Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ceong

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 5, 2012
Hi Guys,

Pls kindly forgive me if i asked a questions that already answered in the previous thread.

Mac Mini model: mid 2008

Problem: i was out of country for 5 months and when i turned on my Mac Mini the 1st time after 5 months, i only get the non-stop beeping and I can't reboot my mac mini and nothing on the screen.

I have tried the following solutions: I have removed the Ram (4GB Original Ram) and shove it back. I have tried a few times.

Results: negative, beeping continue and I can't reboot my mac mini.

thanks for the help.

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
Hi Guys,

Pls kindly forgive me if i asked a questions that already answered in the previous thread.

Mac Mini model: mid 2008

Problem: i was out of country for 5 months and when i turned on my Mac Mini the 1st time after 5 months, i only get the non-stop beeping and I can't reboot my mac mini and nothing on the screen.

I have tried the following solutions: I have removed the Ram (4GB Original Ram) and shove it back. I have tried a few times.

Results: negative, beeping continue and I can't reboot my mac mini.

thanks for the help.

sounds like ram but replace the battery in it. use a can or air on the ram slot

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
the 2008 mini has a coin shaped battery iirc

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Installing-Mac-mini-PowerPC-PRAM-Battery/275/1

replacing this is low cost and the battery is 4 years old. cleaning the ram slot and the ram with a can of air is also cheap. my guess is the battery has nothing to do with it. If the op left it idle for 5 months fully un attached the mini should work. leaving the mini fully disconnected will drain that battery faster since it is in constant use. a can of air and a battery is 6 bucks. after that he is looking at finding different ram or more expensive parts.

Last edited:

ceong

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 5, 2012
the 2008 mini has a coin shaped battery iirc

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Installing-Mac-mini-PowerPC-PRAM-Battery/275/1

replacing this is low cost and the battery is 4 years old. cleaning the ram slot and the ram with a can of air is also cheap. my guess is the battery has nothing to do with it. If the op left it idle for 5 months fully un attached the mini should work. leaving the mini fully disconnected will drain that battery faster since it is in constant use. a can of air and a battery is 6 bucks. after that he is looking at finding different ram or more expensive parts.

I have clean the ram slot with pressurised air duster and tried a few times to remove the ram and shove it back... i will try with the battery then

ceong

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 5, 2012
Your link is for a Late-2005 PowerPC mini. This link is for the Mid-2007 mini, which is most likely the OP's model, since there was no Mid-2008 mini.

I have attached the photo and this give you abetter view of the model. I bought this mini sometimes end of 2008 or early 2009 . .(can't remember)

Attachments

• IMG_2755.JPG
    IMG_2755.JPG
    176.5 KB · Views: 314

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I have attached the photo and this give you abetter view of the model. I bought this mini sometimes end of 2008 or early 2009 . .(can't remember)
You can enter your serial number here where it says "Search Tech Specs" to find specs for your model.

ceong

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 5, 2012
Here are the instructions for your model.

Thanks.. I have tried almost everything, except the battery!I am not it could due to the RAM already damaged and i need a new Ram ... cos I hardly turn off my Mac mini ... i guess in a year I have turned off my mac mini the most 3 to 4 times... i always leave it on :(

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Thanks.. I have tried almost everything, except the battery!I am not it could due to the RAM already damaged and i need a new Ram ... cos I hardly turn off my Mac mini ... i guess in a year I have turned off my mac mini the most 3 to 4 times... i always leave it on :(
There's nothing wrong with leaving it on most of the time. Replacing the PRAM battery may or may not resolve the problem. If it doesn't, I'd take it to Apple to have them diagnose the problem.

ceong

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 5, 2012
There's nothing wrong with leaving it on most of the time. Replacing the PRAM battery may or may not resolve the problem. If it doesn't, I'd take it to Apple to have them diagnose the problem.

yap.. battery changed and no positive result!! i am fone and have to bring it to Apple service center .. :mad:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
yap.. battery changed and no positive result!! i am fone and have to bring it to Apple service center .. :mad:
That's as I suspected. The PRAM battery was a long shot. I hope it turns out to be something simple and easy to fix!

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
at least all the lower cost ideas have been tried. If the apple store tells you it is a bad logic board it will be too costly. Maybe it is just a stick if bad ram and not a bad ram slot. Good luck with the repair.

ceong

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 5, 2012
at least all the lower cost ideas have been tried. If the apple store tells you it is a bad logic board it will be too costly. Maybe it is just a stick if bad ram and not a bad ram slot. Good luck with the repair.

Thanks .. if the repairing cost above UAS 200 then forget about it... i rather get a new one! again, here (Australia) the labour cost really high ... i don't expect is gonna to be cheap! I might have to learn how to transfer all my data/file from this mac mini into my macbook pro ...

mus0r

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2005
It is likely the logic board. I received a broken Mini that I tried to repair and it had very similar symptoms to what you describe. I got almost $100 for it on eBay as a "for parts/repair" auction.

I suggest you do the same and buy a new Mini.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.