Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mark1234

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2011
Amsterdam, the Netherlands
Just to be sure.

We have the 2nd generation "Sandy Bridge" processor right?
Mac Mini 2011 Intel HD3000 Hardware specs.

Original post on Intel forum.
In other words we have to wait for the Windows 8 driver release early May and hope for the best?

----------

So everything is working for you(*) except the video driver?

(*) no yellow exclamation points in device manager
Yes, we have the same Mac Mini.
I did not have time yesterday to check the EFI booting with the intel driver deleted. However, my Windows BIOS environment is installed without Bootcamp using the "manual driver install" procedure and by doing it that way I do not have "yellow exlamation marks". I do not think this would be different when installing in EFI mode, but I will check it at night.

kraades

macrumors member
May 1, 2012
The Netherlands
Yes, we have the same Mac Mini.
I did not have time yesterday to check the EFI booting with the intel driver deleted. However, my Windows BIOS environment is installed without Bootcamp using the "manual driver install" procedure and by doing it that way I do not have "yellow exlamation marks". I do not think this would be different when installing in EFI mode, but I will check it at night.

In Windows 7 BIOS mode I used the Boot Camp drivers without problems (no yellow exclamation points). After that I deinstalled the Boot Camp service (because I don't have OSX installed).

I tried the same in Windows 8 EFI mode but unfortunately after that the Windows boot loops with error 0xC000021A.

I think one cause of error 0xC000021A is "Mismatched system files have been installed". So I think this is caused by one of the Boot Camp drivers... (?)

Well, I will try again later. When I found a way to image the GPT drive... :)

Did not happen the 2nd time I tried...see below...

Last edited:

mark1234

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2011
Good to know this. At night, I will install them one by one and reboot every time in between to see which driver will cause the crash.

But I thought your problem was caused by the Intel VGA driver.

I do not understand your remark "I deinstalled the Boot Camp Service". This would mean that you are doing more than just installing single drivers.

bssayeda

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2012
Question regarding hybrid Windows 8 Windows 7 Install disk

I have several question regarding the Gr8Gatzby's method of installing windows in a pure UEFI environment.

The first one is how is the windows install disk made? Is it just replacing the install.wim file in the Windows 8 install with the one in a Windows 7 disk? or is there more to it?

Another question is how does his method change for a Early 2011 MacBook Pro with dual graphics (or even any system with dual graphics). ie. for the parts where you are supposed to look at the pci info, what should I be looking for?

Suspended
Oct 10, 2011
I have several question regarding the Gr8Gatzby's method of installing windows in a pure UEFI environment.

The first one is how is the windows install disk made? Is it just replacing the install.wim file in the Windows 8 install with the one in a Windows 7 disk? or is there more to it?

Another question is how does his method change for a Early 2011 MacBook Pro with dual graphics (or even any system with dual graphics). ie. for the parts where you are supposed to look at the pci info, what should I be looking for?

It's a good question : for my test I just replaced install.wim within the Win8 Setup files. What I don't understand is why you have to launch WinPE 4.0 then launch the Win8 setup why don't we launch directly Win8 setup.

I test these 2 solutions but the both failed. Maybe slipstream install.wim is different.

kraades

macrumors member
May 1, 2012
The Netherlands
Good to know this. At night, I will install them one by one and reboot every time in between to see which driver will cause the crash.

But I thought your problem was caused by the Intel VGA driver.

I do not understand your remark "I deinstalled the Boot Camp Service". This would mean that you are doing more than just installing single drivers.

Well, it didn't happen the second time I tried:
- Did a fresh install of Windows 8 CP
- Removed the Intel driver file so I could see what I was doing
- Installed the Boot Camp drivers by Apple (WindowsSupport\setup.exe).
- I uninstalled the Boot Camp Services Program (don't want it/don't need it)
- The following Programs were installed afterwards

Video and sound still have the yellow exclamation mark.

So maybe it was related to the Intel driver update (although I removed the Intel driver file again after the update) or just a glitch.

mark1234

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2011
I see, you install the complete Bootcamp driver package whereas I install only the drivers needed. From your list, I see that there is also an Atheros driver installed on your system. As far as I know, your Mac Mini does not have an Atheros component. Therefore, I prefer to only install a few drivers.

By the way, did you already install the Intel Win8 Beta video driver as jlpek17 suggested:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=3128&DwnldID=21180&keyword=%22windows+8%22eng

kraades

macrumors member
May 1, 2012
The Netherlands
I see, you install the complete Bootcamp driver package whereas I install only the drivers needed. From your list, I see that there is also an Atheros driver installed on your system. As far as I know, your Mac Mini does not have an Atheros component. Therefore, I prefer to only install a few drivers.

True.

