Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

j800r

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2011
Coventry, West mids, England
This is the modern world, Facebook will end up the same one day. I use Googlemail like many no doubt, what other free great imap services are there? Hotmail isn't imap.

I am annoyed though at the fact I never knew they did this! But it's the price you pay for using the internet, still it is rather bad.

Can you go into your Hotmail account and setup imap?

There's iCloud. You could always get a free @me email.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Normally I'd be inclined to agree, but this isn't the first instance where Google employs these types of tactics. There was the other issue with the Google StreetView where they employed rather objectionable means to mine their data.

The Streetview code was caused by a single person and the later Google programmers didn't know about it.

However, the background is more interesting than I thought. Apparently the guy who wrote the original code was quite famous as one of the first "war-driving" experts in Silicon Valley. That is, he was a hacker who helped invent the idea of drive-by WiFi logging, locating and hacking.

So when Google needed someone good at logging WiFi locations, they hired this guy. Of course, he brought with him a lot of the code that he'd spent much time on... including the automatic collection of user data. Later he left, and his code library ended up being used in the cars.

Upshot: never hire hackers without auditing their code :)

There is a precedent emerging and that suggests to me we should be cautious to think it is always rogue programmers who are to blame. Accountability must become a consideration, if not now, certainly by the next time.

You're right about the accountability.

Google's power and its Achille's Heel are the same thing: engineers rule there, with comparatively little oversight.

While I applaud treating adults as adults and giving them huge responsibility, there also need to be firm rules in place to avoid trouble.

The trouble is, many programmers cannot discern that using clever code can be the equivalent of "doing evil", or that it might have huge consequences if found out. It's just clever code to them.

Last edited:

JohnDoe98

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2009
The Streetview code was caused by a single person and the later Google programmers didn't know about it.

You should read these NYTs. Check these two articles out. It suggests a lot more than one single rogue programmer was involved in the StreetView debacle. At least one superior knew about it and likely many other engineers.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/01/t...t-view-is-identified.html?_r=1&ref=technology
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/03/t...gle-street-view-inquiries.html?ref=technology

zbarsky

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2007
Google can clean this up by sticking a cute logo on their search page, or stick some kind of strawberry dessert on the lawn of their HQ, and everyone will magically forget about it by tomorrow.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Google can clean this up by sticking a cute logo on their search page, or stick some kind of strawberry dessert on the lawn of their HQ, and everyone will magically forget about it by tomorrow.

I know. It's rough. Sorta like the same way a CEO can get up at a press conference and state that their phone doesn't have an antenna issue and the problem "magically" goes away.

Yeah. I went there.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
You should read these NYTs. Check these two articles out. It suggests a lot more than one single rogue programmer was involved in the StreetView debacle. At least one superior knew about it and likely many other engineers.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/01/t...t-view-is-identified.html?_r=1&ref=technology
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/03/t...gle-street-view-inquiries.html?ref=technology

work on a team programming project and you will find it is easy for it to be the case that it is only one person. You will have an idea what the other team members stuff does and if need be you can edit the code and add more features but it is easy to complete not have a true idea.

You will have a great understanding of your stuff but only a basic understanding of how the other parts of the program works. Supervisor will have a general idea of what everyone is doing and do the coronation between moduals but even the supervisor will only have a basic understanding of what each part does. This means the extra logging stuff can easily be linked to a single person.

reedmartin

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2012

Lol yeah and the apologists will praise the dessert!

kdarling

macrumors P6

Thank you very much. I did know about one of those articles.

As they point out, the US government has decided it was one person and an accident. They correctly figured out that telling a supervisor and even some co-workers doesn't mean anyone picked up on its implications or meant any harm.

The only ones who are still making huffing sounds about it are some European politicians and unnamed "analysts"... meaning people who aren't experienced developers, I would guess. Otherwise they'd have seen similar situations during their career and dismissed the whole thing as the non-evil goof that it was.

The good thing that came out of the public hoopla, is that hopefully more people decided to protect their WiFi. The Google Car passing by in seconds was not a threat. Leaving your connection open all the time so that others nearby with actual evil intents can listen in or take over, is.

Longtime readers here know that I have often also defended Apple programmers who have goofed at times, from the same kind of ignorant pitchfork mob indignation. People make mistakes. Especially nowadays, with layoffs and those left behind having to work double or triple jobs, and deploy code they've never had time to look at.

Regards.

chris7777

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2008
Should be tens of BILLIONS, or HUNDREDS of Millions. Ftc just patted Google lovingly, or is that flirtingly on the backside.

