Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AndyK

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 10, 2008
Terra
So I did a forums search for a good RSS reader recommendation for my iPhone and came across this thread, in which most posters recommended Reeder.

Is this still a great app to use or has something better emerged? I'm looking for something (if it exists), that will push new feeds to me. Push 4.0 seems to do this, but doesn't have many reviews.

Any recommendations, would be fabulous.

BadboyHouse

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2011
I still use Reeder. Haven't found anything better. I use Reeder on my Mac also.

Push for new feed items would be good.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I have tried them all and settled on NewsRack. I have used Reeder also and it works well. I just prefer the layout of NewsRack myself.

You won't find an RSS reader that can push notifications to an iPhone without some sort of server side service like the Push app you linked. The iPhone dev guidelines would not permit a RSS reader to poll in the background like that to send push messages.

AndyK

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 10, 2008
Terra
Am I right in saying that neither Reeder or Newsrack will sync in the background? I want them to only sync when I open the App.

A few of the feeds I subscribe to have a lot of pictures and I don't want them tearing up my mobile bandwidth while I'm out and about.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Am I right in saying that neither Reeder or Newsrack will sync in the background? I want them to only sync when I open the App.

A few of the feeds I subscribe to have a lot of pictures and I don't want them tearing up my mobile bandwidth while I'm out and about.

No RSS app will sync in the background automatically. Apple would never approve such an app. Their dev. guidelines only allow background activity for a short amount of time after you close the app (I believe it is ten minutes).

For example, I use a podcast app called Downcast. I can start the app and tell it to update/DL my new podcasts, then close the app. It will continue to run and DL the podcasts for the couple minutes that takes, but the app will not check for any further updates afterward.

I think Apple has this requirement to keep misbehaving apps from killing your battery.

wooger

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2008
There has to be something out there better than Reeder - it doesn't do offline syncing and doesn't have a night mode so it's useless for me.

On the iPad, Mr Reader is an amazing RSS app - attractive, with tones of features and options, including offline syncing etc. I really hope they make an iPhone version at some point.

I only switched back to an iPhone this week, so I'm not Cain what the best RSS app is, but I'm using Feedler at the moment, which seems pretty good. It has night mode and offline syncing support.

jordanneo

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2012
For offline sync, which is mandatory for me since I use a 5G Touch and take the subway, I found Byline and Feeddler both work well. I settled on Byline because it does a better (but not perfect) job of caching the web page as well so you get the full article instead of only the truncated rss article. Both are updated for the 4 inch screen, too.

J

rigberg

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2011
I tried Feedly and liked it a lot.
Most tech sites recommend Reeder but I found it hard to justify $4 for something I wasn't sure I was going to use a lot.

I like Feedly because it syncs with Google Reader and you can send articles you want to read to Pocket. It also has a very nice layout, along the lines of Flipboard or Pulse.

gonca

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2011
Europe
Any of the above apps works fine with the notification center (push)? To avoid open the App and check headline news from there.

Thanks a ton

Dolorian

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
I use feedly on Android, it is available on iOS too. It is a great RSS reader.

russell1256

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2010
I use IReadG, and have tried all the others. this one works great for offline reading, and has a free version to try.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.