Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iDownloadBlog points to a new YouTube concept video showing one user's idea of how Apple could vastly improve the text editing functionality on the iPad and other iOS devices.

ipad_text_edit_concept.jpg

While the current method of text selection involves tapping and dragging around the screen to select cursor position and highlight text, Daniel Hooper suggests that Apple could make use of gestures in the keyboard area of the screen to easily move the cursor in text fields. Simply holding down the keyboard's shift key while gesturing would easily select sections of text for editing.

The suggestion is of course not an official product of Apple's software designers, and so Hooper has also provided instructions on how to use Apple's bug reporting system to suggest the feature to the company's engineers. Apple maintains a policy discouraging users from submitting unsolicited ideas, but notes that it retains the full rights associated with ideas that are submitted to the company.

Article Link: Concept Video Suggests Means to Vastly Improve Text Editing in iOS

JS77

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2008
Apple absolutely HAVE to integrate this into iOS. Editing text in messages/emails is painfully slow, awkward and cumbersome at present.

TvdW

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2011
This would break the keyboard for many non-English languages.

Really hoping Apple won't implement this. Sorry.

DraziGuy

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2009
That is so much better than what exists now. It has been a pet peeve of mine since I got my iPhone how much of a pain in the ass it is to correct typos.

Unrelated: Why the obnoxious music blasting me when I load the video?

doobybiggs

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2012
thats pretty slick there ... not sure why this has not already been implemented. I would think this would of been something looked at from the very beginning :confused:

----------

how?

Macopotamus

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2010
Interesting concept, but this is more complicated than the current method which means Apple won't implement it. Editing could certainly be improved but they're not about to make something more complex, Apple simplifies.

----------

Unrelated: Why the obnoxious music blasting me when I load the video?

It's a requirement for all YouTube videos: play music nobody wants to hear

drummerdude1390

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2011
USA
Easy Solution

As usual, some people seem to really want this feature, and some people really don't.

There's a nice compromise: be able to turn the feature on or off in the Keyboard settings.

Boom. Everyone wins.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
I really like the idea. I don't think it's that much more complicated a system than what's already in place. The problem with the current selection process, especially on the iPhone, is that it's hard to see what you're selecting. The little magnifying glass doesn't always work as it should, and often my finger is in the way of seeing the text. Swiping the keyboard makes a lot of sense.

ristlin

Mar 29, 2012
*after watching the video*

"I told you we should have hired him, Larry." -Apple designer 1

"But he was slowest in answering the highest floor he could drop an iPhone without breaking it!" -Apple designer 2

rootyb

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2009
I'd *love* this, but, just to play devil's advocate a bit:

1) This would likely interfere with the existing tap/hold function of the keyboard (most keys will offer other characters if you tap and hold on them). Not everyone (especially most of Apple's iPad demographic) is as quick about things, so they could easily trigger the foreign character picker accidentally. It's definitely not "Apple-ish" for the "other characters" selector to pop up on a key while you were trying to select text.

2) The two-finger gesture wouldn't really work non-iPad iOS devices, because most (IMO) users just type with their thumbs. It could just be an extra gesture on the iPad, though.

That's all I've got. Now make this happen please apple kthx.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
Awesome idea, I freaking hate editing text on iOS. Also, it would be great to have a button to quickly turn AutoCorrect on and off. I hate that thing, it only works well in English. In other languages it just suggests random words with absolutely nothing in common with what I wanted to type.

Simplicated

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2008
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
I really would like to see this implemented on the iPad, but might not be practical on the iPhone.. On the iPhone you swipe in the keyboard to quickly select another key, because the keys are too small that you're likely going to make mistakes.

MrAppleseed

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2010

I don’t know why you’re being voted down for this. You’re absolutely right. As a German, I make use of the swiping up gesture on certain lettres to get a special character. This would likely sometimes interfere with the idea to swipe up if you want to go up with the curser.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.