Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

what android phone is best for mac users?

• galaxy s 3

Votes: 31 29.8%
  • htc one x

Votes: 36 34.6%
  • razr maxx

Votes: 11 10.6%
  • galaxy note

Votes: 11 10.6%
  • other?

Votes: 15 14.4%

• Total voters

einmusiker

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 26, 2010
hello. I am looking to upgrade my android phone on verizon. I am not getting an iPhone because it doesn't have LTE and I already have an iPad, so my phone is staying android to hold onto unlimited 4g data as long as possible. So my question for the mac community is which of the 4 top current android phones would you choose?

Galaxy s 3 (just released with impressive specs
HTC one x (impressive specs but I'm not sure if vzw is getting this?)
razr maxx (great battery)
galaxy note (hybrid tablet/phone)

things that are important to me are antennae reception, strong data connection, ability to tether (preferably unrooted if possible) and battery life

b24pgg

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2009
CA
I'd go with any of those except the RAZR MAXX because of Motorola's locked bootloader. They all have little differences here and there; try them out at a VZW store and see which one you like the best.

xnickitynickx

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2012
Orlando, FL
If you are curious about an iPhone in the future, I'd just hold on to what you have now and wait for October and see what the new iPhone brings.
But if you are hooked on Android, then I'd probably go with the Nexus or Maxx. Probably the Maxx, just because I can't stand samsung

0m3ga

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2012
Specs and micro sd card - gotta go with the S3. Having 128gb (in reality more like 115gb) of space on a phone. Priceless.

I'm a bit biased though, as I currently have an S2 Skyrocket. But being able to move files easily with the micro sd card to any pc or mac, without the need for downloading any software makes this type of phone the most Mac friendly. Something to think about... because at least on a Samsung, your phone won't autoload into usb mode automatically when you plug it in via usb cable to a Mac in order to transfer files.

Additionally, if you are a poweruser, having the ability to change out batteries on the go for more power is critical. Again, gotta go with the S3 here with its 2050mA sized battery!

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I too have a S2 Skyrocket, works very well with OS X. Going with the S3 is a good go. I'd say wait until October too because the new iPhone could have LTE and there'll be another S3 model by that point probably.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
hello. I am looking to upgrade my android phone on verizon. I am not getting an iPhone because it doesn't have LTE and I already have an iPad, so my phone is staying android to hold onto unlimited 4g data as long as possible. So my question for the mac community is which of the 4 top current android phones would you choose?

things that are important to me are antennae reception, strong data connection, ability to tether (preferably unrooted if possible) and battery life

Add the nexus in. While the specs aren't the best (the TI omap is still very fast), they are very good and the software is amazing. 4.04 just rolled out this week as well on verizon. I've had mine for like 4 months now and I love it. It also has the sickest notification led on any phone.

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011

the galaxy note im considering buying that phone myself a little big but the bybrid seems to open up many more possibilities .

hajime

macrumors 604
Jul 23, 2007
My galaxy note running ICS rocks.and yes I carry a spare battery with me for when I need it.

Considering to buy one soon. Is it the official ICS just released in Canada few days ago? Has the lag problem been fixed? How about the screen issues? I went to a Samsung showroom today. Their Note does not has the ICS yet. Some videos on youtube looked fine. However, half of them had poor quality (coarse, low resolution-like. In some cases, I could see video images made of small, square boxes). What is the cause? The staff said that it was due to the low quality of the original videos. Later he said that it could also be a feature of the AMOLED. I wonder if it is actually a problem with the Note. Your experience greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Confuzzzed

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Liverpool, UK
...being able to move files easily with the micro sd card to any pc or mac, without the need for downloading any software makes this type of phone the most Mac friendly.

Just out of interest, is said micro SD easily removable? I have little interest, taking phones apart and trying with my fat fingers (I am 6'3" and weigh 240lb) to tease out little tiny micro SD trays lodged into the guts of a phone.

0m3ga

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2012
Just out of interest, is said micro SD easily removable? I have little interest, taking phones apart and trying with my fat fingers (I am 6'3" and weigh 240lb) to tease out little tiny micro SD trays lodged into the guts of a phone.

I'm 6'1 and 195. I have pretty big hands, which is why i can easily use phones the size of the S3.

But it is very simple for me to change the battery, sim and sd card. The back pops off pretty easily and all the area right there in front of you. It is extremely easy.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
I'd say the One X. It has better form, and comparable function to the S3 without looking like a cheap plastic phone. Otherwise I'd wait till October for the next gen iPhone, or at least June for iOS 6.

stickybuns

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2011
I just bought the razr maxx for my husband for his birthday. His car doesn't have any available hookups for chargers, so battery life was at the top of the list. He also wants to do some for-personal-use app programming without having to pay $100 to be in a developer program.

At the time, Verizon's flagship phones were the galaxy nexus and the razr maxx (I'm NOT going to look at the specs for the the newest phones! That's the path to madness and regret), and we just felt that a nice screen couldn't be enjoyed as much if the battery was dead all the time!

Compared to the iPhone: screen resolution is lower, but it's only really noticeable when reading text. The camera isn't quite as nice, but we're not sure if it's the optics or the software that's the issue. He has a DSLR, so it really isn't a deal breaker.

