Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What is your primary email service?

• iCloud

Votes: 94 22.0%
  • Microsoft Exchange (excluding Google Sync/ActiveSync)

Votes: 20 4.7%
  • Hotmail/ActiveSync

Votes: 17 4.0%
  • Gmail/Google Sync

Votes: 232 54.2%
  • Yahoo

Votes: 24 5.6%
  • AOL

Votes: 2 0.5%
  • Other

Votes: 39 9.1%

• Total voters

TLewis

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2007
The fact that iCloud can't keep badge counts updated across devices (is that ActiveSync?) is a dealbreaker for me.
That appears to be an icloud issue, as google sync and other exchange-based interfaces don't seem to have trouble updating the badge count. Google sync updates the badge count pretty quickly, although other exchange-based services may take a few minutes.

TLewis

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2007
I went from Gmail (contacts, calendar and email) to iCloud, once it was available. Before I did that, I was working with the two together. My Google data ended up with a blank calendar, a total disaster in contacts (old, deleted, duplicated data), and an increasingly less-secure email delivery system.
While I agree with you about the privacy issues, google does make it easy to backup your data (contacts, calendars, etc., etc.). With icloud, backing up icloud data can be a pain (step 2 of backing up an icloud calendar from the web involves publicly sharing your calendar -- seriously??? :eek: ).

----------

thanks, Ill check it out!
If you trust microsoft, also check out the various office365 plans. It's significantly cheaper than rackspace, but it does have one big issue: password aging (see my rant above in post #75). While it can be turned off, it's a pain.

kemo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2008
While I agree with you about the privacy issues, google does make it easy to backup your data (contacts, calendars, etc., etc.). With icloud, backing up icloud data can be a pain (step 2 of backing up an icloud calendar from the web involves publicly sharing your calendar -- seriously??? :eek: ).

Why would you need to backup data from Cloud (iCloud, Google) ? The only reason I would see to just move to a different provider, otherwise I dont see a reason to backup...

TLewis

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2007
Why would you need to backup data from Cloud (iCloud, Google) ? The only reason I would see to just move to a different provider, otherwise I dont see a reason to backup...
Sometimes:

• Something happens, and your cloud data gets corrupted, as has happened to Arelunde (see post #98).
  • You have a brain fart and accidentally mangle your data. (I've done this, and saved my *** by having backups. :D)
  • A bug in some program mangles your data.
  • Your cloud provider cuts you off. Yes, this does happen, and you might have done nothing to cause this. Sometimes, the cloud provider screws up and cuts you off, and sometimes someone hacks (or merely tries hacking) into your account, prompting the provider to shut you down.
The "cloud" isn't magical. You still need to backup your cloud data. Anyone who doesn't think so is deluding themself.

kemo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2008
Sometimes:

• Something happens, and your cloud data gets corrupted, as has happened to Arelunde (see post #98).
  • You have a brain fart and accidentally mangle your data. (I've done this, and saved my *** by having backups. :D)
  • A bug in some program mangles your data.
  • Your cloud provider cuts you off. Yes, this does happen, and you might have done nothing to cause this. Sometimes, the cloud provider screws up and cuts you off, and sometimes someone hacks (or merely tries hacking) into your account, prompting the provider to shut you down.
The "cloud" isn't magical. You still need to backup your cloud data. Anyone who doesn't think so is deluding themself.

Hmm okay, those are strong arguments, then Im going to backup all my data to another cloud as well + save them to my NAS locally :)

By the way, thanks for sum up!

kirky29

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2009
Lincolnshire, England
iCloud - had it from MobileMe free trials.

Syncs great between my Macs, iPhone & iPad.

Have two second Gmail ones though....one forwards to iCloud and the other I just visit on the web browser. :)

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
Used to use MobileMe but it was to difficult/slow to use so I switched to Gmail and have never looked back. Gmail also works with my Android phone also.

anyjungleinguy

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2012
firstname@lastname

Use my own domain, route it through Google Apps. Got multiple domain aliases that route to the same address as well like firstnamelastname.tld etc. Being a personal domain I can switch providers any time without losing data.

Hook my iOS devices to Google through Exchange/Active Sync for push.

I also use an iCloud for certain backup services. Mostly things that I'd need in the event of a failure with either my domain's name servers or something on Google's end.

Then I've got a Hotmail that I don't use, but keep active and my university email address which ofc runs on Exchange.

Rychy

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2007
iCloud from MobileMe. I consider my iCloud address and aliases my main email, very picky about who I give those addresses too. I use a gmail account a lot of random things.

App Downloader

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2011
I have a Gmail (for work), Hotmail (MSN, Facebook, friends), 2 Yahoo!'s (a @yahoo.com for filling in forms I don't trust and a @ymail.com for work), and an iCloud (never really use it)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.