By the way, did you already install the Intel Win8 Beta video driver as jlpek17 suggested:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=3128&DwnldID=21180&keyword=%22windows+8%22eng

I just did.
Reinstalled Windows 8 CP and installed the driver (version 9.17.10.2729).
Didn't work... Black screen... :mad:

I have reported the issue in the Intel forum.
(at the moment the post is waiting for approval by a moderator so is not yet visible)

Also the CirrusAudio64.exe does not work so no sound. :mad:
Couldn't find any drivers on Cirrus.com.

I also installed the INF files. At least I think I did.
There was no confirmation message and I don't know what to do next.

I also ran the Intel CPU ID Util with this output.
It reports a i5-2415M CPU (=correct) whereas HWiNFO64 reports a i5-2410M (=incorrect).

Last edited:

DaGr8Gatzby

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2011
It's a good question : for my test I just replaced install.wim within the Win8 Setup files. What I don't understand is why you have to launch WinPE 4.0 then launch the Win8 setup why don't we launch directly Win8 setup.

I test these 2 solutions but the both failed. Maybe slipstream install.wim is different.

I launched winPE 4.0 because it helped cut back on my wasting of physical media. It also allowed me to test issues that were hindering my success with the Win7 installer. Installing from my Nokia N9 was pretty nice. I am booting 5 different OSes via EFI still. I think the reason I was successful was due to the GPU issue.

I may get a new macbook when the refresh comes out. I am not too certain about Windows 8 via EFI either. Guess we are just going to have to wait some more.

bssayeda

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2012
I launched winPE 4.0 because it helped cut back on my wasting of physical media. It also allowed me to test issues that were hindering my success with the Win7 installer. Installing from my Nokia N9 was pretty nice. I am booting 5 different OSes via EFI still. I think the reason I was successful was due to the GPU issue.

I may get a new macbook when the refresh comes out. I am not too certain about Windows 8 via EFI either. Guess we are just going to have to wait some more.

So how did you create a windows 8 disk with windows 7 slipstreamed with it if I may ask?

Suspended
Oct 10, 2011
You forgot to say that you were EFI booting Windows 8 in the Intel forum.

Yes and it's very important because in BIOS mode it works. Yous should post this information.

I don't find the same service for AMD/ATI or NVIDIA (... I don't have NVIDIA but it could be interesting too even if Apple don't still works with)

Last edited:

mark1234

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2011
Just tried the new Intel Win8 Beta driver and got the same result as "kaades", a black screen. Furthermore, the High Definition Audio Controller device still has an exclamation mark.

----------

Have you test this driver for your Graphic Card ? and this driver are the last Intel-Inf.
@jlpek: I noticed that the Intel-Inf driver link you provided above is for Intel 7 Series Chipset Boards. How do you know that the Mac Mini Model 2011 has an Intel 7 Series Chipset Board?
I know that the Mac Mini Model 2011 contains an Intel HM65 Chipset and that Chipset belongs to the Intel 6 Series, so I would assume we would need a driver for the Intel 6 Series Chipset Board.

parapup

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2006
You forgot to say that you were EFI booting Windows 8 in the Intel forum.

The MSINFO file (s)he posted does make it clear that boot mode was UEFI - not that I expected anyone to see that xml gunk but hopefully an Intel engineer will :)

Suspended
Oct 10, 2011
Just tried the new Intel Win8 Beta driver and got the same result as "kaades", a black screen. Furthermore, the High Definition Audio Controller device still has an exclamation mark.

----------

@jlpek: I noticed that the Intel-Inf driver link you provided above is for Intel 7 Series Chipset Boards. How do you know that the Mac Mini Model 2011 has an Intel 7 Series Chipset Board?
I know that the Mac Mini Model 2011 contains an Intel HM65 Chipset and that Chipset belongs to the Intel 6 Series, so I would assume we would need a driver for the Intel 6 Series Chipset Board.

Sorry for the Intel-Inf I think you could find the right one on Intel Download Center.
You can control which "inf" the setup has installed : try the command "Intel-Inf.exe /?". Normally Intel-Inf are needed when a new Intel platform comes after the release of Windows but some update could be made and solve some problem like the one we have here.

What's the problem Windows indicates when you double click on the device ? Is it "the device as not enough memory ..."

For my iMac I have two HDA controller : a CirrusLogic and ATI HDMI Audio which related to my external video/audio output (which is MiniDisplayPort ! I use MiniDipslayPort to HDMI cable and the audio only works by this output when I install the drivers). For this last device I found the driver on Realtek site but it is also on Bootcamp files. Maybe yours is INTEL HDMI Audio or something like that ?

----

I'm wondering about what does the Bootcamp Panel do in BIOS mode when you increase/decrease sound or backlight. Maybe it access to "data/values" that apple store differently or elsewhere (compared to other EFI-computer) and maybe it is some of these "data/values" that our Graphic-Card looking for !

