your point being? I think I agreed that the 7D is better than the 5D in many categories. You seem to be mixing apples and oranges. Fact, the 5D's AF is abysmal compared to other cameras in its class. Fact, the 5D is the camera that many to most DSLR videographers turned to (well until now that the D4/D800 have arrived. Time will tell). IQ is still much more a function of lens build and quality than camera bodies.

NZed

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 24, 2011
Canada, Eh?

I dont need the full frame factor. Although i like my picture sharp and crisp, I'm not gonna blow my pictures up 100 times that.

Whilst this is good advice you also potentially have to factor in new lenses. NZed has a 450D right now. S/he (sorry: don't know which) may have some EF-s lenses. Replacing these could be very expensive. For example if they needed a new standard zoom how much is a 24-70 L?

Yea and lens is another problem.

I've been borrowing the 70-200 and 24-70 from my friend for months now(he rarely use his camera nowadays). The lens is more expensive than my current camera.

Anyways guys, i'll probably wait another month then buy it. I've made the decision. Thanks guys!

Last edited:

sapporobaby

macrumors 68000
I dont need the full frame factor. Although i like my picture sharp and crisp, I'm not gonna blow my pictures up 100 times that.

Yea and lens is another problem. The 5D mk2 is almost 2000 dollars more expensive. I can get a L lens around that price.

I've been borrowing the 70-200 and 24-70 from my friend for months now(he rarely use his camera nowadays). The lens is more expensive than my current camera.

Have you ever shot at full frame? I can't name one photographer that has shot at FX who decided to go back to DX. Welcome to being the first. It has nothing to do with blowing up a photo but to include a larger area of focus but whatever.

As far as price, you pay for what you get, and here's a big hint. Lenses usually cost a bit more than bodies because good glass can last for years and years while bodies come and go. My Nikon D4 has about 2 years in it and I will move on to something else but my €25k+ worth of lenses will last many more years to come.

You have a very nice friend or he is a bit clueless to what he has in terms of lenses.

NZed

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 24, 2011
Canada, Eh?
Have you ever shot at full frame? I can't name one photographer that has shot at FX who decided to go back to DX. Welcome to being the first. It has nothing to do with blowing up a photo but to include a larger area of focus but whatever.

As far as price, you pay for what you get, and here's a big hint. Lenses usually cost a bit more than bodies because good glass can last for years and years while bodies come and go. My Nikon D4 has about 2 years in it and I will move on to something else but my €25k+ worth of lenses will last many more years to come.

You have a very nice friend or he is a bit clueless to what he has in terms of lenses.

I understand what youre saying and although i do like FX, i have no use for it. Yes I want it, but I dont need it. As a photographer, i have certain limits(money). Being stuck with the 450D for a while, I'm sure that 7D is what i need, not the 5D. Mainly, the price is the factor here. Yes i would like the 5D more, but can i afford it is another story.

sapporobaby

macrumors 68000
I understand what youre saying and although i do like FX, i have no use for it. Yes I want it, but I dont need it. As a photographer, i have certain limits(money). Being stuck with the 450D for a while, I'm sure that 7D is what i need, not the 5D. Mainly, the price is the factor here. Yes i would like the 5D more, but can i afford it is another story.

I feel you pain mate. Love your "eh" in your signature by the way. :) Funny. Reminds of my Canadian friends. What you might want to do is to pick up a good used 5DII or even 7D now that the 5DIII is out and the 1DX is coming in a few weeks (months considering they are late by months still). I can't with to see how the 1DX stacks up against my D4. Should be interesting.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
All I can say is that I'm having a heck of time parting with mine. I keep listing it for sale and then pulling the ad. :eek: My main reasons for keeping it have now been obviated by my purchase of a 5D Mark III, but letting go of the 7D is proving to be difficult for me. Selling my 5D Mark II was a lot easier, probably because it was getting a replacement. The 7D has been such a champ, and it has been nice having the extra "reach" it provides when situations call for it. It feels every bit as up-to-date as the 5D3, and I remain impressed by its image quality.

So yes, I think the 7D is still a very good buy...and a very good camera to keep around if you already have one...unless you can talk yourself into selling it because you know you could use the money for something else...sooo hard to decide... :p

fitshaced

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2011
All I can say is that I'm having a heck of time parting with mine. I keep listing it for sale and then pulling the ad. :eek: My main reasons for keeping it have now been obviated by my purchase of a 5D Mark III, but letting go of the 7D is proving to be difficult for me. Selling my 5D Mark II was a lot easier, probably because it was getting a replacement. The 7D has been such a champ, and it has been nice having the extra "reach" it provides when situations call for it. It feels every bit as up-to-date as the 5D3, and I remain impressed by its image quality.

So yes, I think the 7D is still a very good buy...and a very good camera to keep around if you already have one...unless you can talk yourself into selling it because you know you could use the money for something else...sooo hard to decide... :p

I feel the same and will be keeping my 7D. Sure, the difference low light performance is staggering between the 7D and 5D MK III. But, like you say, the 7D gives you that 'reach'.

