Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cainnovacaine

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 27, 2009
Chicago
I bought a hand made leather wallet-case on Etsy for about the same price as the BookBook that I think is far superior. I'm writing this post because it's been several months and it's held up well, is still handsome, and I like the idea of pushing people towards a small company that does things well: Hand stitched iPhone 4/S case by zenokleather. I got THIS one.

Better than the BookBook because:

1. The silicon case inside the wallet is incredibly durable and is much more flexible and handsome, allowing you to pull out the phone whenever you want.

2. It's a single piece of leather, hand stitched, and gorgeous!.

3. It has a slot for the camera and flash.

4. When folded open it has it's own ramp, which gives it a bit of a viewing angle when you put it on a desk or flat surface.

5. More options for color and stitch, possible monograming. A more unique product.

6. Very good communication with the seller during the whole process. (Why I look for tech accessories on Etsy, actually. Consumer experience is the live or die there.)

I have no affiliation with the seller, but I had a good experience and I know you guys like these unique touches and buyer experiences...

dthree36

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2008
I really like the Book Book but I have to be honest and say that I have kind of stopped using it. I loved it when I first got it and over time the fading of the spine kind of bothers me. I wish it would stay the original color.

Besides the Book Book, I have seen several and like the Hex Code but it suffers a bigger problem just like the Book Book when it comes to camera usage. You will have to unsnap the phone form the wallet to take a picture. There is no camera opening. The reason I like it more is because it doesn't have the plastic ID card area that smudges my screen and sticks to just about all screen protectors not made of Glass.

Basically everything else out there is pretty much very similar in design as to what you ordered. The differences are leather grade and the ability to have a camera cutout. Some have a snap to close others have an elastic wrap and like the Book Book, just close on their own. The one you are getting is pretty nice.... I might be tempted to try one out.

It truly is amazing how much some people will spend on accessories for their phones. I probably have already spent more than my phone cost and am probably no where here done.

Last edited:

panda moninum

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2012
This looks good. I have been wondering what to do with regards to getting a wallet case, as there are just so many different ones to choose from. Its good to get an idea from others and what they are buying/using/regretting. I will watch this with interest and keep on looking around.

cainnovacaine

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 27, 2009
Chicago
I don't think they have a warranty, zenokleather seems like a really small crafts company, but I can attest that they are very responsive on Etsy, usually writing back w/i a few hours. Thats also a easy place to review them, so I imagine they'd want to keep you happy...

The stitching is super tight, it hasn't even shown a hint of movement, nor can I find anywhere where it has the potential to come loose.

Had the hex case, and I loved that one in terms of thinness, but it only lasted a month before its edges started to where and the plastic mechanism holding it in cracked.

peapody

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2007
San Francisco, CA
IMHO

This is the best one I have come across:

Thin, camera cut out, button closure. Slot for 2 cards and money. All that you need. Also has a snap case holder.. makes it really thin.

Last edited:

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland

Seems like a good case. It's stupid that the BookBook doesn't have a hole for the camera but one of the good things about it is that one card can be displayed as an ID or if it has a barcode that needs to be scanned (like in my colleges library) you can put it in the slot covered by the clear plastic.

peapody

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2007
San Francisco, CA
Seems like a good case. It's stupid that the BookBook doesn't have a hole for the camera but one of the good things about it is that one card can be displayed as an ID or if it has a barcode that needs to be scanned (like in my colleges library) you can put it in the slot covered by the clear plastic.

That seems handy. I don't really have a need for that though, and having a camera cut out is very important at least to me. Maybe if t here were a hybrid.

I would love a hash between the book book, the sgp valentinus and the hex code wallet closure system. That to me would be a perfect case.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
That seems handy. I don't really have a need for that though, and having a camera cut out is very important at least to me. Maybe if t here were a hybrid.

I would love a hash between the book book, the sgp valentinus and the hex code wallet closure system. That to me would be a perfect case.

I kinda stopped using my BookBook. I don't take that many pictures so that wasn't why. It was because the thing I love about it (plastic covering the top ID) causes a smudge on the phones screen which is really annoying. I guess we'll have to wait and see what other cases like these pop up.

Breedlove

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2006
I wonder if the SGP Valentinus could be modified to have a Moleskine-esque elastic band like the Hex Code...

blacktable

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2013
I really like the Book Book but I have to be honest and say that I have kind of stopped using it. I loved it when I first got it and over time the fading of the spine kind of bothers me. I wish it would stay the original color.

Besides the Book Book, I have seen several and like the Hex Code but it suffers a bigger problem just like the Book Book when it comes to camera usage. You will have to unsnap the phone form the wallet to take a picture. There is no camera opening. The reason I like it more is because it doesn't have the plastic ID card area that smudges my screen and sticks to just about all screen protectors not made of Glass.

Basically everything else out there is pretty much very similar in design as to what you ordered. The differences are leather grade and the ability to have a camera cutout. Some have a snap to close others have an elastic wrap and like the Book Book, just close on their own. The one you are getting is pretty nice.... I might be tempted to try one out.

It truly is amazing how much some people will spend on accessories for their phones. I probably have already spent more than my phone cost and am probably no where here done.

I have the same experience with you while I was using BookBook with my old iPhone 4. Ever since I got my 5s upgrade, I've been searching for a better alternative. I found the perfect combo of iPhone case/wallet is from KYNEZ. No complains yet after several days of use.

