Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

logo-squaretrade.gif

Third-party warranty provider SquareTrade has announced that it is expanding its warranty coverage to include jailbroken iPhones, a procedure that voids the standard Apple warranty.

The policy change affects new and existing coverage holders, according to a report from CNET.
No word yet on if this extends to iPads and iPods, which SquareTrade also covers as part of its warranty service. The three gadgets share the same operating system.
A 2-year SquareTrade warranty for the iPhone 4S is available for $99.99, including accidental damage protection with a $50 deductible.

Article Link: SquareTrade Expands Warranty Coverage to Include Jailbroken iPhones

2 Replies

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2010
A side by side comparison of SquareTrade's warranty with Apple's AppleCare would be quite interesting. :D

likemyorbs

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
NJ
It might have something to do with the fact that you can't physically damage an ios device by modifying software.

----------

Steve Jobs must be rolling over in his grave.

Yeah, are you talking about the same guy who marketed a device that tricks telephone services to let you make long distance calls for free? :rolleyes:

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Wrong.
I see every week devices who have overheated because the processor limitations have been lifted and that have been damaged in different levels because of excessive heat. FYI, i work at a place that makes it difficult to post here with my real name. hint :cool:

ehh, not on an iPhone; there is no way to make an iPhone processor faster w/ software so I guess you don't 'secretly work' w/ iPhones.

As for the news, this is great! Still won't get a $99 warranty for my iPhone when a replacement can be done for $200 if out-of-warranty.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
Wrong.
I see every week devices who have overheated because the processor limitations have been lifted and that have been damaged in different levels because of excessive heat. FYI, i work at a place that makes it difficult to post here with my real name. hint :cool:

yea, where's this overclocking software?

Dustman

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2007
^^ Once an iPhones jailbroken all you need to do is remove the Power management plist file to overclock. Not an app per se.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
well its not like a jb could break anything, besides ... just restore and no one will know uve ever jailbroken it

stickybuns

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2011
ehh, not on an iPhone; there is no way to make an iPhone processor faster w/ software so I guess you don't 'secretly work' w/ iPhones.

As for the news, this is great! Still won't get a $99 warranty for my iPhone when a replacement can be done for $200 if out-of-warranty.

Are out-of-warranty replacements permitted for jail broken phones?

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Are out-of-warranty replacements permitted for jail broken phones?

if all you did was jailbreak it. because you can first restore it back to factory and they can't tell the thing was ever jail broken.

If you unlock it then you are screwed if they figure it out. which will be pretty easy when you walk in with a GSM phone that has a t-Mobile sim card. apparently their system tells them if a phone was unlocked by them or not. to them an unlock by the user would be considered damage (and not the accidental kind) and thus you lose. you can't even buy service

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
So in order to make their warranty desirable they had to:

1. Remove the all the time $50 deductible
2. Add jailbroken phones

Lets not forget that you have a deminishing value insurance policy here. Every single claim lowers your coverage amount.

Tyler2Tall

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2010
I don't understand how this is a deal. The inclusion of jailbroken phones is good, but its still going to cost $150 to replace your phone. You can get a replacement from Apple for $200. The best this warrenty will save you is $50...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.