Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

juminoz

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2011
No Volume in DP3.1?

We installed DP3.1 on a Macbook and a Macbook Pro at work and both have an issue with no volume. When trying to adjust, it shows that it cannot be done. Mute button has the same issue.

Anyone experiencing the same issue? Any workaround?

arkmannj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2003
UT
They are doing away with RSS altogether?? That's just crazy....Anybody know of a suitable replacement software for both?

Mail doesn't really have a convenient way to export a list of your feeds but you can do it through the terminal by typing (or Copy/Paste)
Code:
pubsub --client com.apple.mail list | cut -f3 | sed -ne '3,$p' >~/Desktop/myrssfeeds.txt

This will export a list of all your RSS feeds to your desktop in a file called "myrssfeeds.txt"

There's several RSS apps our there but at the moment I'm trying out a free app from the MAS called "Cappuccino". it is basically a Google Reader client. So far it seems somewhat limited but no more so than Apple Mail for RSS.

class77

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2010
Mail doesn't really have a convenient way to export a list of your feeds but you can do it through the terminal by typing (or Copy/Paste)
Code:
pubsub --client com.apple.mail list | cut -f3 | sed -ne '3,$p' >~/Desktop/myrssfeeds.txt

This will export a list of all your RSS feeds to your desktop in a file called "myrssfeeds.txt"

There's several RSS apps our there but at the moment I'm trying out a free app from the MAS called "Cappuccino". it is basically a Google Reader client. So far it seems somewhat limited but no more so than Apple Mail for RSS.
I don't want to put RSS feeds on my desktop. That just seems too untidy an option for me. That's why I liked them in Mail. I could check them, but they weren't obtrusive and there wasn't another app that I had to check.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Most people disagree with you, as do I.
So.. because I don't find anything wrong with the current Versions implementation, and you do, that means I blindly follow every new thing from Apple? Interesting perspective. Interesting to you maybe.

Again, I know it works, which didn't take long to learn. I'm still not sure that you do, or care to.

What goes around comes around. :) You bash some people for automatically rejecting new ideas for being different. I bash you for blindly following apple. Are we both exaggerating? Yes. I think we can, and should, agree to disagree on this. I don't think either of us would be bothered / offended if apple simply gave us a choice in the preferences to enable or disable versions.

However, riddle me this about Versions, anyone -
Suppose I want to open a file (cats.rtf) and immediately make a bunch of edits to it, and then after I'm done with my edits I want to chose what to do with it:
(1) overwrite the existing cats.rtf one that I opened with the new edits, or
(2) make a new file kitties.rtf with the edits preserving the old cats.rtf intact without my edits.

With the older save/save-as system -
This was easy. I would click "save" for option1, and for option2 "save-as" > "kitties.rtf".
For the math people:
Option1: 1 step
Option2: 2 steps

With versions -
Option1 is easy. The computer essentially already decided to do this for me, thanks computer. Option2 requires: "duplicate" > "save" > "kitties.rtf" > click back to cats.rtf > "revert document" back to the pre-edit form, which might require lots of clicking if the edits were done over a long period of time.
For the math people:
Option1: 0 steps
Option2: 5 steps (conservative number, might be more)

In my relatively common scenario. Some in the past have answered: "You're doing it wrong. Make the choice to either duplicate or not before you make the edits." I don't agree with that because there are plenty of times when the creative juices are flowing and I simply do not want to make that choice, I want to dive in and do the work and decide what to do with it later.

So versions supports... tear this apart.

Can't Stop

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2011
What goes around comes around. :) You bash some people for automatically rejecting new ideas for being different. I bash you for blindly following apple. Are we both exaggerating? Yes. I think we can, and should, agree to disagree on this. I don't think either of us would be bothered / offended if apple simply gave us a choice in the preferences to enable or disable versions.

However, riddle me this about Versions, anyone:
Suppose I want to open a file (cats.rtf) and immediately make a bunch of edits to it, and then after I'm done with my edits I want to chose what to do with it:
(2) make a new file kitties.rtf with the edits preserving the old cats.rtf intact without my edits.