Last edited:

DaGr8Gatzby

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2011
So how did you create a windows 8 disk with windows 7 slipstreamed with it if I may ask?

I installed from USB. Therefore, I did this:

1. Extract the contents of both ISOs to my phone
2. Injected Drivers into Win7 Install.wim
3. Replace Windows 8 - Consumer preview install.wim with the Win7 install.wim with the injected drivers
4. Boot WinPE 4.0
5. Ran setup.exe from the Windows 8 - Consumer Preview directory from the command line.

This method detects an EFI environment correctly. Windows 7 installer is extremely broken in the fact that even if you are booted into EFI, the setup.exe will not detect that your GPT disk is valid.

kraades

macrumors member
May 1, 2012
The Netherlands
The MSINFO file (s)he posted does make it clear that boot mode was UEFI - not that I expected anyone to see that xml gunk but hopefully an Intel engineer will :)

Yes, on Windows the default program for NFO is Windows System Information (GUI) and the BIOS Mode is at the startup screen.
But I will update the post to make sure.

Edit: The devices listed as "problem devices" in the NFO. Does the ID help in any way?

Win7 BIOS mode - Intel driver works (Boot Camp; I am running this config)
Win7 EFI mode - Problems? (*)
Win8 BIOS mode - No problems? (I have not tried this)
Win8 EFI mode - Intel driver does not work (Boot Camp and beta)

(*) Does this even work? I never could even install Win7 in EFI mode...

Last edited:

mark1234

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2011
Maybe yours is INTEL HDMI Audio or something like that ?
Yes, you are right. It is the Intel HDMI Audio exclamation mark. If I am correct, the driver will automatically be installed when installing the Intel VGA driver.

I was thinking about the situation with the black screen, and although the Intel VGA PCI is on bus 0 I think for some reason we will have to enable the VGAE register of one of the PCI bridges. When I have some time I will try to experiment with it.

Suspended
Oct 10, 2011
Yes, you are right. It is the Intel HDMI Audio exclamation mark. If I am correct, the driver will automatically be installed when installing the Intel VGA driver.

I think you could extract this drivers from Intel VGA driver

I was thinking about the situation with the black screen, and although the Intel VGA PCI is on bus 0 I think for some reason we will have to enable the VGAE register of one of the PCI bridges. When I have some time I will try to experiment with it.

Although my VGA adapter in on bus 1 and the PCI bridge related is on BUS 3, I have the same problem. I rather think there was another register to change on VGA adapter or on the PCI Bridge.

kraades

macrumors member
May 1, 2012
The Netherlands

You mean the HD Audio Controller with the exclamation mark?
Do I understand correctly that we don't need the CirrusLogic drivers?

How can I change the registers? Is there anything I can do to help?

mark1234

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2011
Yes, it is the HD Audio Controller with the exclamation mark.
This is for the Digital sound over the HDMI cable.

The Cirrus Driver you still need for the analog sound over the headphone out connector.

Changing the PCI registers we do with mm commands from the EFI shell. In order to do that you need to boot into an EFI shell.

If you want to try it, it is best to first try it by booting in the EFI shell from an USB stick. I will post a message at night for you how you can create this USB stick very easily. Or you can google for refIT or rEFInd.

bssayeda

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2012
I installed from USB. Therefore, I did this:

1. Extract the contents of both ISOs to my phone
2. Injected Drivers into Win7 Install.wim
3. Replace Windows 8 - Consumer preview install.wim with the Win7 install.wim with the injected drivers
4. Boot WinPE 4.0
5. Ran setup.exe from the Windows 8 - Consumer Preview directory from the command line.

This method detects an EFI environment correctly. Windows 7 installer is extremely broken in the fact that even if you are booted into EFI, the setup.exe will not detect that your GPT disk is valid.

Okay I did that but now a new issue, I cant get past the product key page. I entered the Windows 8 key and my Windws 7 Pro Key and no luck It says "We couldnt verify the product key. Try entering it again."

does it make a difference which setup.exe I execute?

Suspended
Oct 10, 2011
Have you test this driver for your Graphic Card ?

It seems that this drivers is fully compatible with WDDM 1.2. so I don't think drivers update could solve our problem.

Desktop and Metro interface use Graphic Acceleration which seems not be activated ! I'm wondering : if you deactivate all effect in graphic interface preference what happen ?

I read and re-read the export for my Graphic Adapter and PCI bridge but I didn't found anything to activate or desactivate.

It's easier to read your report by use this command :

fs0: (or the drive you would like)
pci -i 00 00 00 > Graphic.txt

this create a graphic.txt in the drive fs0: so you can read/print more easily.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.