Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EngageWithRage

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2012
Your girlfriend's house
Makes sense, Verizon makes ***** off of iPhone because of all subsidies they shelled out to be able to sell us the iPhone at 200$ with a two year contract(or something to that effect). I believe they will be lsing money on this deal for the next 5 years or so lol

On topic when I went into the Verizon store I didn't get any pushback at all, guess it depends where you are located.

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
Why do you think next iPhone won't be LTE? If next iPad is rumored to have LTE and iPhone generally follows iPad upgrades, it's almost a sure thing it will have it. AT&T customer don't want it to be LTE since no LTE is to be found on their network. I think they are up to 30 cities nationwide, correct?

They decided it was because AT&T is trash and didn't want them to spread more poor service to everyone.

I said the iPhone would be LTE. Read back a few posts.

The NYC and SF AT&T users are going to want LTE real bad, even though most of AT&T's network isn't LTE.

I wrote email toe T-Mo CEO about iPhone and that I could NOT get an Android, I did NOT want to hear about Android, but the Marketing officer Cole Brodman emailed and told me about Android....

T-Mo also called later and they at least listened and did not push Android, did what they with iPhone.

T-Mobile doesn't sell the iPhone, hence they would either be pushing WM7 or Android.

The problem is that people allow themselves to be manipulated by sales associates. Do your homework beforehand.

Quite true. The thing is, homework doesn't result in an iPhone on Verizon.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
T-Mobile doesn't sell the iPhone, hence they would either be pushing WM7 or Android.

It was IRT to iPhone support, even though it is not officially supported.

Point is the CMO of Tmo pushed Android when I specifically told the, with major emphasis, that Android was not an option for me (real reason, not excuse).

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
It was IRT to iPhone support, even though it is not officially supported.

Point is the CMO of Tmo pushed Android when I specifically told the, with major emphasis, that Android was not an option for me (real reason, not excuse).

Then get off T-Mobile, and get a carrier that actually supports the phone you need. I.e. AT&T. Or if you're in the bay area or Manhattan, put up with Verizon's slow 3G network, since it actually works there.

adnbek

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2011
Montreal, Quebec
I saw the same thing happen when the iphone first came on to the verizon network. An older couple was looking to get 2 iphones and the sales person was talking them into droids hardcore. I actually had to leave i couldnt hear such BS comments like, iphone doesnt have a removable battery.

Not to criticize but where's the BS in that?

*checks own iPhone*

Nope, can't remove it.

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Feb 28, 2011

*checks own iPhone*

Nope, can't remove it.

You can, it is just not so "user friendly" :p

Also he probably means the comments from salespersons were idiotic pushing people over removable batteries, just gotta look at the post from another angle :)

Darthdingo

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2010
How anyone can go into a Verizon store and not walk out without a Galaxy- Nexus is crazy. The G-Nexus is hands down the better device compared to stale 4S.

Fudd

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2011
How anyone can go into a Verizon store and not walk out without an iPhone 4S is crazy. The iPhone 4S is hands down the better device compared to stale G-Nexus.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Finally got a text from one of my friends.

Verizon employees DO get commission on accessories also. Commission is on accessories and plans only, no commission on phones or on tablets.

To the OP: In electronics retail, usually the sales guys will just sell what they own since they're familiar with it. It does suck though when you get pushy sales people who instead of giving you all your options push you to one thing or another without any valid reason.

It could be that their boss asked them to push a certain device as well, especially if that one is less costly for the company, but that's speculative. I don't have any way of knowing either way.

Makes sense, Verizon makes ***** off of iPhone because of all subsidies they shelled out to be able to sell us the iPhone at 200$ with a two year contract(or something to that effect). I believe they will be lsing money on this deal for the next 5 years or so lol

On topic when I went into the Verizon store I didn't get any pushback at all, guess it depends where you are located.

I kind of wonder on this. Verizon overall seems to be doing okay. The company isn't headed toward posting losses. I don't have any data to suggest whether or not it was a net gain. I kind of wonder what their margin is over the duration of that contract.

*checks own iPhone*

Nope, can't remove it.

The one that made me laugh was when I had to go to Best Buy even though I hate that place (I needed some random part that day and they happened to stock it). Some jackass salesman suggested to these people that they buy a new hard drive because they had malware (supposedly a virus, but none of these people know the difference anyway). Either way you format the drive with 0s so that it can check for bad sectors since you're writing new data anyway (it has no effect on getting rid of a virus) and install the OS onto the drive. There's absolutely zero difference, but that way I guess he gets to make a sale:rolleyes:.

kicko

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2008

*checks own iPhone*

Nope, can't remove it.

because his argument was that in case your phone freezes up you can't pull the battery. Have you every felt like you had to pull your iPhone battery?