This was easy. I would click "save" for option1, and for option2 "save-as" > "kitties.rtf".
For the math people:

With versions -
Option1 is easy. The computer essentially already decided to do this for me, thanks computer. Option2 requires: "duplicate" > "save" > "kitties.rtf" > click back to cats.rtf > "revert document" back to the pre-edit form, which might require lots of clicking if the edits were done over a long period of time.
For the math people:

In my relatively common scenario. Some in the past have answered: "You're doing it wrong. Make the choice to either duplicate or not before you make the edits." I don't agree with that because there are plenty of times when the creative juices are flowing and I simply do not want to make that choice, I want to dive in and do the work and decide what to do with it later.

One thing is you can’t count. The other thing you don’t know how this feature is used.

arkmannj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2003
UT
I don't want to put RSS feeds on my desktop. That just seems too untidy an option for me. That's why I liked them in Mail. I could check them, but they weren't obtrusive and there wasn't another app that I had to check.

my appologies I don't think I made myself clear (my bad)

The Terminal/desktop file is simply so you can have a current list of all your RSS feeds/URL's in mail, you don't have to do that step or keep the file there, I just thought regardless of the reader you use it might be helpful to first have a convenient list to migrate all of your feeds from.

The Actual App (Cappuccino) looks like this when it is running
cap.jpg

star-affinity

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2007
For last 2 videos:
[Sarcasm] You need to use a stable version (Lion is not stable enough IMHO) to get rid of these "bugs" :) [/sarcasm]

The second video is from Snow Leopard… :)

Edit:
Oh sorry, it's not. But it behaves the same in Snow Leopard.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008

For the math people:

With versions -
For the math people:

The argument against "Auto Save/Versions" always amounts to highlighting scenarios where it takes an extra step or two and minimizing the scenarios where it saves a step.

I'd bet that Option 1 happens many times more often than Option 2, so you are saving more clicks overall. Additionally, Versions makes Option 2 unnecessary for many scenarios that you would have done it in the past. Essentially, both versions exist in the same file, so Option 2 also becomes zero steps.

Yes, Versions adds steps in certain workflows. If you can't adjust those workflows, than Versions adds steps for you. Luckily, Apple is adjusting the functionality with Mountain Lion to cover more workflows.

(And the "Revert to Last Opened" negates your "conservative number, might be more" qualification.)

kemo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2008
The second video is from Snow Leopard… :)

Edit:
Oh sorry, it's not. But it behaves the same in Snow Leopard.

If I remember correctly, it was Lion, anyway I dont like Lion, its still buggy and Im currently installing update for DP3 to test out "ungroup windows" feature - if it would be enough for my workflow Ill get Lion once its public, otherwise Im staying with SL.:)

Cancelled
Jan 20, 2010
We installed DP3.1 on a Macbook and a Macbook Pro at work and both have an issue with no volume. When trying to adjust, it shows that it cannot be done. Mute button has the same issue.

Anyone experiencing the same issue? Any workaround?

Try resetting the PRAM 3 times.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Have u ever worked in "corporate america"?

There are companies still using Windows XP and Quark 4.0 and they are reluctant to upgrade. And I am not talking about 2 or 3 big companies, I am talking about hundreds running legacy custom software.

Yes, I've worked in 'corporate America' for the past 15 years. I'm currently in a company of 10,000+ employees, and we still use Windows XP on our desktops, and new code is still being written using Cobol.

Of course, some people are slow to change. I didn't say that ALL computers would be gone, but a high percentage. But my point still holds for what the world will look like in 10-20 years.

cammonro

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2008

For the math people:

With versions -
For the math people:

Perhaps I'm oversimplifying but it sounds like you just want to preserve a copy of your old cats.rtf? Versions has already done that for you. It's still there in your history. Nothing was lost. 0 steps.

If you feel you absolutely need to have that as a separate distinct file and didn't expect that you were creating something new, I suppose you could just Duplicate the version you have now (Step 1) and save as kitties.rtf (Step 2). Restore your old version of cats.rtf (Step 3). So that's one extra step right? But you get the added benefit of always having a history of what you do. That seems to me it would allow you to be creative with abandon. You never have to worry about losing a thing.

It's always good to have options though and it sounds to me like Save As... is making a resurgence in Mountain Lion so I think everyone can be happy now right?

I hate file cruft so I personally think Versions and Autosave are fantastic features. It just requires breaking free of old habits. But having the option to disable it for those who don't like it seems perfectly reasonable too.

dethmaShine

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2010
Into the lungs of Hell
You make a fuss about your own UI design opinions being voted down, yet act like that when someone else posts theirs. Why?

