Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blacksurfer

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2011
Just bought my first Apple computer!!!

I just bought my first iMac!

I have an iphone and an ipad and bought my daughter the Power Mac book last year. So I took my bonus and bought a mid 2011 iMac.

I'm loving it! I bought extra ram on Crucial and bought Office for Mac.
I needed a new computer since my old Acer with Windows 7 kept cutting off.

I just hope the 2012 model doesn't come out soon. LOL

Questions:

Can I put icons on the desktop or do they stay on the task bar (dock)?

Happy to join the iMac club!!

spedanden

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2012
Just sold my Macbook and ordered an iMac from Best Buy. I have the 45 day return policy so if the new one comes out, or is close to coming out within the 45 days, I'll swap/return it :)

- 3.1GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5
- 27" 2560 x 1440 resolution
- 4GB memory (have another 4GB waiting here at the house)
- 1TB hard drive (will also install my Corsair Performance Pro 256 SSD)
- AMD Radeon HD 6970M with 1GB

NextGenApple

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2011
Just sold my Macbook and ordered an iMac from Best Buy. I have the 45 day return policy so if the new one comes out, or is close to coming out within the 45 days, I'll swap/return it :)

- 3.1GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5
- 27" 2560 x 1440 resolution
- 4GB memory (have another 4GB waiting here at the house)
- 1TB hard drive (will also install my Corsair Performance Pro 256 SSD)
- AMD Radeon HD 6970M with 1GB

You should wait before installing SSD as you say you might return it. If you do any one
else buys that iMac and it developes a fault and Apple see that the machine has been tapered with the other owner will have a major problem because of you. I'll advise to install one you know you're keeping the machine & don't use it as a test machine.

Last edited:

blacksurfer

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2011

Question about Best Buy 45 day return: I have this too. Is there a restocking fee if we return it?

HeIIo

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2011
Welp, just ordered up an iMac... the new ones are allowed to come out now ;)

3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB
2TB Serial ATA Drive + 256GB Solid State Drive
AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2GB GDDR5

Ships in 2-4 business days.

Geolink

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2012
New York

Nice man. I want to pull the trigger so bad but the wait for this supposed new refresh is killing me.

Jasmynp

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2011
East Coast, USA
Just ordered a 2010 Refurbished iMac 21.5-inch 3.2GHz Intel Core i3 (1 tb 4gb ram) from apple.com. I hope I won't regret it. I got it to load up movies, music, pics, and pages files. I picked it over a mac mini because by the time i got the monitor, and other accessories, I'd be at about the same price. I already have an 11"MBA (quickly running out of space) and the new iPad. I hope I like this as much as I like those.

isoDUB

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2011
I am currently using an i3 2120, HD7750,4gb ram, 1tb PC, and got a Core2Duo 24" iMac from 2007. I look forward to learning how to finally use OSX. When I do, I will know Windows, OSX, and Linux :). And Apple IPS panels are gorgeous.

Liquinn

Suspended
Apr 10, 2011
Lets think about that. U may miss out on a near refresh
I'm not in the market for an iMac, but I guess someone would buy it if they're sick of waiting. I bought a MBP yesterday even though the rumored refresh is meant to be around the corner. Life goes on.

iFin

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2012
At local Mac shop there is an offer if you buy a mac now you´ll get 120€ gift card. Offer ends 13th May. So I guess by then we´ll see new Macs?

Cynikal.Mindset

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2010
Guelph ON, Canada
Ordered a refurb 27" i5 3.1ghz lastnight after himming and hawing over it for the past week...for $1659 I can't complain and I'm totally looking forward to its arrival...sure new ones are gonna be out soon I guess but I wasn't gonna buy new anyways and the 2011's are plenty good...gonna buy some extra RAM so I can install that when it comes in cuz 4gb is not enough

mikdog

macrumors member
May 8, 2012
Bought a second-hand 27" iMac i7 3.4 Ghz 16GB ram 256 SSD & 1TB HD. My bro's got it in another city. I look forward to using it. I've also been closely following the release of a new iMac, but South Africa would probably probably only get the new model released a month or two later if it was announced today, and I figure this machine will do me well. I'm not overly concerned about USB 3 and the glare screen (hopefully) isn't too bad given my workspace. So, I shall see.

DG'Digital

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2012
Indiana
New to Mac Community

Hey whats up guys? This is my first post on this forum, but from what I've been reading so far I think I'm going to really like this community of people. My names Danny and I just bought my first Apple product earlier this week....a brand new iMac 27" core i5, base gfx card, and i installed 8 GBs of ram so now I got 12 GB total. I'm loving this machine, and to think i used to HATE and hate on Apple for the longest time, but this has changed my mind for good. I like technology and I always try to get the highest quality components, whether its with computers or Dremel tools lol....even if i can't really afford it. Anyways, I can't wait for Diablo 3 and I already bought ST2. I hope I can contribute to this awesome community and I can't wait to get into this whole iMac scene. Thanks everyone.

jj48

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2011
UK
Hey whats up guys? This is my first post on this forum, but from what I've been reading so far I think I'm going to really like this community of people. My names Danny and I just bought my first Apple product earlier this week....a brand new iMac 27" core i5, base gfx card, and i installed 8 GBs of ram so now I got 12 GB total. I'm loving this machine, and to think i used to HATE and hate on Apple for the longest time, but this has changed my mind for good. I like technology and I always try to get the highest quality components, whether its with computers or Dremel tools lol....even if i can't really afford it. Anyways, I can't wait for Diablo 3 and I already bought ST2. I hope I can contribute to this awesome community and I can't wait to get into this whole iMac scene. Thanks everyone.

Congrats on your newest purchase. It still amazes me how many people say the sort of thing I have highlighted in bold from your post.

DG'Digital

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2012
Indiana
PC to Mac, Gaming

oh and by the way, I know that Macs aren't known for gaming, but I was in the market for a new gaming pc and I ended up buying a Mac......but for the most part I think this will do fine....i just won't be able to run BF3 on ultra settings, but I'm ok with that.....as long as i can play D3 & ST2, and maybe some other games like Minecraft, I think i'll be fine. I just wanted to put that out there that I am an avid gamer, peace

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination

Same here! The same configuration, CS6 Production Premium, a TBolt-to-eSATA adaptor 16GB RAM kit from MacSales, an 11TB of HDD storage for the Drobo S.

Waiting is for the birds when you have things you need to get done.

HeIIo

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2011
Same here! The same configuration, CS6 Production Premium, a TBolt-to-eSATA adaptor 16GB RAM kit from MacSales, an 11TB of HDD storage for the Drobo S.

Waiting is for the birds when you have things you need to get done.

I actually received mine on monday. So 5 days after I ordered, with a weekend in there too, and it was at my door! Could not be happier. A new video card would be nice for "future proofing" but this machine will do everything I need it to for years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.