Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DJDools

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 3, 2012
Hi there

I wonder if anyone can help...

Yesterday, for no apparent reason, whenever i tried saving a file/document (whether a web archive or a Pages doc), the usual dialogue box would pop up, but the 'locations' bit would disappear -- i.e., although I can see a list of 'My Favourites' on the left, nothing is happening when I click on one.

Before, if I clicked on a location, the file directories would come up in the view panel, and then I could click on further sub-folders... But now this is just not happening.

Any ideas?

Thanks so much

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Yesterday, for no apparent reason, whenever i tried saving a file/document (whether a web archive or a Pages doc), the usual dialogue box would pop up, but the 'locations' bit would disappear -- i.e., although I can see a list of 'My Favourites' on the left, nothing is happening when I click on one.

Before, if I clicked on a location, the file directories would come up in the view panel, and then I could click on further sub-folders... But now this is just not happening.
Have you tried restarting your computer? That's a basic first step in troubleshooting, and solves a number of issues.

DJDools

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 3, 2012
Screenshot of problem

Here you go:

Attachments

• Save_Prob_TEMP copy.png
    Save_Prob_TEMP copy.png
    111.2 KB · Views: 54

DJDools

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 3, 2012
Nothing...

It used to show folders in that directory, but no more.

It doesn't show up anything in any directory now. :(

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Nothing...

It used to show folders in that directory, but no more.

It doesn't show up anything in any directory now. :(
Close Pages and other apps that you may have running. Then delete:
/Users/yourusername/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist​
Then relaunch Finder.

DJDools

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 3, 2012
Strange thing:

My Library isn't in /Users/MYusername

Nor can I find the com.apple.finder.plist

Anyway, I have just restarted everything for the 7th time today...and it now seems to be working.

I'm a little worried as seeing as though nothing has been 'fixed' then the problem could arise again...

Also, where is my com.apple.finder.plist???

:confused:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Strange thing:

My Library isn't in /Users/MYusername
Your Library folders are hidden by default in Lion. To get to your /Library or /Users/yourusername/Library (also known as the ~/Library) folders in Lion:
  • Launch Finder and click Go > Go to Folder and type: /Library or ~/Library
  • Hold the Option key while clicking the Go menu item, which reveals your ~/Library folder in the menu.
  • Make it permanently visible by entering the following command in Terminal, then press the Enter key:
    chflags nohidden ~/Library​
  • 18 ways to view the ~/Library folder in Lion

ezramoore

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2006
Washington State
This may sound stupid, but have you tried approaching the right-hand side of that window and dragging the left border over. The 'Favorites' area in an open dialogue is resizable.

Also, if you cannot grab the edge of the favorites tray since it is so close to the window border, grab the window border and resize it out to the right. You will then be able to see the edge of your favorites tray and get it normally sized again.

Last edited:

DJDools

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 3, 2012
Your Library folders are hidden by default in Lion. To get to your /Library or /Users/yourusername/Library (also known as the ~/Library) folders in Lion:
  • Launch Finder and click Go > Go to Folder and type: /Library or ~/Library
  • Hold the Option key while clicking the Go menu item, which reveals your ~/Library folder in the menu.
  • Make it permanently visible by entering the following command in Terminal, then press the Enter key:
    chflags nohidden ~/Library​
  • 18 ways to view the ~/Library folder in Lion

Thank you for this, only it wouldn't work for me. I launched Finder and clicked go etc, but nothing came up...

I hope nothing dodgy is going on with this Mac; it's not even a year old...

Thanks for your help so far...I appreciate it.

----------

This may sound stupid, but have you tried approaching the right-hand side of that window and dragging the left border over. The 'Favorites' area in an open dialogue is resizable.

Also, if you cannot grab the edge of the favorites tray since it is so close to the window border, grab the window border and resize it out to the right. You will then be able to see the edge of your favorites tray and get it normally sized again.

Thanks, I'll certainly give that a go if it happens again.

Like I said, it seems to have miraculously and spontaneously corrected itself; but it took 7 re-starts and 2 days to do it!

DJDools

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 3, 2012

What do you mean "nothing came up"? Did you try the 2nd option in the list I posted?

That it just didn't come up with any results...

But it's by the by as I can see my Library folder, i just can't find the plist file you mentioned earlier.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
That it just didn't come up with any results...

But it's by the by as I can see my Library folder, i just can't find the plist file you mentioned earlier.
You're saying it's not in your Preferences folder?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.