Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kylera

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 5, 2010
Seoul
As far as I know, Apple doesn't provide engraving services for MacBooks, so I am thinking about it when I get a new Air later this year. Is there anything I should take into consideration when getting the engraving, other than that I will not be able to sell it secondhand?

Oli3000

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2009
It might be wise to ask Apple if it will void the warranty. I can't see that it would as, for example, putting stickers on your MBA doesn't void it...

It's a fairly simple job having a laser cutter engrave aluminium so you should be alright.

kylera

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 5, 2010
Seoul
It might be wise to ask Apple if it will void the warranty. I can't see that it would as, for example, putting stickers on your MBA doesn't void it...

That's definitely something to keep in mind. Speaking of lasers, I would suppose that the laser would be powerful enough to leave the engraving, but not to fire through it and screw with the screen or the inner guts...I can ask that question to the relevant engraving shop.

Does anyone have other considerations?

kylera

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 5, 2010
Seoul
exactly that - on-selling.

'Rachel' may not want a Mac with 'George's baby' engraved on it :D

but if you do decide to go ahead, ploise ensure the spelin is eccurate

Lololol.

Of cours. I woold not mis my speling.

:p

Oli3000

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2009
That's definitely something to keep in mind. Speaking of lasers, I would suppose that the laser would be powerful enough to leave the engraving, but not to fire through it and screw with the screen or the inner guts...I can ask that question to the relevant engraving shop.

Does anyone have other considerations?

The lasers they use could probably easily cut it, but they vary the speed and the power to make sure it doesn't! It essentially would just etch the surface.

The other option is hand engraving, but much less accurate and normally needs to be thicker material!

Thinking about it, maybe best to get a pentalobe screwdriver and remove the base when engraving!

EDIT: I'm presuming you are engraving the base? I personally would NOT engrave the top cover - you just don't know how hot that focal area may get and the risks that could have for the LCD!

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
The lasers they use could probably easily cut it, but they vary the speed and the power to make sure it doesn't! It essentially would just etch the surface.

Seriously? I highly doubt an engraving place has a laser that can cut straight through a thick piece of aluminium, but I could be wrong. Sounds like James Bond stuff to me.

Oli3000

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2009
Seriously? I highly doubt an engraving place has a laser that can cut straight through a thick piece of aluminium, but I could be wrong. Sounds like James Bond stuff to me.

Yep, seriously! The smallest ones on here would easily cut though the bottom casing of an MBA.

http://www.cct-uk.com/laser_cutting_machines.htm

The industrial size ones will do much thicker!

gmikesell

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2009
I just had mine laser engraved yesterday (see here: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1366494/). I called Apple support and the rep confirmed over the phone that it does not void warranty unless there is evident 'burn through'. Everything worked out fine and you can see my finished product at the link.

As far as advice, I would advise that when you have your artwork together and submit, be sure to request a proof and a pic of a test burn. Both of those can very greatly from your original visualization of what you are wanting done.

Lastly, if you engage someone to start working on your project and at the last minute, get cold feet, be prepared to at least pay the minimum artwork charge. In the long run, even that would be cheaper than following through on something that might keep you up at night, having tatoo'd your $1000+ machine.

gentlefury

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Unless you plan on keeping it forever and tossing it in the trash when your done I would advise against it! Personal engravings devalue devices to basically nothing...since nobody wants to buy something personalized to someone else. And the great thing about apple products is their value retention. When the 2012 refresh hits you will be able to sell the 2012 for a couple hundred dollar loss and upgrade for super cheap!

kylera

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 5, 2010
Seoul
Unless you plan on keeping it forever and tossing it in the trash when your done I would advise against it! Personal engravings devalue devices to basically nothing...since nobody wants to buy something personalized to someone else. And the great thing about apple products is their value retention. When the 2012 refresh hits you will be able to sell the 2012 for a couple hundred dollar loss and upgrade for super cheap!

Actually, that is what I am planning to do with the Air once I get it. I figure if I have used a PowerBook for this long, I might as well repeat with the Air, so I am not so worried about retaining secondhand value. To each his own, though. I know plenty of people who pay real close attention to battery cycles and other details so they can maximize resale value, but to me, this will be a tool for productivity.

I just had mine laser engraved yesterday (see here: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1366494/). I called Apple support and the rep confirmed over the phone that it does not void warranty unless there is evident 'burn through'. Everything worked out fine and you can see my finished product at the link.

As far as advice, I would advise that when you have your artwork together and submit, be sure to request a proof and a pic of a test burn. Both of those can very greatly from your original visualization of what you are wanting done.

Lastly, if you engage someone to start working on your project and at the last minute, get cold feet, be prepared to at least pay the minimum artwork charge. In the long run, even that would be cheaper than following through on something that might keep you up at night, having tatoo'd your $1000+ machine.