BergerFan

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2008
Mos Eisley
because his argument was that in case your phone freezes up you can't pull the battery. Have you every felt like you had to pull your iPhone battery?
I've had every iteration of the iPhone, and I can only remember two or three times, where I had to hard reset(holding down Home and Sleep/wake until I see the Apple logo).

Battery life aside, taking the battery out, due to a crash, is an old-skool practice, from my early 2000's Nokia feature phone days. :D

ecservices

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2012
Verizon did not want to sell iPhone to me or another customer

Verizon Wireless did not want to sell iPhone to me or another customer.
I specifically asked for an iPhone.
Verizon tried to sell me 4G cell phone for 15 MINUTES because they were better than an iPhone!
This was also happening to another customer, next to me, with a different Verizon sales person!
We will not buy any more cell phones from Verizon.
My business sets up cell phones and personal computer systems for our clients..

kdarling

macrumors P6

Actually, last time my wife accidentally dropped her cell phone into water, I was happy to be able to nearly instantly get the battery out :)

--

Re: cost. Carriers pay about 40% more on average for an iPhone than for other smartphones.

E.g. A carrier has to pay Apple an average of $640 a phone (except the 3GS, around $350), whereas other top smartphones cost the carrier between $450 to $550 wholesale. (Lesser smartphones drop down to $300 or less, some down to $125 cost.)

That's a huge incentive to sell other phones, and it's why many analysts are predicting that carriers will bend over backwards to push Android and Windows phones... and begin to push back at Apple's prices.

It's a interesting standoff. On the one side, Apple is heavily dependent on subsidized sales, and their phone is nothing without the carriers. On the other, carriers want the customer base that wants iPhones.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I have a 4S on Verizon. I consider it one of their worst smart phones. Their 3G service is terrible in my area. I wish our salesman would have pushed a Droid.

AT&T on the other hand is a much different story with their faster 3G network.

Ecoh

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2009
USA
I still think it was a contest sort of thing, just sayin.

I managed a store (cameras, not phones) where there were always incentives from a certain manufacturer. Sell so many of a particular model and you get to pick a prize from a catalog. The value of the prize increased as the number of that makers cameras you sold. The sales people would really push that model, unless a customer specifically asked for another by name. Some sales people get very competitive, and think of it as a game.

AllieNeko

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
Honestly, they're right (and I do think commission is larger on 4G PLANS, though I'm not sure). Buying a Verizon iPhone is stupid now. Want iPhone? Get AT&T or wait for the LTE Verizon iPhone. CDMA is dog-slow. Do you REALLY want to be on CDMA in 2 years? Hell no!

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
If you walk into an AT&T store, iPhone is front and center. If you walk into the Verizon store, the iPhone is in a corner, and the DROIDs are front and center. Verizon is still very much invested in DROID, especially since their premiere network, as of right now, is exclusively for Android phones.

AllieNeko

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
If you walk into an AT&T store, iPhone is front and center. If you walk into the Verizon store, the iPhone is in a corner, and the DROIDs are front and center. Verizon is still very much invested in DROID, especially since their premiere network, as of right now, is exclusively for Android phones.

Well, among other things, selling iPhones would be BAD for Verizon. They don't have the EVDO capacity for them. EVDO has got MUCH worse lately. They NEED to push LTE phones, because EVDO is not a good experience. They don't want tech-savvy people who care at all about performance buying their iPhone, because it's a terrible experience compared to an AT&T iPhone.

Verizon *needs* an LTE iPhone. That's one reason I will not be shocked if a new iPhone comes out at WWDC...

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
Well, among other things, selling iPhones would be BAD for Verizon. They don't have the EVDO capacity for them. EVDO has got MUCH worse lately. They NEED to push LTE phones, because EVDO is not a good experience. They don't want tech-savvy people who care at all about performance buying their iPhone, because it's a terrible experience compared to an AT&T iPhone.

Verizon *needs* an LTE iPhone. That's one reason I will not be shocked if a new iPhone comes out at WWDC...

True. I don't think the new one will come out until September. They also pay less subsidy on the Android phones, so it's no wonder they are pushing them.

JediZenMaster

Suspended
Mar 28, 2010
Seattle
I don't see how someone can be "pushed" into anything.

When Im in those situations and someone attempts to push me I let them know in a nice way to dial it back.

Free will is such an awesome thing

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.