Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Walter Bell

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2010
What I like about ICS is that I can do everything I can do on my iphone without having to root or anything. Granted, I dont use all the features on my iphone (nor does anyone use the same exact features as myself), but the ones I do use also work equally well on the One X.

But man the screen is amazing. I really hope apple steps it up a notch this fall as the HTC One X is the device to beat on the market today. Sunday can't come any faster.

Peterg2

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2008
Montreal, Canada
What I like about ICS is that I can do everything I can do on my iphone without having to root or anything. Granted, I dont use all the features on my iphone (nor does anyone use the same exact features as myself), but the ones I do use also work equally well on the One X.

But man the screen is amazing. I really hope apple steps it up a notch this fall as the HTC One X is the device to beat on the market today. Sunday can't come any faster.

If I were to buy a phone now, the North American One X would be the one I would buy, even if the SIII, probably with the same S4 (Krait), were available now as well. Most definitely, *for me* -without a screen size bump on the upcoming iphone and a changed design from the glass sandwich, I will go Android - unless of course Nokia hit it out of the park with their Windows phone 8 version later this year. I am essentially OS agnostic.

bobTX10

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2011
Man oh man. Just got this phone as my pre order shipment came early! Can't put it down! When I first put it in my hand it was like no phone I have ever felt before. So great to hold and so lightweight. The screen is truly something to see for yourself. It definitely deserves as much praise as it is getting. Im installing all my apps and there is no lag. I worked this phones ass doing all sorts of multitasking and the thing took it like a champ. I don't mind storage at all as I have my iPod for all my music, 16 will be plenty to just add my top rated. AT&T lte is ridiculously fast. Coming from sprint, data speeds are leaps and bounds.

Some cons so far... The speaker is weak. Not ridiculously weak but still weak to where I would barely hear it in a loud open environment:(. Also this is a weird con but the charging cord it comes with is too short lol. Another thing is the led. I'm thankfully that it has one but it's hard to see without looking at the phone directly.

All in all, I couldn't be happier. From hardware to software it's an incredible device. As people are vested in iOS (as I am with my iPad and iPod) I'm am vested in android for my phone. It was amazing to put in my google account and have my phone sync my settings down to my favorite contacts. Now back to playing...

El3ctronics

macrumors 65816
Mar 30, 2011
NYC
Man oh man. Just got this phone as my pre order shipment came early! Can't put it down! When I first put it in my hand it was like no phone I have ever felt before. So great to hold and so lightweight. The screen is truly something to see for yourself. It definitely deserves as much praise as it is getting. Im installing all my apps and there is no lag. I worked this phones ass doing all sorts of multitasking and the thing took it like a champ. I don't mind storage at all as I have my iPod for all my music, 16 will be plenty to just add my top rated. AT&T lte is ridiculously fast. Coming from sprint, data speeds are leaps and bounds.

Some cons so far... The speaker is weak. Not ridiculously weak but still weak to where I would barely hear it in a loud open environment:(. Also this is a weird con but the charging cord it comes with is too short lol. Another thing is the led. I'm thankfully that it has one but it's hard to see without looking at the phone directly.

All in all, I couldn't be happier. From hardware to software it's an incredible device. As people are vested in iOS (as I am with my iPad and iPod) I'm am vested in android for my phone. It was amazing to put in my google account and have my phone sync my settings down to my favorite contacts. Now back to playing...

Thanks for the info...could you give us more info and some of your impressions as you have time to use the device?

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
2nd part is irrelevant as long as I can install a custom ROM.

The Rogers and AT&T versions are virtually identical so if the Rogers one was able to be rooted you could be sure it's only a matter of time before the AT&T one is as well. Remember, the AT&T version isn't being delivered until tomorrow to those who pre-ordered so almost nobody has it yet...kinda hard to have development on a device before it's released!
And here it is... users of the AT&T version of the One X cannot unlock the bootloaders.
The Rogers (Canadian) versions can be unlocked.
So AT&T has effed their customers again.

http://www.modaco.com/page/news/_/android/is-att-preventing-the-htc-one-x-bootloader-r479

As many of you know, i've been rocking a AT&T HTC One X for the past 2 weeks and I LOVE IT! What has been a concern though is that I haven't been able to unlock the bootloader via HTCdev, something I assumed might be related to it being a non release unit. Well, retail units are now hitting customers... and it doesn't look good.

The same 'MID ERROR 160' that I have experienced is also happening to units being delivered to customers today, and has apparently has been present on other AT&T devices in the past. This points to the fact that for whatever reason, the AT&T devices are deliberately not unlockable. We have had confirmation that Rogers One X units (essentially the same hardware) do unlock fine, which does lead us to think that this is not an accident!

El3ctronics

macrumors 65816
Mar 30, 2011
NYC

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
It's just a matter of time...same issue with many past AT&T devices but in due time AT&T allows the bootloaders to be unlocked.
I wouldn't count on it.
I remember when I got my Atrix, they said they were going to unlock the bootloader "by Q3 of 2011".
To this day, it is still not "officially" unlocked. Moto *cough* accidentally leaked *cough* the unlock code, but AT&T still hasn't sanctioned it.

El3ctronics

macrumors 65816
Mar 30, 2011
NYC
I wouldn't count on it.
I remember when I got my Atrix, they said they were going to unlock the bootloader "by Q3 of 2011".
To this day, it is still not "officially" unlocked. Moto *cough* accidentally leaked *cough* the unlock code, but AT&T still hasn't sanctioned it.

I'm quite confident it will be unlocked fairly soon.

Walter Bell

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2010
Where are the reviews from the public! I know some of you got your phones today. I have to wait 2 more days.