Do you even know what he wrote? - NeXTStep used Helvetica in all menu bars. Fine but how is that related to what I wrote?

I'm not butthurt if someone else is having a different opinion. I love to read other people's post; but no body out of the people who downvoted commented with any reasoning as to why those UI design choices were right.

End of discussion from my side.

ZacNicholson

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2011
Austin
Idk if this has been mentioned yet, but when you are now downloading it shows it in the "downloads" folder your progress.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-05-03 at 7.44.54 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-05-03 at 7.44.54 PM.png
    16.2 KB · Views: 804

alvindarkness

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2009
Do you even know what he wrote? - NeXTStep used Helvetica in all menu bars. Fine but how is that related to what I wrote?

End of discussion from my side.

Exactly my point, this thread doesn't exclusively revolve around what you wrote. You missed his "I love it" quote at the end. He is expressing that he loves Helvetica in the menus, in reply to your differing opinion. It is related. It is another opinion. Its all good and everything is wonderful.

Last edited:

dethmaShine

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2010
Into the lungs of Hell
Exactly my point, this thread doesn't exclusively revolve around what you wrote. You missed his "I love it" quote at the end. He is expressing that he loves Helvetica in the menus, in reply to your differing opinion. It is related. It is another opinion. Its all good and everything is wonderful.

He loves helvetica in those particular menus. OS X is a lot more evolved with a very modern UI design. Helvetica Neue fits perfectly in iOS, hence used from the very beginning.

But fair enough.

----------

Idk if this has been mentioned yet, but when you are now downloading it shows it in the "downloads" folder your progress.

Thats new I guess.

VinegarTasters

macrumors 6502
Nov 20, 2007
mac osx bugs

I don't follow daily, so you may get infrequent followups, if at all. But to answer some previous questions. The bugs were submitted to Apple. The problem is, many of the bugs exist since Snow Leopard (and probably earlier, I don't know because I started with Snow Leopard). The only things Apple will look at immediately is if it is labelled "Security" in your bug report, but they will change it to "Other Bug" if they don't want to fix it, even if it is a security bug.

To give an example, I filed the sharing ethernet over Wi-Fi as a security bug. (which it is... WPA2 is a security protocol). Then afterwards, they changed it to "other bug", and then ignored it for that last two Mountain Lion updates. It is a SECURITY bug because....

1) In the news you hear about Google driving by and collecting username and passwords over Wi-Fi from people who do not have secured hotspot. This is the SAME problem here. When you share your ethernet over Wi-Fi, and it is not protected, anyone can snatch ALL communications to your hotspot and grab whatever they want (including username and passwords that you enter into webbrowser, and any sessions from apps that do the same).

2) Anyone can hop onto your Wi-Fi and hacking away. Congratulations. Instead of a hotspot router, they have the direct IP to your computer (sharing Ethernet on a MAC, which is a computer).

3) Anyone can borrow your wi-fi communication and start spamming email and do illegal activity from your hotspot (because of no security). There was a case in the news where someone was caught doing this.

Are these Security Risks? Yes. Are they Security bugs? Definitely. WPA2 is a security protocol. It doesn't work when you are sharing Ethernet over wifi in Mountain Lion. Previously, Apple supported WEP security. But it was taken out in Mountain Lion. So what does this mean? NO SECURITY if you want to share the ethernet over Wi-Fi.

I would like to treat it as a regular bug, but Apple ignores bugs that they don't like to fix, or they deem it minor. Losing Wi-Fi sharing of Ethernet when you reboot exists since Snow Leopard because they think it is a minor bug.

They have no concept of how people may be using their products, and don't have a brain wide enough to accomodate the wide usage. They have designers think up a new way to do things (which is great), but sometimes their designs are too narrow in USABILITY scenarios, ending up doing more harm in the long run (which is bad).

Examples:
In the iOS devices, they have a Notes application. It allows you to enter important text (in lieu of scraps of paper). Most people use the app to jot down long sequence of numbers that is hard to memorize. (they have Reminder and Calendar and Contact for other stuff). But guess what? the Notes app DOES NOT SUPPORT a font that you can distinguish between o O 0 and 1 i l I. Example: in many URL shorteners, you will have these things. In the UK Postal code, you will have these. In most video sites you will have these things at the end. In most postal service tracking numbers you will have these things. I've jotted down a URL of a video and it ended up getting the wrong one because of a mixup between 1 and l (one and lowercase L). Imagine the more serious case where it is a serial number of something more important. I filed the report, and they said they weren't going to fix it. Guess all those corporations or people that may consider using an iPad or iPhone are not going use it for jotting down important stuff then right?