I'm unlikely to need the extra 2 frames per second on high burst but for those who don't have even 6fps on their current camera, this is a great feature.

Plus, having a good backup camera is never a bad thing. Them both having very similar controls and ergonomics is very pleasant.

Mac In School

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2007
I upgraded from the 450D to the 7D a few years ago, and it's been fantastic.

I've since upgraded to the 5DMIII and the jump is just as good. I still love my 7D enough, however, that I kept it. It's a great camera.

flosseR

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2009
the cold dark north
yea you do.. me! :)
But then i went back to FF.. :)

To the OP. good choice, I think the 7D will serve you very well and its a damn good upgrade from the 450D... you will be blown away...

looneyflyer

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2012
So many good comments already. I've also recently bought a 5DIII but there's no way I'm letting go of my 7D. I used it over the weekend to shoot a kitesurfing competition and got some fantastic shots from it with the extra reach.

To the O.P. I would just get yourself a 7D and start enjoying it! :)

Nostromo

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2009
Deep Space
Well, I think its time. I've been with the 450D since it first released. Full of opportunity back then. Now, its just full of limits for me. Its been almost 5 years with this camera and i think its time.

From you photographers out there, I'm kinda on low budget and have been eying the 7D for a while. Is it still a good buy?

THanks!

There is canonrumors.com. They have a rumor the release of the 7D mark ii might be around the corner.

Generally, if you'd get a 5D markii (the mark iii is much more expensive) you'd get a sensor twice the size. The "outdatedness" of the autofocus is overplayed. People even do birding with that camera, and I get no more than one out of focus image per 500 frames.

If you're a journalist or someone who doesn't care a lot larger sensor, the 7D might be a good choice for its speediness, but at this time I wouldn't pay full price. (It's like buying a Mac Pro now)

-hh

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2001
NJ Highlands, Earth
There is canonrumors.com. They have a rumor the release of the 7D mark ii might be around the corner.

If one's definition of "around the corner" is sometime after September (6+ months from now).

Generally, if you'd get a 5D markii (the mark iii is much more expensive) you'd get a sensor twice the size. The "outdatedness" of the autofocus is overplayed. People even do birding with that camera, and I get no more than one out of focus image per 500 frames.

The 5DMk3 wasn't developed for no reason. The problem with the 5Dmk2's AF system was that it was utterly unchanged from the 5D .. and it (the original 5D) wasn't really cutting edge back then, either, since it was borrowed from the Canon 20D (2004 intro). So sure, while people *can* do XYZ with it, the simple reality is that the 5D & 5Dmk2 series weren't competitive with its contemporaries.

...and given that I've had two 20D bodies (essentially the same AF system as in the 5D & 5Dmk2) and lots of out-of-focus bird shots, I'm a bit cynical about a success rate of 499/500 ... perhaps it is because I also try to capture photos of birds in flight? Yes, raptors are relatively straightforward in comparison to kingfishers, rollers and bee eaters (typically a more cluttered background for these latter), so it will also depend on how you shoot.

In looking at tech specs:

Canon 20D: 9-point TTL

Canon 5D: 9-point TTL .
... plus 6 "Invisible Assist AF points"

Canon 5Dmk2: 9-point TTL
... plus 6 "Invisible Assist AF points"
... and Centre point cross type F5.6 or faster
...and Center point additionally sensitive with lenses of F2.8 or faster

Which are all pretty much the same core tech.

Canon 7D: 19 cross-type AF points (f/2.8 at centre)
...with Center point additionally sensitive with lenses of F2.8 or faster

Canon 5Dmk3: 61-points...etc

FWIW, I looked at the 5Dmk2 in great detail when it came out, to decide if it was the right camera for me to invest a bigger chunk of change in putting it into an underwater housing. The lack of improvements to its AF system was pretty much the key factor in my deciding to pass on it; I ended up building the UW system around the 7D.

If you're a journalist or someone who doesn't care a lot larger sensor, the 7D might be a good choice for its speediness, but at this time I wouldn't pay full price. (It's like buying a Mac Pro now)

Within reason, we always want a bigger/better sensor, since that's what is what gives is image quality. But there are trades such as its cost. If I were shooting static landscapes on fair weather days, I would have been content with a 5D or a 5Dmk2 ... but that wasn't my only interest. Until the 5Dmk3 shipped, the 7D was the superior AF Canon short of the 1D series ... and even now after the 5Dmk3 has shipped, one of the desirements for the 7D remains its extra reach from being a crop sensor.

Insfoar as price, of course it would be nice if it were cheaper today than in 2010...and at $1550 from a reputable retailer, it is indeed discounted some. Based on the 5D, I'd expect the 7D to have a three year product refresh cycle, which means that a notional 7Dmk2 is probably still a year off.

-hh

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.