Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

e-coli

macrumors 68000
Jul 27, 2002
Everyone complaining about the dock connector seems to have forgotten about the EU ruling that mandates a standardized charging adapter for mobile phones.

Giuly

macrumors 68040
Everyone complaining about the dock connector seems to have forgotten about the EU ruling that mandates a standardized charging adapter for mobile phones.
MD099

You don't really want a Micro-USB and a Micro-HDMI and a Micro-Cinch and a Micro-Soft and a Micro-This and a Micro-That port on an iPhone, do you? :rolleyes:

And it's nice that the EU mandates Micro-USB, but what do you do when you have developed the Micro-Thunderbolt port?

Last edited:

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
I don't like that 'pill-shaped' dock connector. If it hasn't been said already, they should make it 'asymmetrical', like an HDMI or mini-USB port. USB ports are notorious enough because of the symmetry...

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Hopefully Apple never changes the design or size of the iPhone since it is already perfect in those aspects.

wankey

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2005
Apple engineers, if you read this: don't make the device a freaking 7.3 mm or so thin! Keep it around 9 mm or so and use that additional 2 mm for a bigger battery!

Yes, but what if they can make it 7.3mm thin but keep the same battery life or slightly better?

I agree that I want way more battery life, but I also don't mind a sexy thin phone that has the same battery as the current iPhones.

twigman08

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2012
I work at Verizon so I hold many different phones a day. I honestly must say I love the feel of the iPhone the most. The others that are coming out are just too thin in my mind. When I hold them I just don't feel the security in holding them. The iPhone is the perfect thickness in my mind.

I believe Apple is going to really push LTE and battery life. I think they are going to keep the device the same thickness and "boast" about how they kept the battery life the close to the same without making it thicker.

Though who knows what Apple might do. They honestly surprised me when they released the new iPad with it slightly thicker and heavier. That was not like Apple at all (though I think some people are throwing it entirely out of proportion, I could barely tell the difference first time I picked it up, but after holding one I can't tell a difference).

claym24

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2011
It's really upsetting to keep hearing rumors of enlarging the iPhone. Apple does not and should not give in to it's competitors. Making the next generation iPhone bigger is not an improvement and I hope Apple is still smart enough to realize that. 3.5 inch is the perfect size for your hand and pocket and viewing anything ON THE GO!! It's a phone people! If you need a bigger screen get an IPad. Steve would not be happy about this.

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
Nobody wants a yardstick for a phone. It would look ridiculous if it were that tall. Apple may do some crazy things sometimes, but bad design hasn't been of their problems lately. I would bet my left kidney it's not going to get taller without getting wider.

Giuly

macrumors 68040
Pay a $200 tax for the port, and buy a $50 cable, and continue to transfer data at less than USB 2.0 speeds because that's all that the flash chips in the Itoy can do?

;)
Well, here's another scenario: One of the next iPhone iterations will have 802.11ac, and there's WiFi synching already. Also 802.11n is > USB 2.0.
That, along with inductive charging, will remove the need for any connector on the phone itself altogether, and open up the possibility to further slim down the iPhone, if the connector is the problem.

That shifts the problem of the receptacle to the charging pad, where you could even add one of those, at least if you're completely insane and put a nice design around it:
IEC_Power_Input_Receptacle_250VAC_10A_006200.jpg

Bottom line: Sit back and have a cup of tea, the connector problem will resolve itself.

EeZeEpEe

macrumors member
May 21, 2011
Tampa, FL
16:9 ratio please. That's what I'm looking at on my iMac and all the flat screen TVs. I'm sure there could be a "black bar" mode until apps get update.

Last edited:

Nuvi

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2008

You don't really want a Micro-USB and a Micro-HDMI and a Micro-Cinch and a Micro-Soft and a Micro-This and a Micro-That port on an iPhone, do you? :rolleyes:

And it's nice that the EU mandates Micro-USB, but what do you do when you have developed the Micro-Thunderbolt port?

Having Thunderbolt on iPhone makes zero sense. The port and chip itself is expensive and so are the cables. There is no speed benefit from it either on iPhone. Currently and even more so in the future all the synching on iOS devices will be wireless so what you want is universal and cheap. If Apple is going to abandon 30 pin then only logical option would be micro USB.

fatboyslick

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
If Apple do change the dock I'll go schizo....I've spent a lot of money buying a variety of docks for my house and for these to become useless in one swoop is ridiculous

Rcflex

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2011
Palm Springs, CA
OMG, this is the dumbest thing I heard so far about the next iphone... Geeze they dont have to make the phone bigger to get more screen space... There a lot of usable space to make a larger screen...

Peace 2 all

devilofspades

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2011
the people complaining about an aspect ratio change and the poor developers, obviously know nothing about programming & ios development. using the modal-view-controller design pattern, updating a view to support a different size display takes next to no time at all. look how quickly apps were updated to support the new ipad retina display. plus ios apps shouldn't have statically programmed sizes anyways. they reference the views frame.size or view.bounds. so no matter what the screen size is, the code dynamically adjusts to what it should be. this is why apps without retina support don't run at 1/2 or 1/4 quarter of the screen size on retina devices.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Yes, but what if they can make it 7.3mm thin but keep the same battery life or slightly better?

I agree that I want way more battery life, but I also don't mind a sexy thin phone that has the same battery as the current iPhones.

I'd still prefer they try to fit a bigger battery.

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009

They can do that when you can make it through three days with normal to heavy usage.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
Keeping it 3:2 makes much more sense.

For texting, like a dumb phone 3:2 is ideal.

For a modern day Smartphone the correct aspect ratio is 16:9, for clarification, this is the proper aspect ratio for video's, movies etc.

Since iTunes was created by Apple, and is rich with all kinds of content, that Apple seems to cling to the antiquated 3:2 reveals their conservative views.

Perhaps spending the money to update the phone is beyond their comfort zone.

Thankfully my Samsung S II is a full 16:9, thereby offering me a very enjoyable unlimited experience for any content I wish to display.

Conversely my iPhone 4S, is a texting delight.

zweigand

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2003

For a modern day Smartphone the correct aspect ratio is 16:9, for clarification, this is the proper aspect ratio for video's, movies etc.

Since iTunes was created by Apple, and is rich with all kinds of content, that Apple seems to cling to the antiquated 3:2 reveals their conservative views.

Thankfully my Samsung S II is a full 16:9, thereby offering me a very enjoyable unlimited experience for any content I wish to display.

I don't think you read my blog post. I explain several reasons why 16x9 is not ideal. Severely cropped photos, poor landscape keyboard functionality, and the fact that the text on the websites you view will be no larger than it is on the 4S (at least in portrait mode). Not to mention the fact that it creates hurdles for the devs on top of everything else.

I watch very little widescreen video on my iPhone. So little in fact, that I rarely even take off the portrait lock to rotate the video so it fills the screen. Nothing about a 16x9 screen appeals to me.

EeZeEpEe

macrumors member
May 21, 2011
Tampa, FL

Actually the GS2 series aren't 16:9. My Epic 4G Touch (I know it's larger than the most of the GS2) is 3.875x2.3 which is closer to a 16:10. I thought it was 16:9 too until I compared it to an HTC or Motorola. At least it's wider than the iPhone though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.