At any rate, he is actually carrying a phone around with him instead of "forgetting" it at home all the time.

Tones2

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
Specs and micro sd card - gotta go with the S3. Having 128gb (in reality more like 115gb) of space on a phone. Priceless.

How do you some up with 128 GB? It's 64 GB onboard max plus 32 GB max on card which equals 96 GB, or am I missing something? 96 GB is still great, though I have serious doubts that we'll see a 64 GB variant in the USA especially since there wan't even a 32 GB variant of the SG 2 in the USA.

EDIT: Oh I see. The microSD has a capacity of up to 64 GB now. That's 128 GB if we get a 64 GB internal variant in the USA. That alone is enough to sell me on it. There is no flash based storage device that currently exists that has that capacity - no phone, MP3 player or tablet. Plus you get REMOVEABLE storage, unlike any Apple device. I'm a happy man. :)

Last edited:

0m3ga

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2012
How do you some up with 128 GB? It's 64 GB onboard max plus 32 GB max on card which equals 96 GB, or am I missing something? 96 GB is still great, though I have serious doubts that we'll see a 64 GB variant in the USA especially since there wan't even a 32 GB variant of the SG 2 in the USA.

EDIT: Oh I see. The microSD has a capacity of up to 64 GB now. That's 128 GB if we get a 64 GB internal variant in the USA. That alone is enough to sell me on it. There is no flash based storage device that currently exists that has that capacity - no phone, MP3 player or tablet. Plus you get REMOVEABLE storage, unlike any Apple device. I'm a happy man. :)

yep, i currently have 64gb total internal and micro sd with my Skyrocket and IF we get the 64gb version of the S3 (and there is no reason we shouldn't), i'll have more space than I know what to do with. I will be able to put tons of movies, tv shows and books onto it for travel. This and the return of the multi-colored LED notification was enough to sell me on it. Everything else it does is just gravy.

I am already saving my pennies to buy an unlocked version direct from a Samsung retailer when it is available. Plus, you can sign-up now for early news and sales info on the S3 from the Samsung homepage. Looking at around $700 WITH a 64gb micro sd card, is my guess.

Tones2

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
yep, i currently have 64gb total internal and micro sd with my Skyrocket and IF we get the 64gb version of the S3 (and there is no reason we shouldn't), i'll have more space than I know what to do with. I will be able to put tons of movies, tv shows and books onto it for travel. This and the return of the multi-colored LED notification was enough to sell me on it. Everything else it does is just gravy.

I am already saving my pennies to buy an unlocked version direct from a Samsung retailer when it is available. Plus, you can sign-up now for early news and sales info on the S3 from the Samsung homepage. Looking at around $700 WITH a 64gb micro sd card, is my guess.

Yes, I'm with you all the way, but I'm still crossing my fingers that we'll gt a 64 GB variant, since the USA never did get a 32 GB version of the SG2, at least AT&T didn't. I also want 4G LTE so I'm not sure if that'll be offered as an unlocked USA variant.

0m3ga

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2012
Yes, I'm with you all the way, but I'm still crossing my fingers that we'll gt a 64 GB variant, since the USA never did get a 32 GB version of the SG2, at least AT&T didn't. I also want 4G LTE so I'm not sure if that'll be offered as an unlocked USA variant.

If you are buying a phone from a USA retailer, whether that is Samsung USA or whatever, you should get the USA variant. While my Skyrocket hS LTE capability, sadly I do not live in an LTE area yet. Supposedly, end of the year. Can't wait, because LTE is amazing.

Tones2

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
If you are buying a phone from a USA retailer, whether that is Samsung USA or whatever, you should get the USA variant. While my Skyrocket hS LTE capability, sadly I do not live in an LTE area yet. Supposedly, end of the year. Can't wait, because LTE is amazing.

Can you actually buy from Samsung directly in the USA? Did they have a 32GB SG2 variant in the USA? :confused:

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
I would get, and I hate to say it, a Galaxy S3!!! It's more powerful then the note, JUST smaller, runs ICS out the box and has enough power for the next OS and beyond. It's battery life I would guess is better then the One X too. It also offers iOS like features too.

HOWEVER, I would state that if you do want such a big device, you try one out or see one in the flesh before you buy it.

EDIT:
Ah, sorry I just read you want battery life, forget the One X then as I have read numerous reports of it having almost pathetic battery life. I am also going to guess you are using the phone as a work tool? Well I would look at the Note too, it seems to be pretty popular and gives decent battery life. Not as powerful as the S3 as it has a dual core and not quad core chip, but it depends on what you want it for as to weather or not you'll notice.

Watch this Galaxy Note review, the guy is very good and works in the phone tech world. He gets sent phones to review all the time and he states, despite the massive size, the Note is a fantastic device:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRWJVhJsL7w&feature=plcp

Last edited:

mrbutters

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2012
I'd go with any of those except the RAZR MAXX because of Motorola's locked bootloader. They all have little differences here and there; try them out at a VZW store and see which one you like the best.

LOL. Why is this on an iPhone forum with people clueless about Android phones? It took me 2 minutes to root my locked bootloader Razr Maxx. Means nothing. The battery lasts 3-4 times longer than any on this list on LTE. Its build quality is also superior to any of the others on this list. That was reason enough for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.