The magic trackpad requires 1000 times more pressure to click near the top than on the bottom. Guess what? The MacBook Pro has THIS SAME PROBLEM. It doesn't come with a regular mouse, so you are stuck. The default settings has no three finger drag, and the double tap and drag is hidden in accessories (which is buggy anyways, see my previous post). So how are you going to drag a window? The intuitive way would be light pressure click on a window title bar and move it to where you want and release. You can't do this in Magic Trackpad or MacBook Pro because the pressure is TOO GREAT near the top of the pad. And bummer, the title bar is near the TOP of your screen, so your finger WILL have to travel there to click which means near the top of the pad. It is also a bummer that the system menu is also stuck near the top of your screen since the first Macintosh. People will then say, well, keep a finger near the bottom of the pad at all times for clicking. But guess what? two fingers on the pad indicates a bunch of things... zoom. rotate. flip between pages in browser. open notification center. scroll window within a window. (with click: open menu, look up word). The best solution is: implement it right, make it light pressure on all areas of the pad. Or bring double tap to indicate click (so you can drag windows easily) without bugs. They never even consider these things when they design products, and force all these problems on people. Why is there STILL no wired magic trackpad? Because it looks cool without wires and you must change batteries.

Another example. iPhone allows you to keep multiple numbers for a contact. Lets keep it simple... Home number, a mobile number, and work number. These are common for 90% of the general population. If you store these numbers under one contact name (obviously), and they call you from those three numbers (home, then mobile, then work), in your recent calls list, it will show that person called three times and all three times will show ONLY ONE number (either home, mobile, or work). iPhone doesn't have the capability to create a separate entry for home, then mobile, then work. It will group all of them letting you think that person called from the SAME number. Now lets think of scenarios where this may harm people. Lets say a doctor receives a call from you at work, and home (on separate occasions). If he simply looks up the recent calls and call back it may be the WRONG number, thinking the patient is not there or dead. Because only one of the numbers will show, not all of them. What if it was the police? Firefighters? Etc. iPhone simply ignores the other numbers because it can't create a separate recent calls entry if it is from a different number from the last call (if under same contact name).

I have a feeling the designers are stuck in a bubble, with no concept of usability testing over long term in their process. I think this is the problem most governments are having, the rule makers makes rules they think up, but don't consider wide enough of the implications. Like the 1% making laws suitable for the 1% only? I don't know I can't think of a better analogy, maybe someone else can try.

Last edited:

TheAshMan

macrumors regular
Jan 22, 2009
Washington D.C.
Completely Agree!!

I completely agree here with the lack of color. I really am disappointed in the lack of color in the finder window sidebar and other sidebars (such as in iTunes). Different colors and custom folder icons made it easy to navigate and find what I was looking for. Moreover, all that grey looks dull! I miss the colorful OS!
I spent the extra money for a 27" beautiful screen and they drain all the color and life out of OS X. Not only is it less appealing, it is harder to use because it is more difficult to distinguish between UI elements. The sidebars in Finder and iTunes are the biggest problems to me.

beg_ne

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2003
They have no concept of how people may be using their products, and don't have a brain wide enough to accomodate the wide usage. They have designers think up a new way to do things (which is great), but sometimes their designs are too narrow in USABILITY scenarios, ending up doing more harm in the long run (which is bad).

Examples:
In the iOS devices, they have a Notes application. It allows you to enter important text (in lieu of scraps of paper). Most people use the app to jot down long sequence of numbers that is hard to memorize. (they have Reminder and Calendar and Contact for other stuff). But guess what? the Notes app DOES NOT SUPPORT a font that you can distinguish between o O 0 and 1 i l I. Example: in many URL shorteners, you will have these things. In the UK Postal code, you will have these. In most video sites you will have these things at the end. In most postal service tracking numbers you will have these things. I've jotted down a URL of a video and it ended up getting the wrong one because of a mixup between 1 and l (one and lowercase L). Imagine the more serious case where it is a serial number of something more important. I filed the report, and they said they weren't going to fix it. Guess all those corporations or people that may consider using an iPad or iPhone are not going use it for jotting down important stuff then right?

