Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daisydoo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 5, 2012
I was wondering what the resale values of a 17" 2006 mac book pro would be. It has original battery, hard drive etc... and is still on OX Tiger. I think the battery has had it as it heats up and the computer shuts down by itself. Maybe even the graphic card has gone? The screen goes funny before shutting down. I am not an expert, just going by what they told me at genius bar and they aren't sure without sending it off at $300 to check it. They told me its in mint condition and despite the issues I am having I should get top dollar.

Thinking best sell it and buy and new one or should I invest $ into fixing, upgrading, adding memory etc... Like I said, I am not an expert and am happy to sell for a new one, unless the 2006 machines are best holding on to. It seems so well made compared to whats avail now.

bozz2006

macrumors 68030
Aug 24, 2007
Minnesota
Nothing wrong with holding onto a computer that old. But, I don't think it offers you good value to put money into fixing it.

mikeo007

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2010
Worth about ~$500 working, maybe $200 for parts. Not worth fixing imo, just sell it as is.

daisydoo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 5, 2012
Ok thanks. Whats the best way to sell? Go to a reseller or craigslist?

dlimes13

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2011
Perrysburg, OH
Give Craigslist a try first and see what offers you get. You avoid the likes of eBay and fees, shipping, etc. If Craigslist doesn't work out, try eBay.

jdwagner888

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2011
craigslist is the easiest way to sell these kind of things. you will have it gone in hours at the right price!

MacInTO

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2005
Canada, eh!
Does anyone know if the trackpad on the 17" is the same size ast the 15" mbp of the same era?

I'm asking because I found an unused Power Support trackpad protector film set from my (long since sold) 15" mbp. I want to eBay the set and wanted more accurate info if it will fit also on the 17".

Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.