Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Greetings,
I have been awaiting the Mac Pro for awhile now. Im giving up and just buying a new iMac. I suppose I'll give it till June in hopes of a refresh.. I use my machine for Video Editing, 3d motion graphics(cinema 4d), adobe, and such.. This is my plan for getting around a Mac Pro

iMac 27 maxed out processor
Maxed out video card
256 SSD + 1TB (WISH I COULD PUT A SECOND DRIVE IN MANUALLY BUT NOPE
32Gb of ram
Thunderbolt display
Pegasus R6 6tb thunderbolt display (Raid 10)
Thunderbolt cable
Time capsule (need a new router plus to back up the iMacs drives)

Whats your plan for your next machine?

hemanwomanhater

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2010
I would think the rig you're looking at will be capable of doing what you want. My school had older generation and pretty basic iMacs that students used for that kind of stuff all the time. They did have some Mac Pros, too, but ironically the iMacs were faster.

Personally, I don't use machines for that kind of intensive stuff. I'll be using mine for Adobe CS software, Photoshop, Acrobat, InDesign and Illustrator mostly. So I don't plan to get more than the base model. Something that can play the occasional game is really all I need out of my video card.

driftless

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2011
Chicago-area
Although I haven't totally ruled out a revised Mac Pro I am likely to replace my iMac w/ another as well. I use Adobe's CS, Aperture, etc. I am considering the following:

Maxed out BTO 27" iMac.
New Time Capsule when "ac" WiFi is available.
New External G-Raid or G-Speed (when G-Speed is available for Thunderbolt).

The above is a refreshed version what I am currently using.

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
Check the requirements for graphics acceleration in CS6 applications. I guess it remains to be seen if the graphic components they'll use in the new iMacs will be able to take advantage of it. Although I find it hard to imagine that Adobe and/or Apple would ignore each other....:D

I am wondering why someone would want a Time Capsule when you could use Thunderbolt. I don't like TCs since they include two devices, neither of which can be upgraded or fixed if they fail, thus rendering the other useless. I also disliked iMacs since you couldn't upgrade at least the drives in the new ones, which put a lot of faith in a component that often does go kaput. But with the ability to run the thing from a Thunderbolt drive, I guess that's less of an inconvenience.

And consider that a good SSD in a good Tbolt enclosure may outperform an internal SSD; at least it can in an MBA for example.

driftless

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2011
Chicago-area
Check the requirements for graphics acceleration in CS6 applications. I guess it remains to be seen if the graphic components they'll use in the new iMacs will be able to take advantage of it. Although I find it hard to imagine that Adobe and/or Apple would ignore each other....:D

I am wondering why someone would want a Time Capsule when you could use Thunderbolt. I don't like TCs since they include two devices, neither of which can be upgraded or fixed if they fail, thus rendering the other useless. I also disliked iMacs since you couldn't upgrade at least the drives in the new ones, which put a lot of faith in a component that often does go kaput. But with the ability to run the thing from a Thunderbolt drive, I guess that's less of an inconvenience.

And consider that a good SSD in a good Tbolt enclosure may outperform an internal SSD; at least it can in an MBA for example.

You may not feel comfortable in this iMac sub-forum. An MBA as an option to an maxed out iMac or MacPro, really?

flatfoot

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2009
Greetings,
I have been awaiting the Mac Pro for awhile now. Im giving up and just buying a new iMac. I suppose I'll give it till June in hopes of a refresh.. I use my machine for Video Editing, 3d motion graphics(cinema 4d), adobe, and such.. This is my plan for getting around a Mac Pro

Maxed out video card
32Gb of ram
Thunderbolt display
Thunderbolt cable

Don't get the SSD from Apple but buy the Seagate GoFlex Thunderbolt adapter (or something similar) and a good SSD of your choice. This will give you better performance for less money.

Don't get the RAM from Apple but buy it somewhere else and install it yourself. Apple charge ridiculously much money for "their" RAM.

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
You may not feel comfortable in this iMac sub-forum. An MBA as an option to an maxed out iMac or MacPro, really?

He's suggesting that an external SSD over thunderbolt is faster than an internal one, and providing an MBA as the place where he has evidence of this.

TheBigL

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2007
Wilkes-Barre, PA

At no point in that post did he say "you should consider an MBA" or anything close to it. He was merely comparing and citing the MBA's SSD speed. You may not feel comfortable in a forum where word comprehension is important.

rixax

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2012
Toronto
still waiting but

I purchased a 13inch MBP with 2.7ghz an i7, 8 gig and a 300 gig SSD while waiting for the new towers. Then I bought a thunderbolt display to use with the MBP until the tower arrives hopping to hook that up display up to it.

I am a musician and the software I use is very demanding. Almost as demanding as video once I'm up to over 100 tracks at 48k and 24 bit (with a quicktime movie in sync) The plug ins alone demand an enormous amount of power and ram.

I'm sure there are a lot of composers and musicians who are keeping silent, waiting to hear.