I guess a serif font would be nice, but why don't you just copy & paste the text from the note if you're having trouble entering it anyway?

The magic trackpad requires 1000 times more pressure to click near the top than on the bottom. Guess what? The MacBook Pro has THIS SAME PROBLEM. It doesn't come with a regular mouse, so you are stuck. The default settings has no three finger drag, and the double tap and drag is hidden in accessories (which is buggy anyways, see my previous post). So how are you going to drag a window? The intuitive way would be light pressure click on a window title bar and move it to where you want and release. You can't do this in Magic Trackpad or MacBook Pro because the pressure is TOO GREAT near the top of the pad. And bummer, the title bar is near the TOP of your screen, so your finger WILL have to travel there to click which means near the top of the pad.

Uh... just use the glass trackpads like you would an old style one. Press and hold the bottom with your thumb and move the window with you index finger.

Also pressing from the top only requires 2-3x the pressure on a Magic Trackpad.

It is also a bummer that the system menu is also stuck near the top of your screen since the first Macintosh. People will then say, well, keep a finger near the bottom of the pad at all times for clicking. But guess what? two fingers on the pad indicates a bunch of things... zoom. rotate. flip between pages in browser. open notification center. scroll window within a window. (with click: open menu, look up word). The best solution is: implement it right, make it light pressure on all areas of the pad. Or bring double tap to indicate click (so you can drag windows easily) without bugs. They never even consider these things when they design products, and force all these problems on people.

I really don't understand what you're trying to say about the menubar at the top of the screen and how it has any relation to what you can do with 2 fingers on the trackpad. Dude your thumb is ALWAYS near the bottom of the pad, just use your thumb to click down.

Why is there STILL no wired magic trackpad? Because it looks cool without wires and you must change batteries.

There won't ever be a wired version. Expect wired keyboards to go away completely soon enough too. So you have to change batteries once every couple months. Is it really that hard? You'll get a notification when the batteries hit 9% charge. Which is like 1-2 weeks at least of time. You can't take 30 seconds to change the batteries then? Or take a minute to plug in the charger for an hour if you don't have any with a charge? For weeks you can't manage that amount of time?

Another example. iPhone allows you to keep multiple numbers for a contact. Lets keep it simple... Home number, a mobile number, and work number. These are common for 90% of the general population. If you store these numbers under one contact name (obviously), and they call you from those three numbers (home, then mobile, then work), in your recent calls list, it will show that person called three times and all three times will show ONLY ONE number (either home, mobile, or work). iPhone doesn't have the capability to create a separate entry for home, then mobile, then work. It will group all of them letting you think that person called from the SAME number.

I've literally never received calls from one of my contacts from more than one number. But i'll take your word and go with you.

Now lets think of scenarios where this may harm people. Lets say a doctor receives a call from you at work, and home (on separate occasions). If he simply looks up the recent calls and call back it may be the WRONG number, thinking the patient is not there or dead.

Wat?

Because only one of the numbers will show, not all of them. What if it was the police? Firefighters? Etc. iPhone simply ignores the other numbers because it can't create a separate recent calls entry if it is from a different number from the last call (if under same contact name).

This makes no sense. I could see a doctor using an iPhone, but with emergency services you don't have a cops/firefighter Cell number. You would call dispatch and they would route your number to the nearest unit. In what emergency situation would you be switching from location to location in such a short amount of time anyway?

Even in the case of the doctor 99% of the time he will probably have you listed from your Cell phone only. Most people would call from their cell phone only, even if at home or at work. Calling back the last number is right 99.9% of the time. If not then the doctor can easily try you at your other numbers because they are in your contact info in the recent call details...

I have a feeling the designers are stuck in a bubble, with no concept of usability testing over long term in their process. I think this is the problem most governments are having, the rule makers makes rules they think up, but don't consider wide enough of the implications. Like the 1% making laws suitable for the 1% only? I don't know I can't think of a better analogy, maybe someone else can try.

Most of the above situations are IMO not very likely "thought experiment" scenarios anyway.

Would listing the location of all calls for a user be hard for Apple? No. Would it make the experience better slightly? Yes. I certainly wouldn't *complain* if they added that bit of info. But is it some kind of major issue causing having for the vast majority of users? Nope. It's a nice to have feature for the 1 out of 100 times you would want it.

