Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

energizerwallcharger.jpg

Energizer has introduced a pair of new 5-watt iPhone chargers that aim to keep a handle on charging cables when not in use.

The car charger has the wrap-around cable storage, and a nifty "FindMe" light that illuminates the inside of the USB port for easy plugging in a dark car.

The wall charger includes flip-down blades as well as a blue light that turns off when the iPhone is fully charged.

The wall adapter is $17 on Amazon, $12 less than the Apple-branded wall-adapter. The Energizer adapters only push 5 watts of power, plenty for an iPhone but it will charge an iPad -- particularly the new iPad -- very slowly.

The car charger has been announced but doesn't have a shipping date.

Article Link: Energizer Introduces New Wrap-Around iPhone Chargers

smileyborg

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2009
Chargers don't "push" power to devices, they provide voltage and allow the device to draw up to a certain current (in this case, 1A at 5V = 5W). The iPad can draw up to 2.1A if available (which it's not from this 5W charger).

GSPice

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2008
Chargers don't "push" power to devices, they provide voltage and allow the device to draw up to a certain current (in this case, 1A at 5V = 5W). The iPad can draw up to 2.1A if available (which it's not from this 5W charger).

The friendly neighborhood tech police.. :rolleyes:

Paulioo

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2012
I wonder how long it will be until they are available, It will be nice to have a quality choice instead of all the cheapies

JamesGorman

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2008
Winnipeg
So you can wrap the already too short cord? I like the charger, it looks nice, but I don't think id use the wrap "feature" unless I was trying to store the charger.

rcappo

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2010
I measured my iPhone and it uses 8 watts to recharge with the screen on (7.75W off). But that includes the power loss in the Apple charger.

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
I'd love to have a version that would charge the iPad as fast as Apple's supplied charger. The only other "fast" iPad charger I've used is my Monoprice surge protector which has USB ports built-in. The idea to keep cords from being tangled in this way is pretty cool, it's not the first to attempt to do this, but this is the first that I would consider buying. Especially since the price seems right!

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
Ok, I think I saw this a few days ago. I can't remember if I saw it online or in an actual B&M store. If it was in a store, they are both available.

Sorry I don't have more info.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
There is NO point to this charger unless it can also properly do the iPad. I just don't understand how that could be left out.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
I'd love to have a version that would charge the iPad as fast as Apple's supplied charger. The only other "fast" iPad charger I've used is my Monoprice surge protector which has USB ports built-in. The idea to keep cords from being tangled in this way is pretty cool, it's not the first to attempt to do this, but this is the first that I would consider buying. Especially since the price seems right!

http://www.amazon.com/Cosmos-Adapter-Charger-shuffle-classic/dp/B0052RM8T2/ref=pd_cp_e_0

Just don't charge anything else at the same time as the iPad.

gri

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2004
New York City, aka Big Apple

rbrian

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
Aberdeen, Scotland
I wonder if the low wattage has something to do with the wrapped cable? An extension reel generally has two ratings - one for a fully extended cable, and another lower one for when its all coiled.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.