Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kyotoma

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2010
Carnegie and Ontario
Once and LTE iPhone is released, both AT&T and Verizon will be bogged down to a crawl so enjoy those speeds while you can.

I'll bet that most people don't think of this. Like the LTE outage that AT&T experienced in LA when the newest iPad came out.

I'll probably move to Verizon when the iPhone gets LTE. Better coverage nationwide and more LTE markets.

BTW: @MassiveAttack that's a great band. Mezzanine was a good album. ;)

JakeT85

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2012
Definitely ready to check out the new iPhone, will be sticking with AT&T. For my neighborhood Verizon has a super congested 3G tower and 4G doesn't reach my house (I'm in a subdivision with around 400 houses and it sits on 2 interstate systems, LTE could definitely benefit the area.) I can't complain though I get 4 bars with AT&T and I think that 3-5 mbps is plenty fast for any phone, especially with limited data caps now days.

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
hopefully people with iPhone 4/4S will then finally see good average speeds on 3G....lol

update: 6:26pm...
I mean that most people using android 3G phones and a good number of iPhone 3G/3GS users will jump onto the LTE version of iPhone.....leaving the 3G network a little bit less stressed....I am certain majority of all Verizon/Sprint users will be some of the early adopters as Verizon/Sprint 3G sucks due to it being CDMA....

Last edited:

Generik777

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2010
Since I have Verizon already and they are the only provider to offer LTE in my area, it makes the choice pretty simple. Although if given the choice of networks I would still choose Verizon.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Sticking with AT&T since I'm grandfathered with unlimited data. My city is also LTE covered.

0m3ga

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2012
Once you experience LTE, going back to 3G speeds blows! 16-20mb DL speeds and 12mb upload speeds on a cell phone or tablet! :p pure joy

mpossoff

macrumors 68020
Mar 21, 2010
Philadelphia
Once you experience LTE, going back to 3G speeds blows! 16-20mb DL speeds and 12mb upload speeds on a cell phone or tablet! :p pure joy

In real life user experience you can't tell the difference. Speeds are significant. Only when you do a speed test but a speed test doesn't really show real like experience. Example I get 6-7 down on HSPA+ on AT&T and get 12-14 didn't on my VZW LTE. If you load a you tube video VZW is faster but not significant. Ok it loads a video a second faster.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
In real life user experience you can't tell the difference. Speeds are significant. Only when you do a speed test but a speed test doesn't really show real like experience. Example I get 6-7 down on HSPA+ on AT&T and get 12-14 didn't on my VZW LTE. If you load a you tube video VZW is faster but not significant. Ok it loads a video a second faster.

Depends on the ping times. Long ping times on HSPA even at 6mpbs will feel slower tha LTE 15-30mpbs

If you have lower ping times on HSPA than 6mpbs will feel a lot slower than LTE.

mpossoff

macrumors 68020
Mar 21, 2010
Philadelphia
Depends on the ping times. Long ping times on HSPA even at 6mpbs will feel slower tha LTE 15-30mpbs

If you have lower ping times on HSPA than 6mpbs will feel a lot slower than LTE.

I never said LTE wasn't faster. I said in real life it's really not significantly faster than hspa +.Average Joe wouldn't know the difference.

erayser

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
San Diego
I've been using Verizon's LTE with my iPad 2 and my iPhone 4 since the iPad 2 came out last year. When the LTE iPhone comes out, I'm going with AT&T. Main reason is that Verizon's phone service is bad where I live... and I do like to use my iPhone as a phone once in a while... LOL... and since we have poor phone coverage here... our Verizon phones would run out of battery power fast because it's constantly looking for a signal. The other reason is when LTE switches to 3G when 4G LTE signal is low. My Verizon 4G LTE mifi has a horrible lag time when it switches... and when it goes to 3G, it can get really slow compared to my AT&T 3G... and at times... unusable. I'm hoping that AT&T will be a little better when it switches from LTE to 3G compared to Verizon 4G LTE mifi. Besides the lag time when switching from LTE to 3G... and the other way around... I'm still happy with Verizon. I'll still be a customer of both providers... but mainly going with AT&T for the phone service where I live. I'm a believer on going with the provider that gives you the best service for your location.

mpossoff

macrumors 68020
Mar 21, 2010
Philadelphia
I've been using Verizon's LTE with my iPad 2 and my iPhone 4 since the iPad 2 came out last year. When the LTE iPhone comes out, I'm going with AT&T. Main reason is that Verizon's phone service is bad where I live... and I do like to use my iPhone as a phone once in a while... LOL... and since we have poor phone coverage here... our Verizon phones would run out of battery power fast because it's constantly looking for a signal. The other reason is when LTE switches to 3G when 4G LTE signal is low. My Verizon 4G LTE mifi has a horrible lag time when it switches... and when it goes to 3G, it can get really slow compared to my AT&T 3G... and at times... unusable. I'm hoping that AT&T will be a little better when it switches from LTE to 3G compared to Verizon 4G LTE mifi. Besides the lag time when switching from LTE to 3G... and the other way around... I'm still happy with Verizon. I'll still be a customer of both providers... but mainly going with AT&T for the phone service where I live. I'm a believer on going with the provider that gives you the best service for your location.

AT&T will switch to HSPA+.

Eternal 28

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2008
Leaning towards sticking with my Verizon unlimited data since AT&T is throttling unlimited data 4g LTE users at 5gb. :mad:

Last edited:

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
AT&T offers LTE in my area and it's really fast using an HTC One X. I was surprised at just how fast it is when browsing the web.

If Apple is able to build an iPhone that will match this speed, it will be a step in the right direction. Even if the display lags behind at only 4.0", it's better than nothing.

TallGuy1970

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2010
I'm on AT&T. LTE is supposed to be here in my area about the same time the new iPhone is released (assuming a Sept/Oct release). Verizon LTE is already here.

I'll have to wait and see.

yeah

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
Once and LTE iPhone is released, both AT&T and Verizon will be bogged down to a crawl so enjoy those speeds while you can.

Not really. LTE is designed to be more efficient then other wireless networks (HSPA+, 3G, etc...). It is also designed to handle more people without waste of speed. LTE+ (LTE advanced) is a much different story (best part is, it's a software upgrade from LTE).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.