It's not the 1% making laws suitable for only 1%. Its the 1% trying to craft the best result for the 99% of people 99% of the time.

Apple Knowledge Navigator

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2010
Most of the time when entering expose to find a new window, that window is one from another application. This is especially true with tabbed browsers, editors, etc. Having to switch applications and then activate app expose just adds additional steps. There was just so many things that lion did that added these little steps... and all of them together is so tedious and disruptive to workflow.

With that new option to ungroup windows by application, you can just enter mission control and go directly to the window your looking for no matter what app its part of. Its a step in the right direction... (one step forward after a number of steps back).

Great, thanks! :)

VinegarTasters

macrumors 6502
Nov 20, 2007
osx bugs

See. This is what I mean. I provide a bug, but someone doesn't recognize it as a bug, or puts it as "minor", then forgets about it for the rest of the Mac OSX updates. Lets say you are the one who is in charge of what is to be fixed or not. Then this bug will pass under the rug, and never be fixed anymore.

Lets say a patient calls from his mobile phone to his doctor. The doctor is in surgery, can't be disturbed. The patient calls multiple times because he is about to get a heart attack. He goes home, trying to find his pills. Calls again from his home phone. Doctor still not available. He is desperate and goes to the pharmacy, to buy some pills.

The doctor finishes surgery, looks up his iPhone, finds out there were 10 recent calls. The last one was from the guy's home phone. He presses "call back". The guy doesn't answer. He calls again and again, no answer. Is the patient dead? Should he call the police or emergency? Only his home number is showing. While 9 others were from his mobile phone. Doctor thinks it is an emergency because all 10 desperate calls showing from his home but he is not picking up the phone. (I forget if it is the first number is shown for all, or only the last one, but it is a bug, nevertheless).

A business owner has 100 customer support people under his command. Each has a phone number for calling his sales calls in his company. He put all 100 of them under "customer support". He gets calls all the time from his employees (but not all of them bug him daily). So today he receives 5 calls, which 5 are they? You don't know. The iPhone is not smart enough to list all of them. It will only list one.

The 99% is relative. Who decides the 99%? A thought experiment? No. People who really use it. The designer can't think up all the scenarios. But you can get an idea if it is actually used, and if it causes trouble if it is a bug.

So are you saying rebooting the machine means your wi-fi sharing will broken will never be fixed because you think it is a minor bug? the wi-fi icon is still turn on (indicating it is sharing), but it doesn't work. You have to manually go in and fix by turning it off and on again.

As for the Serif font in notes app, yes that would be nice (assuming it will display each character clearly). The reason people jot things down is because you can't memorize it. How do you copy and paste it to a windows machine or linux machine, running a program asking you to input tracking number, serial number, etc (like the UPS people?). What if the reason you are copying the number is because you need it later for something OTHER than what the iPhone can send to? What if it is a prescription or transaction ID that you need to read over the phone to someone? See? You can't foresee important times these things happen. If a hospital full of people use the iPhone (which is more likely nowadays), does it mean someone who thinks it is minor simply ignore it? It becomes important and life critical sometimes.

If someone says to you... your computer runs on batteries, and you have to change it every few weeks or month, would it drive you insane? You just want it to turn on and work, every time. What if the electricity company tells you you have to give them batteries every few months so they will provide you with juice? What if you work in a police station or emergency dispatch, and must handle emergency care or situations? Should the employee panic and run to the store to buy batteries for half an hour because his Mac doesn't have a trackpad that supports wired versions? Should all Mac owners now have to be paranoid and keep spare batteries in the desk? Or should there be a policy to check the batteries at the beginning of the day to see if it is 10% of capacity, and run to the store at the beginning of the day or end of the day? No, they won't use a MAC. It is just too stupid in those life critical situations to use something that may run out of juice and require time consuming battery changing scenarios. Unlike a macbook, which you can plug into electricity all day, you can't find a wired version for the Magic Trackpad. Just because someone says, "it ain't cool looking with wires".

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jan 20, 2010
See. This is what I mean. I provide a bug, but someone doesn't recognize it as a bug, or puts it as "minor", then forgets about it for the rest of the Mac OSX updates. Lets say you are the one who is in charge of what is to be fixed or not. Then this bug will pass under the rug, and never be fixed anymore.