I just saw how another member referred my post there, so much thanks for the link. I do not plan to have something as fancy as what you did, but your engraving is proof that it definitely is viable.

Last edited:

Oracle1729

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2009
Yep, seriously! The smallest ones on here would easily cut though the bottom casing of an MBA.

http://www.cct-uk.com/laser_cutting_machines.htm

The industrial size ones will do much thicker!

I really, really wish there weren't so many clueless people posting as if they knew something on here. Those laser cutters you linked will not cut through the bottom case of an MBA. They won't even cut through aluminum foil. Your post shows a total misunderstanding of how laser cutters work.

there are industrial models that will easily cut 2 inch steel, but there's a big difference between those and the basic low-to-midrange machines.

If you look at the page you linked, they don't mention anything metal as a material that can be cut, and that's because it can't even mark the thinnest metal.

It can engrave a macbook case by reacting the frosted surface texture, but it can not penetrate the metal at all.

So really, why do you waste our time with a post when you have no clue what you're talking about and just make things up as you go along?

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
I would make the engraving REALLY personal

The Macbook Air; it's nice and thin...here's the gift now slip it in.

Or something along those lines. That way, you're sure to never be able to resell it and then your kids will wonder what the hell kind of person would hold on to a 40 year-old piece of electronic hardware. Then they'll flip it over...=awesomeness.

Or you could do something boring like: Happy Mother's Day, or whatever.

Oli3000

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2009
I really, really wish there weren't so many clueless people posting as if they knew something on here. Those laser cutters you linked will not cut through the bottom case of an MBA. They won't even cut through aluminum foil. Your post shows a total misunderstanding of how laser cutters work.

there are industrial models that will easily cut 2 inch steel, but there's a big difference between those and the basic low-to-midrange machines.

If you look at the page you linked, they don't mention anything metal as a material that can be cut, and that's because it can't even mark the thinnest metal.

It can engrave a macbook case by reacting the frosted surface texture, but it can not penetrate the metal at all.

So really, why do you waste our time with a post when you have no clue what you're talking about and just make things up as you go along?

Wow, thanks for the love.

I worked with a similar laser cutter for two years, and although I am aware they are not designed for cutting through metal, I was certain we got ours to slice some very thin metals... To be honest the website I linked was the top result in google and I didn't bother checking my facts. Having said that, you're right, I don't know exactly how they work, I never claimed to the be the expert. Ofcourse a quick google tells me I'd need 1000 watts to cut aluminium, not the 150 I linked. That's what I get for never bothering to learn about them.

Perhaps this link would have pleased you more:
http://www.kernlasers.com/metal_cutting.htm

That's presuming the place you go to has one of those, my point was to be careful, as the big ones can slice through, as you say, 2inch steel. If it was me, I'd still probably take the casing off unless I was absolutely confident. Ive seen people ruin enough stuff to know that monkeys make mistakes!

Why don't you take your agressive attitude somehere else? It's lovely how you get shot down for trying to help.

Last edited:

kylera

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 5, 2010
Seoul
Whoa, whoa!

As the thread starter and the one who asked for opinions, let me butt in before this thread descends into virtual chaos.

gmikesell's picture of an Air with an engraving on the lid was definite proof that engraving is possible, and more so for me because I don't want anything as fancy as he/she got.

Oracle1729 further added to gmikessell practically verifying the possibility.

Even though Oli3000 might have claimed to not checking the facts before posting, he/she did point out that I have to watch out for exactly what lasers are being used to do the engraving.

In conclusion, it means I shouldn't just walk into any engraving shop and toss them my future Air.

So my thanks go out to gmikesell, Oracle1729 AND Oli3000.

Having said that, Oracle1729 and Oli3000, please make up. We already have enough members ripping one another apart over claimed lack of knowledge, but we're all human and we make mistakes. :)

Oli3000

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2009
As the thread starter and the one who asked for opinions, let me butt in before this thread descends into virtual chaos.

gmikesell's picture of an Air with an engraving on the lid was definite proof that engraving is possible, and more so for me because I don't want anything as fancy as he/she got.

Oracle1729 further added to gmikessell practically verifying the possibility.

Even though Oli3000 might have claimed to not checking the facts before posting, he/she did point out that I have to watch out for exactly what lasers are being used to do the engraving.

In conclusion, it means I shouldn't just walk into any engraving shop and toss them my future Air.

So my thanks go out to gmikesell, Oracle1729 AND Oli3000.

Having said that, Oracle1729 and Oli3000, please make up. We already have enough members ripping one another apart over claimed lack of knowledge, but we're all human and we make mistakes. :)

:p

This cheered me up this morning, instead:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-17949808

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.