Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
Love you fanboy guys. Apple making huge profit margin = GREAT. ATT&T making small profit margin = EVIL. :rolleyes:

The difference is that Apple provides quality products that are worth the prices they charge.

All AT&T provides for their prices are crappy service, slow data, and more restrictions. If AT&T provided service that matched their prices, few people would be complaining about them.

SirOmega

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2006
Las Vegas
*THATS* his regret? Unlimited data?

How about that waste-of-time, cost the company $4B in cash & spectrum, colossal strategy ****up known as the T-Mobile merger? That set AT&T back 2-3 years in terms of spectrum acquisitions for LTE and beyond. Not only did they lose $3B in cash they needed to invest in their network, they lost AWS spectrum they could have used to build out more LTE. Now they have to go out and spend 6-7B to get Dish Network's 40MHz AWS-adjacent spectrum and use that to match up with Verizon.

This mistake cost them $10B. I'm having a hard time thinking that unlimited data cost them more.

Tones2

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
Apple makes profit fairly. Cellular companies charge people ridiculous amounts for almost nothing. Being a company that charges monthly they are accustomed to force people to pay ridiculously huge bills... You don't get this attitude from Apple. Can you imagine Tim Cook saying something like this? Apple things have gotten way cheaper over time as technology gets better. Why should carriers get to charge more and more because they get more use? The more use should give them more business and more money... It's the mindset... If you cannot see this then you have no place on this website.

What are you smoking? AT&T building cellular infrastructure and has a whole company that supports that service. More use means a larger infrastructure and more people to support it. :rolleyes: Usage is growing faster than they can build infrastructure. I'm not a big AT&T fan either,but it's business model makes more sense to me than Apple's - the later of which hold BACK technology so that we will buy the next device while they make 30% profit. Now THAT'S a scam.

tiffb1221

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2012
That is crazy!

Hi guys! I read MacRumors everyday however this is my first post! I had to comment.

All I can say is SERIOUSLY! AT&T is raking in the BIG bucks! I pay $30 per month for unlimited messaging for 2 people. iMessage is not hurting them at all. Not everyone has an iPhone. Too bad Apple didn't choose a different carrier to start out with. What a creep!

Tones2

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
The difference is that Apple provides quality products that are worth the prices they charge.

All AT&T provides for their prices are crappy service, slow data, and more restrictions. If AT&T provided service that matched their prices, few people would be complaining about them.

This is YOUR opinion.

swarmster

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2004
"You lie awake at night worrying about what is that which will disrupt your business model"

I'm sorry, but what CEO says that besides one that thinks they're getting away with something in their current business model? And/or has no desire to evolve.

conartist4u

macrumors regular
May 4, 2012
Lima Peru
I always thought introducing the unlocking service would hit sales hard as even new full priced iPhones could not be unlocked....

maybe next quarter we'll see a change in his disposition :)

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
Love you fanboy guys. Apple making huge profit margin = GREAT. ATT&T making small profit margin = EVIL. :rolleyes:

I think about it's how they go about it.

I am all for companies making profits. But when this ass stands up and says I should have never offered something and backs that up with throttling, well the next gen iPhone can't come soon enough so I can change service providers.

JohnDoe98

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2009
AT&T isn't holding it back. They just want to charge you more for more data, so they can make an outrageous profit. Same as Apple.

If you say so. Had I been at AT&T I would have developed a iMessage, FaceTime, and Talktime myself and sold the App on the iTunes store and Android store before Apple came around to doing it themselves. I would have made money selling those apps and inter-connecting my users. Instead, they sit on the legacy models and then whine when other companies take advantage of the new technologies.

Their greed right now will only bite them in the derriere later on. They need to get ahead of the curve if they don't want to end up being dumb data pipes. With the way they are headed though, it's hard not to predict AT&T has nothing up their sleeves.

Supra Mac

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2012
Texas
I reget unlimited data.

I instantly reget saying I reget unlimited data, now I look like a D-bag and will not sleep tonight.

shinobi-81

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2012
I fail to see why it's greedy to worry about something which can cause bankruptcy. However, AT&T should adjust to the market and their users instead of whining about iMessage. It's not the users' problem (nor is it Apple's problem) that AT&T needs to reconsider what they charge for SMS. It wouldn't surprise me if AT&T are even lobbying against the existence of Skype and iMessage for security reasons (difficult to surveil).

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
"[iMessage] is disruptive to our messaging revenue stream"

He makes a point about the variable costs and unlimited data plans, then he has the gall to try to link that to their pure-profit texting revenue stream, which basically has zero costs beyond keeping their cell network online.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Moron. Data plans were incredibly confusing back then, especially because no one really knew how much data they needed. So in order to have a nice, easy to understand internet experience, Apple pushed for a simple unlimited plan. For every person using massive amounts of data, there's 10 who barely use any.

That's great for the 10% who use a lot. What about the 90% who don't? You are basically wanting them to subsidize you. Lovely.

Michael

danahn17

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2009

Well technically, one of the common criticisms of Apple is that they have pretty packages and form-factors but their hardware and specs are well behind their competitors... yet Apple still charges a premium for their products.

PhxTriode

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Yet you AT&T charge me more than any other carrier for basic phone service on all 4 of my iPhones yet the service is waning day by day.

My only regret was to agree to your $175 per line termination fee.

Signed a 10 year AT&T customer that will be no more

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
Dear Apple,

Please just buy one of these jokers, sale the iphone on your own carrier and push the current cell communications model into extinction.

Thanks.

That is an illegal business practice in the USA ever since the break up of Ma Bell in 1984. A single company may provide equipment or content/network services but not both. This prevents a proprietary network from having exclusive content control over their network. This is also why you will never see Orange in the USA.

adversus

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2009
Portland, OR
As someone who owns AT&T stock (not intentionally, it's part of another fund I invest in), he's doing what he's supposed to do.

Not doing everything in your power to improve the value of the company for shareholders means he would be breaking his fiduciary responsibility to those shareholders.

That said, I hate AT&T's service. But I'm grandfathered into the unlimited plan, so I don't want to leave.

ikramerica

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2009
Hi guys! I read MacRumors everyday however this is my first post! I had to comment.

All I can say is SERIOUSLY! AT&T is raking in the BIG bucks! I pay $30 per month for unlimited messaging for 2 people. iMessage is not hurting them at all. Not everyone has an iPhone. Too bad Apple didn't choose a different carrier to start out with. What a creep!

He doesn't lay awake worrying because he already "fixed" it. He knew that iMessage would allow many to drop to the lowest tier of messaging. So he just, you know, got rid of the lower tier. Unlimited texting or 1000 messages, no other options, ensures that iMessage doesn't cost ATT a dime. In fact, ATT is making more because there is no lower text option for new customers anymore. I would be on the 200 message plan if I could get there, but no dice. So I'm at $10 for 1000, costing me $60 a year plus tax. And most of my texts are iMessages...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.