Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jgc

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2012
Canada
It's all but certain now that an Apple Store will be open in Halifax, Nova Scotia before the end of the Summer.

Major structural additions to the Halifax Shopping Centre finished in late March, and interior renovations are well underway. Some trademark Apple-style exterior glass is now being installed in a brand new upper level retail space next to Sears (formerly open air), and architect's drawings have been leaked revealing the general store layout.

Job postings for every level of the Apple retail hierarchy, from Store Manager to Genius to Inventory, have been online at Apple Canada's website for about a month now, but neither Apple nor the Halifax Shopping Centre have officially confirmed anything.

Edit:
It is now official. Check out the "New Stores, New Opportunities" box on the right side of this page. Halifax, Nova Scotia is now officially listed.

Nice. About time, too, however I'll be in Calgary this summer when the new notebooks are (supposedly) released so it won't affect me. I was thinking that if Regina got one then Halifax sure as hell deserved one haha.

CalfCanuck

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2003
The province only has 1 million people, who cares which city is the capital? Jeez, yokels.

Also, Regina sucks and the Apple store should be in the Midtown, not the Cornwall. Regina doesn't even have a proper starbucks, WTF will they do with an Apple Store?

They need to build them somewhere. The greater San Francisco Bay Area (7 million people) already has about 18 Apple stores - do they need more when there already must be one within a 15 minute drive for most people?

The economics of direct sales of Pads, iPhones, etc. really changes the game. Assuming you can capture an extra $150 per iPad by selling Apple directly rather than just wholesaling, just selling 10,000 iPads a year at this store will net $1.5 million extra cash to Apple. That is just 1 for every 20 residents, which is far less than the iPad's market penetration... Not to mention probable savings in repair expenses for current Apple product owners by having the customers bring their items in themselves.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
It is now official. Check out the "New Stores, New Opportunities" box on the right side of this page. Halifax, Nova Scotia is now officially listed.

Cool! I was in Halifax just a few weeks ago. Nice city, but pretty quiet on Sundays ;) I enjoyed eating at Wharf Wraps, McKelvie's, and John's Lunch -- wow :eek:

Hope to be back!

SirDaav

Jun 26, 2010
BS on here

Your Regina/SpittOon crap just shows what a bunch of yokels you are and as for education levels - lines like "Saskatchewan is the only jurisdiction in North America that isn't running a deficit " is utter BS and SK doesnt have the fastest growth of anything in North America either, that is political lies. Alberta still has better growth than SK, in jobs, in reducing taxes...saskatoon has rising unemployment last 2 quarters...

As for population growth, ferrying in thousands from the third world to work McJobs is hardly success... That province need 20-30 years of growth to match other cities.

Sorry, but the reality is, it's still a backwater with high crime, low per capita incomes, sky high disease rates and more cops per capita in Regina than any other in city in the country but highest violent crime, some of the highest city taxes in North America, some of the worst roads... Just google it, it all shows up.

Disease is so bad there they just discovered a new variant of HIV unique to the province...

And they worry about getting their first Starbucks or Apple store?

Ingot

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2010
Your Regina/SpittOon crap just shows what a bunch of yokels you are and as for education levels - lines like "Saskatchewan is the only jurisdiction in North America that isn't running a deficit " is utter BS and SK doesnt have the fastest growth of anything in North America either, that is political lies. Alberta still has better growth than SK, in jobs, in reducing taxes...saskatoon has rising unemployment last 2 quarters...

As for population growth, ferrying in thousands from the third world to work McJobs is hardly success... That province need 20-30 years of growth to match other cities.

Sorry, but the reality is, it's still a backwater with high crime, low per capita incomes, sky high disease rates and more cops per capita in Regina than any other in city in the country but highest violent crime, some of the highest city taxes in North America, some of the worst roads... Just google it, it all shows up.

Disease is so bad there they just discovered a new variant of HIV unique to the province...

And they worry about getting their first Starbucks or Apple store?

Alberta government is running a deficit. Not a balanced budget. And what a bunch of brain dead voters there. Your last election proves it. And your jobs are mostly part time westjet jobs. Been there done that and got the t-shirt (off your mom at a wet t-shirt contest... and she was the one wiping the floor after the fact). Sorry to say. Alberta is Alabama north. Man what a hicksville. Still teach that the Earth is only 6000 years old. Now I am off to my summer home. In Paris. My Mcjob I have just created more wealth for me as I fatten you Albertans up. You guys eat anything...

Verbatim Cookie

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2012
Yikes! This Noo Yawker was under the impression that Canadians were pleasant folk, but look at all the inter-regional sniping in this thread! :eek:

Nice to see the size of the Apple Store-less radius was corrected (from 700 miles to 300) but the correction was made without notation. :rolleyes: Don't the mods here have the ability to strike-through?
Regina doesn't even have a proper starbucks...
Who needs Starbucks when you've got Tim's? :D

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea

canman4PM

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2012
Kelowna BC
Canada Hates Itself

Seen in a toilet stall in an Airdrie AB restaurant:

"Here I sit all tired and hurtin',
Given birth to another Albertian" [sp]

And below was written:

"Nice spelling. Must be from Sascratchyerbum."

I laughed.

The "nice" thing is a front. It's to suck you all in while we take over the world.

Last edited:

crazycanucks

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2010
Pretty pathetic that Sask doesnt have an Apple store or a Starbucks? Dont tell me that Tim's has the best coffee around...

Hell on 1 intersection in downtown Vancouver there are 2 Starbucks kitty corner to each other...

And Albertans calling Sask people out??? Cmon man

SirDaav

Jun 26, 2010
Alberta running running a deficit???

I am not an Abertan, but Alberta runs a deficit for a year or two, with better job groth this last year than Sask, and you think Sask issomehow better?

Look at the last 10 years, hey, 20years, while you jet off to Paris remember that the rest of country had Sask running on welfare handouts these past few decades, and just like in Aberta, you cannot take any pride in finding yourself sitting on oil, or another mneral - you did not make it, just luck it is there... You behave as if it is because you are clever,mthat probably shows ou are not...

I still say the Regina v Saskatoon snipes shows why they should not put an Apple store there, but frankly, give the crime and disease rates in that hellhole, you would think they'd put their energy into far more constructive things...like roads, or curtting back on HIV infections, or drug use, Chlamydia, violent crime (regina often takes the lock off winnipeg, often) - you name it, far, far worse things to worry about... All of them nation beating.

As for growth, they all move there from the 3rd world. So you open a tap from a developing world and take pride in that people 'chose to live there', lol, in 3 years they will be gone.... Wall just made it easy for them to queue jump out of the crap hole they lived in... That's success?

Flying people from India to workpart time jobs at Subway just kills me... Meanwhile unemployment rises in Saskatoon and other towns, so now you've just flown in more benefit claimants.... Ridiculous.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.