Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

definitive

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 4, 2008
So last week I wanted to reformat my computer and reinstall everything, only to discover that my CD drive failed. I installed Lion from a USB drive, and when I tried to reinstall Adobe Creative Suite, I discovered that my DVD drive wasn't working. Otherwise I keep everything on USB flash drives or external hard drives. I contacted Adobe, and the only thing they were able to tell me was that since my version of the CS has been discontinued, the only option for me was to upgrade to CS6, which I thought was ridiculous.

So here I am trying to figure out if there's some way to back up the installation DVD's for CS in to a USB flash drive installer. Only problem is that I can't find any way of doing this, since all the results on Google are for CD to CD backup, which is not an option for me since I'd prefer a USB drive due to having less failure issues with them. I remember Adobe offering a trial version a while back, but that has been a long time ago, and they don't offer that download anymore, and it came without Acrobat Pro which I'd also need..

Has anyone here done this in the past and could help me out?

definitive

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 4, 2008
Nov 28, 2010
located
Thanks for the links. The issue that I'm concerned about now is that the CS comes with two DVDs, (two images). Once one is installed, it asks for the second one. How would that work? Would I need two USB drives, or is there some way to merge them?

As I don't use a single USB flash memory thumb drive, but an actual HDD, and mount the DMG I need, and only have one, I can't say how that works, but I assume, it would work by mounting the second DVD. You could try it?

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Seriously consider some form of external backup for your Mac as you can also use the space for .dmg images. USB Flash drives are just not that robust and can rarely be write protected.

You don't need to merge the images, they'll store and mount just fine as seperate .dmg files.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.