Rick Sacks
Toronto

alksion

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2010
Orange County CA
- Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz (BTO)
- AMD Radeon HD 7970m (BTO)
- 2TB HDD (BTO)
- Intel 520 Series 240GB SATA III (User Installed)
- 32GB 1600MHz (User Installed)

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
- Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz (BTO)
- AMD Radeon HD 7970m (BTO)
- 2TB HDD (BTO)
- Intel 520 Series 240GB SATA III (User Installed)
- 32GB 1600MHz (User Installed)

where do you plan to put that 240gb sata drive at?

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
Greetings,
I have been awaiting the Mac Pro for awhile now. Im giving up and just buying a new iMac.

This is exactly the response, that Apple is looking for.

If they ignore their customers long enough, they'll either buy down to an iMac, or take another approach.

From my perspective, it's all about the money, now more than ever. The proven route to Apple's trillion dollar target is to sell more iToyz... the highest grossing products in Apple's lineup.

Medic278

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2012
New York
I have the top of the line 27" iMac and I run photoshop cs 5, aperture, and final cut pro on it without any problems. While its not equal to a Mac Pro it is still plenty capable and you will be well served by it. I think you'll be surprised by its ability considering its an all in one.

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
I have the top of the line 27" iMac and I run photoshop cs 5, aperture, and final cut pro on it without any problems. While its not equal to a Mac Pro it is still plenty capable and you will be well served by it. I think you'll be surprised by its ability considering its an all in one.

yea i currently have an 27in iMac with 2.7 quad I7 but no thunderbolt :(

When i render a 15 second clip from Cinema 4d it literally takes up 2 days for it complete.

I can't have my machine be busy for that long.

Medic278

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2012
New York

When i render a 15 second clip from Cinema 4d it literally takes up 2 days for it complete.

I can totally understand that, thats a long time to have your machine tied up especially if you use it to make a living. Sadly like I said the iMac isn't equal to a Mac Pro but it can at least keep up with the right outfitting.

driftless

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2011
Chicago-area

Wow, that is an amazingly long time.

smphoto74

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2011
Greetings,

Maxed out video card
32Gb of ram
Thunderbolt display
Thunderbolt cable

I have the 27" iMac 3.4ghz, 24GB Ram, 2GB video card with internal HD(scratch disk). LaCie LBD with 2 Crucial M4 128GB SSD's installed in Raid 0 doing 341mb/s write and 496mb/s read(OS and apps) and a Pegasus R4 4TB in Raid 0 doing 500/500mb/s write and read(images and videos for CS5 and FCPX). I do have external WD backing up the LBD and R4. The LBD with 2 SSD is faster than the internal Apple SSD and the cost is only a little more. It will cost you $600 for the LBD and 2 SSD's with 341/496 speeds. How much is the Apple SSD? Totally worth getting the LBD and installing the SSD's. Seagates Thunderbolt adapter is alright but it's kinda slow compared to the LBD with SSD.

My iMac boots in 15.2 seconds using the LBD. :)

Do not get the stock LBD SSD. You need to get the $349 1TB one and rip out the HD and install the 2 Crucial M4 128GB SSD for a total of 256GB. Do not get the m4 64GB SSD as they are slow but you could get the M4 256GB for a total of 512GB. I have around 185GB free on my LBD with all my programs loaded on(CS5, LR, FCPX,etc). iTunes and docs are on the Pegasus R4. There are fast brands of SSD's out there so consider those as well. I went with the crucial M4 128GB because of the speed and the good reviews.

salmoally

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2012

Buy a 2011 mini server and have that render away while working on other stuff. Your not going to get stuff done fast if you are relying on one machine, even if it is a 12 core macpro.

macmastersam

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2011
Essex, england
Buy a 2011 mini server and have that render away while working on other stuff. Your not going to get stuff done fast if you are relying on one machine, even if it is a 12 core macpro.

This. If you have the money, for this, a cheap monitor and a keyboard and mouse, then I'd say go for it. Mac mini servers come with thunderbolt so it's there if you need that :D and then let that render away for what it needs doing while you have other stuff that needs doing I your iMac!

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
Why are you buying an iMac? Current iMac is slower than the current Mac Pro, and the iMac is about to be refreshed as well.

Not trying to knock against the iMac, but this sounds poorly thought out.

Adding a Mac Mini node also doubles your software costs.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
This. If you have the money, for this, a cheap monitor and a keyboard and mouse, then I'd say go for it. Mac mini servers come with thunderbolt so it's there if you need that :D and then let that render away for what it needs doing while you have other stuff that needs doing I your iMac!

While I love my Mac mini, the fact is the iMac tops out with better specs across the board. I just hate the idea of not being able to open my desktop and upgrade anything past the RAM(I know it's possible to open the iMac, just that's like brain surgery)

Without a doubt, I save money upgrading the SSD/HDD on my Mac mini, which wouldn't have happened if I had bought an iMac.

Still for the amount I criticized the low end PowerMac G5, I would to see if make a come back with desktop(in place of server) parts inside of a Mac Pro. It's the only expandable desktop I could see Apple offering, sadly. An intel based Cube would be great, but that was such a press nightmare, I can't see Apple taking the risk.

Hell I'll take a dedicated graphic card in the server Mac mini!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.