Dascoyne

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2013
Palo Alto, Ca
The Nodus Access is the most promising case I've seen so far:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1461222838/the-access-case-slim-leather-micro-suction-iphone

9e41a4163a4d9256964b5582e8361323_large.jpg

371d0e7432f2c0bf02bca2cb3498c2f6_large.gif

blacktable

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2013
The Nodus Access is the most promising case I've seen so far:

Between BookBook and Nodus Access, I'll rather choose BookBook. The suction technology for mobile phone is NOTHING new. It has been existing for more than 10 years. Do you recall the rest pad placed beside the dashboard of your car? Has this suction been ever used to make phone protective case? The answer is YES. Chinese has been using it for their domestic phones for years and it is selling for less than USD0.80 at their eBay.

Last edited:

blacktable

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2013
I never trust so much on Kickstarter. Any photo can be touched up and photoshopped nicely like what you posted. It'll be a laughing stock once you received the so-called NEW suction technology which never gets popular at the beginning because its surface attracts "DUST".

Same thing I never trust CAZLET. It looks funny but at least it is original and pure CREATIVE. But still I didn't pledge. If it is not of its 30-day money back guarantee policy for the limited review units at their online store, I won't be even bothered to give it a try.

BookBook is something you can touch and feel at any brick-and-mortal stores. It is OK if you've set your expectation before spending your hard-earned money.

Last edited:

Dascoyne

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2013
Palo Alto, Ca
Between BookBook and Nodus Access, I'll rather choose BookBook. The suction technology for mobile phone is NOTHING new. It has been existing for more than 10 years. Do you recall the rest pad placed beside the dashboard of your car? Has this suction been ever used to make phone protective case? The answer is YES. Chinese has been using it for their domestic phones for years and it is selling for less than USD0.80 at their eBay.

It's also about the execution.

The real downside to microsuction is that it loses grip if it gets covered in lint or dust. If you're repeatedly taking your phone in and out I can see where this might become an unexpected factor. Otherwise it works just fine.

Another shortcoming is with heavier items. The iphone 5s is lighter than ever so that would make this more viable.

If the Chinese product didn't look so cheap I might have considered it. The apparent size of the suction spots in the photos look worrisome, though. Another difference is that the Nodus has another small weaker suction surface on the cover which should make it a little more secure.

The hinge region is also wider and more flexible so you don't get expansive tension when you've got CC or cash in the pockets.

The discontinued Spigen Snap was a promising item with a detachable case. The downside was that the hinge region was no different than any other flap style case and, without a method of securing the cover, the thing wouldn't stay shut if you had a couple of cards stored in it. I believe they're redesigning it and, if they address that problem, the Spigen would be something else to consider.

The product has started to roll out and the feedback looks pretty good so far. I'll get mine and let y'all know if it turns out to be junk.

Last edited:

blacktable

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2013
I don't mean to be ass hole here. I just don't want to be ripped off.

The premium to get a Nodus Access is 34 GPB - 0.5 GBP (4.9 RMB) = 33.5 GPD.

???? 2013-12-15 ??11.05.09.png

What the Access case reinvents or value-adds is just the leather itself. Is it really worth 33.5 GPD? Well, leave to the consumers to decide. If the case is assembled in China for this premium price tag, WTF.

To me, the facts just don't add up.

I have a background in material science. I know how suction works in actual application. Without applying sticky residue, the suction surface required to "suck" 130g iPhone5 "securely" has to be thickened substantially. If you took a shortcut by slimming the thickness of suction surface, you phone will have less grip and likely to fall out of the case more than 5 out of 10 times in crash test from a table height. It simply FAILED functioning as a protective case, period.

If you're such a fan of Access case, why don't you ask Nodus to perform crash test from a 1.5-meter height for 10 times to see the fall-out probability? And offer money back guarantee if the phone fails the drop test, just what Apple Store offer credits for its aniline leather case.

Dascoyne

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2013
Palo Alto, Ca
I don't mean to be ass hole here. I just don't want to be ripped off.

The premium to get a Nodus Access is 34 GPB - 0.5 GBP (4.9 RMB) = 33.5 GPD.

View attachment 451838

What the Access case reinvents or value-adds is just the leather itself. Is it really worth 33.5 GPD? Well, leave to the consumers to decide. If the case is assembled in China for this premium price tag, WTF.

To me, the facts just don't add up.

I have a background in material science. I know how suction works in actual application. Without applying sticky residue, the suction surface required to "suck" 130g iPhone5 "securely" has to be thickened substantially. If you took a shortcut by slimming the thickness of suction surface, you phone will have less grip and likely to fall out of the case more than 5 out of 10 times in crash test from a table height. It simply FAILED functioning as a protective case, period.

If you're such a fan of Access case, why don't you ask Nodus to perform crash test from a 1.5-meter height for 10 times to see the fall-out probability? And offer money back guarantee if the phone fails the drop test, just what Apple Store offer credits for its aniline leather case.
hey, I'm not a Nodus apologist so it's no skin off my nose if you want to be skeptical.

It's entirely possible that it might be garbage but I'll let y'all know when I have it in hand. (Projected date in March).

Why are you surprised by the price of materials? I have more trouble with leather cases using 3M double sided adhesive or wobbly Velcro.

So you have a background in material science? Good for you. I got my degree in physics at UC Berkeley and did research for DOE at Lawrence Berkeley Labs. If you're an engineer you'd understand it's not just about the properties of the materials but it's also about the execution. The latter factor is a major variable but one that I would like to think has been addressed. I had talked with the developers and feel this may be the case. Of course it might be all hogwash but I can't say until I have it in hand.

You leave a lot out of your statement about suction not to mention the density of cups. It's not just a function of thickness.

That it's a kickstarter doesn't bother me. That's more of a statement about what passes for mass market big name companies and there's no shortage of overpriced poor quality stuff from them. Skepticism is healthy. It's not my product. Like I said, if the Nodus turns out to be crap I'll let y'all know.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.