FWIW, I wonder if people line up for Android phones like they do iPhones. Not sure what to expect this sunday or how early to get to the store.

roberthodgson

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2010
I looked into switching to a One X it looks like a great phone the only issue I have is the warranty 1 to 2 weeks for repairs is to long. I have been spoiled by Apples on the spot replacements.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
I've seen this mentioned a few times in reviews. Seems annoying.......

"And speaking of Wi-Fi, the One X does something odd and annoying. It’s set up to connect automatically to the carrier’s Wi-Fi hotspots, with the attwifi SSID locked into the remembered network names. You can’t tell the One X to “forget” the AT&T SSID, which means it tries to connect to it whenever it’s found, even if that’s not what you want. The only way to avoid this is to turn Wi-Fi off completely." - Houston Chronicle review.

Also to anyone getting the One X this week at AT&T, keep an eye on wi-fi performance. I'm seeing that it's an issue for some members over at XDA.

I'm on the fence about using my contract upgrade for the One X. I'd rather keep that option open for this fall in case I want the next iPhone. If I can find the One X locally on Craigslist for cheap, I might go for it. But I seriously doubt that will be an option.

appleofmy"i"

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2010
I played with a One X yesterday and there was this annoying ....not lag....but some hesitation to the interface that just disappointed me.

MotionxxUSxx

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2007
Got my phone yesterday. Coming from the 4s it is very refreshing. It is definitely a great phone. My biggest issue is the size. I always thought I wanted a bigger phone but it's not comfortable using one handed. I'm actually getting that itch for my iPhone.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
appleofmy"i";14822550 said:
I played with a One X yesterday and there was this annoying ....not lag....but some hesitation to the interface that just disappointed me.

It's called Android, and sense 4.0. I've never had that problem with an iOS device. :D

Tobias Funke

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2012
appleofmy"i";14822550 said:

Same thing I noticed.

Also happened on the one S as well.

Peterg2

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Same thing I noticed.

Also happened on the one S as well.

It seems that no matter the processor used, unless one goes with Vanilla ICS you are not going to have exactly the fluidity of iOS or Windows Phone 7/7.5 The same thing is apparently being reported by ars technica re the Galaxy SIII:

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news...tm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=rss

The software felt fast and responsive for the most part. There was the occasional sluggish animation or slight delay while scrolling, but in general, the software felt smooth, if a bit complex and busy

That said, even using the HTC Amaze of my girlfriend which has the heavier Sense 3.5, the occasional slight lag and occasional jerkiness does not materially detract from the experience at all *to me*.

ipodlover77

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2009
ah i want this phone so badly. the rave reviews about the screen has me wanting the one x.

the only thing is, is the screen worth it enough for me to get over android? :eek:

Dangerdog3000

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2009
ah i want this phone so badly. the rave reviews about the screen has me wanting the one x.

the only thing is, is the screen worth it enough for me to get over android? :eek:

Ditto. But i'm gonna shoot for it. Bought an iPhone 4 in July 2010 and I don't have the patience to wait till this fall for the next iPhone. Not to mention that my phone is starting to feel incredibly slow to the point where I don't even want to use it.

If you're only in it for the screen, I'm not sure it's such a good idea to switch though. Switching because you want a larger screen size makes sense, but switching because you want a better quality screen doesn't really make much sense because the 4/4S is no slacker in the department.

I won't be giving up iOS though. I'm going to use my sisters old 3GS as an itouch so I can keep all my paid apps. My dad is going to be using my 4 otherwise I would have used that.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
Ditto. But i'm gonna shoot for it. Bought an iPhone 4 in July 2010 and I don't have the patience to wait till this fall for the next iPhone. Not to mention that my phone is starting to feel incredibly slow to the point where I don't even want to use it.

If you're only in it for the screen, I'm not sure it's such a good idea to switch though. Switching because you want a larger screen size makes sense, but switching because you want a better quality screen doesn't really make much sense because the 4/4S is no slacker in the department.

I won't be giving up iOS though. I'm going to use my sisters old 3GS as an itouch so I can keep all my paid apps. My dad is going to be using my 4 otherwise I would have used that.

I got my iPhone 4 the same month and year. The timing of the next iPhone is just so incredibly annoying. I just want the new one to come out at WWDC. But instead we most likely have to wait until this fall. (I know, not that long away but still.)

If it weren't for the early upgrade fee, I'd probably just get the One X now, and then maybe jump to the new iPhone this fall. But it would be really stupid of me to upgrade to the One X and then potentially pay the $250 EUF for the next iPhone.

As much as I have enjoyed my brief time demoing the One X, what I truly want is a better iPhone. (LTE and a larger screen.) This is annoying.

pogiboi

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2008
So i've had the One X since Thursday. Awesome phone but Android will never be as "Smooth" as iOS. My biggest gripe is the Mail app, it is very unreliable with exchange accounts. You cannot rely on it to push when an e-mail comes in like you can with iOS and Blackberry. Other than this, it's an amazing phone. ATT LTE ftw

MotionxxUSxx

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2007
So i've had the One X since Thursday. Awesome phone but Android will never be as "Smooth" as iOS. My biggest gripe is the Mail app, it is very unreliable with exchange accounts. You cannot rely on it to push when an e-mail comes in like you can with iOS and Blackberry. Other than this, it's an amazing phone. ATT LTE ftw

are you keeping it? I'm 50/50 but leaning towards returning it.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
More phones NEED stock ICS. I think these skins like sense, and touch wiz potentially keep me from jumping on a phone like this. The hardware on this device is awesome! but I just cannot get excited about a skinned version of android.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.