Lets say a patient calls from his mobile phone to his doctor. The doctor is in surgery, can't be disturbed. The patient calls multiple times because he is about to get a heart attack. He goes home, trying to find his pills. Calls again from his home phone. Doctor still not available. He is desperate and goes to the pharmacy, to buy some pills.

The doctor finishes surgery, looks up his iPhone, finds out there were 10 recent calls. The last one was from the guy's home phone. He presses "call back". The guy doesn't answer. He calls again and again, no answer. Is the patient dead? Should he call the police or emergency? Only his home number is showing. While 9 others were from his mobile phone. Doctor thinks it is an emergency because all 10 desperate calls showing from his home but he is not picking up the phone. (I forget if it is the first number is shown for all, or only the last one, but it is a bug, nevertheless).

A business owner has 100 customer support people under his command. Each has a phone number for calling his sales calls in his company. He put all 100 of them under "customer support". He gets calls all the time from his employees (but not all of them bug him daily). So today he receives 5 calls, which 5 are they? You don't know. The iPhone is not smart enough to list all of them. It will only list one.

The 99% is relative. Who decides the 99%? A thought experiment? No. People who really use it. The designer can't think up all the scenarios. But you can get an idea if it is actually used, and if it causes trouble if it is a bug.

So are you saying rebooting the machine means your wi-fi sharing will broken will never be fixed because you think it is a minor bug? the wi-fi icon is still turn on (indicating it is sharing), but it doesn't work. You have to manually go in and fix by turning it off and on again.

As for the Serif font in notes app, yes that would be nice (assuming it will display each character clearly). The reason people jot things down is because you can't memorize it. How do you copy and paste it to a windows machine or linux machine, running a program asking you to input tracking number, serial number, etc (like the UPS people?). What if the reason you are copying the number is because you need it later for something OTHER than what the iPhone can send to? What if it is a prescription or transaction ID that you need to read over the phone to someone? See? You can't foresee important times these things happen. If a hospital full of people use the iPhone (which is more likely nowadays), does it mean someone who thinks it is minor simply ignore it? It becomes important and life critical sometimes.

If someone says to you... your computer runs on batteries, and you have to change it every few weeks or month, would it drive you insane? You just want it to turn on and work, every time. What if the electricity company tells you you have to give them batteries every few months so they will provide you with juice? What if you work in a police station or emergency dispatch, and must handle emergency care or situations? Should the employee panic and run to the store to buy batteries for half an hour because his Mac doesn't have a trackpad that supports wired versions? Should all Mac owners now have to be paranoid and keep spare batteries in the desk? Or should there be a policy to check the batteries at the beginning of the day to see if it is 10% of capacity, and run to the store at the beginning of the day or end of the day? No, they won't use a MAC. It is just too stupid in those life critical situations to use something that may run out of juice and require time consuming battery changing scenarios. Unlike a macbook, which you can plug into electricity all day, you can't find a wired version for the Magic Trackpad. Just because someone says, "it ain't cool looking with wires".

Man, you got to take a holiday or something.

SeaFox

macrumors 68030
Jul 22, 2003
Somewhere Else

Protip: If you're about to have a heart attack, you don't call your doctor's personal cell phone. You call 911.

I also agree with the last reply.

VinegarTasters

macrumors 6502
Nov 20, 2007
osx bugs

Ok. I wasn't sure, but now I am definitely sure. This forum is populated by employees or hired staff and not regular forum surfers. Microsoft and Nvidia popularized it, now every company has these people. To direct the line of conversation, or mute any discussion that is damaging to their products.

I am not here to argue with you guys, but since I use the products, I have a right to complain if it has bugs. Either take it or leave it. You don't have to use ad hominem or other guidelines to stop these conversations.
Yes, I expect more personal attacks, and no, I won't fall for it. You can flame away, but it doesn't change the fact that these bugs STILL exist version after version. They will go away only if you fix them.

Whether I am on vacation or not, won't change the fact that the bug exists. Don't shoot the messenger. Fix the problem. Just because you can criticize the doctor with one comment, but ignore one you can't deflect with the customer support, doesn't mean the bug can now be ignored. It is still there. I know there are people involved with the development in these forums, because after that last complaints about having no ungrouped view in Mission Control... guess what? This update now includes it.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.