KingJosh

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2012
Australia
Stopped using my gmail a month ago and went with @me and like it. I want to stop using chrome and go back to safari but safari is horrid! lol damnit Apple! I would drop chrome for safari in a heart beat if Apple sorted out the beachballs and massive ram usage compared to chrome. I think I will always use google search though.

Lennholm

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2010
So Google is in trouble for using loopholes and circumventing security policies.
Fine.
All the while, in the thread about Apple's tax avoidance schemes we're being told that it's perfectly fine, even every company's obligation, to use every available loophole to achieve their goals and maximize their profits.

lloyd709

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2008
I'm just so pleased

I'm just very pleased that this stuff is being taken seriously.

I knew companies were tracking every site I went to because related adverts followed me everywhere and it was really pissing me off but I thought no one really cared!

I've no idea on who should get fined what but everyone involved needs to a very clear message that it's wrong to do this!

reedmartin

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2012
So Google is in trouble for using loopholes and circumventing security policies.
Fine.
All the while, in the thread about Apple's tax avoidance schemes we're being told that it's perfectly fine, even every company's obligation, to use every available loophole to achieve their goals and maximize their profits.

Do you know the difference between legal and illegal? Just curious.

doctor-don

macrumors 68000
Dec 26, 2008
Georgia USA
Go ahead and fine Google, but at what point do you say that Apple should be held accountable as well? I kind of see this as a lock manufacturer (Apple) making a sub-standard lock (Safari) and selling it to customers. An intruder (Google) breaks in to the customer's house by easily busting the sub-standard lock.

The sub-standard security doesn't make what Google did right, but at some point the customer should be looking at Apple and asking "WTF are you providing me here?"

I still think iOS is better overall than any other mobile OS around, but I'm not against holding Apple to the fire for being lax in security.

So it's YOUR fault when a thief / burglar circumvents your security measures and steals from you?

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Here's a question:

If Google is allowed to "negotiate" with the Feds over how big their fine will be, why can't I negotiate with the CHP over how big my fine will be when I get a speeding ticket?

Edit: Ack! Power1080 beat me to it! :p
You can negotiate those, too. I'm not in CA, but I presume you wouldn't negotiate with the cops, anyway. Court system, later.
I can't think of any system or language where chronology is a factor in inheritance.

And I would think that in fact many people would be annoyed if an update changed preferences that they have set.
Wow, you've never heard of Microsoft Office? Updates trash prefs for Office frequently. And users complain to each other. I guess...not to the FTC.

kdarling

macrumors P6
I'm just very pleased that this stuff is being taken seriously.

I knew companies were tracking every site I went to because related adverts followed me everywhere and it was really pissing me off but I thought no one really cared!

I've no idea on who should get fined what but everyone involved needs to a very clear message that it's wrong to do this!

So you'd rather see random ads for sex toys or something? Since we have to see ads to support the free places we go, I'd personally rather view stuff I'm interested in.

At least Google gives you a way to see what they're tracking. You can go to your Google Dashboard and check it out. (Google it. I don't have time right now.) You can also modify your settings there and even delete things you no longer have interest in.

For example, my ad dashboard showed that I was very interested in buying cars. Well, sure, during certain times, but not all the time. So I deleted that particular ad taste. Otherwise my ad profile was pretty boring, and actually incorrect as it thought I was younger :)

My dashboard did surprise me in one way. It showed that Google Voice Search had over a hundred voice template samples stored in order to enhance the recognition of my particular voice. I thought about those, and left them in place, because I actually like that. You can delete and even turn that off if you wish.

gwelmarten

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2011
England!
They deserve it - Google are just attempting to undermine Safari to promote Chrome - a browser that does an excellent job of using 6GB of ram with 20 tabs!

AmpSkillz

macrumors regular
Go ahead and fine Google, but at what point do you say that Apple should be held accountable as well? I kind of see this as a lock manufacturer (Apple) making a sub-standard lock (Safari) and selling it to customers. An intruder (Google) breaks in to the customer's house by easily busting the sub-standard lock.

The sub-standard security doesn't make what Google did right, but at some point the customer should be looking at Apple and asking "WTF are you providing me here?"

I still think iOS is better overall than any other mobile OS around, but I'm not against holding Apple to the fire for being lax in security.

sort of like the landlord statement

If you own your house and you get robbed because someone kicks in your door, you may think maybe I should have had a steel door and frame instead of a wooden one, but I hardly think anyone would debate who should be held accountable for the robbery between you and the thieves who broke down your door

Google is obviously to blame here, Apple just thought wooden doors were good enough and have since installed steel ones

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.