Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

signal1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 4, 2012
After seeing AT&T release a update and now AT&T's iphone show 4g on the screen and is also considerably faster will verizon ever do the same thing or is this wishful thinking?

xnickitynickx

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2012
Orlando, FL
The AT&T ones say 4G because it's runs on their "4G" network which is what they consider their hsdpa network. Verizon still uses the same 3G CDMA network. Therefore, no 4G indicator.

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
After seeing AT&T release a update and now AT&T's iphone show 4g on the screen and is also considerably faster will verizon ever do the same thing or is this wishful thinking?

The AT&T phone is the same speed as it was before the 5.1 update. It just now says 4G.

mpossoff

macrumors 68020
Mar 21, 2010
Philadelphia
The AT&T phone is the same speed as it was before the 5.1 update. It just now says 4G.

Maybe, maybe not. I've been experiencing faster speeds lately. AT&T has definately been doing something in my region.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1336293957.877761.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1336293968.969525.jpg

signal1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 4, 2012
what I am wondering is if verizon will ever update their 3g towers to be like At&T

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
No, they've already "bet" on LTE, as has everyone else.

At some point in the not-very-distant-future, all up-to-date networks will be running some form of LTE.

Soon, people will be arguing the merits of TD-LTE vs. FD-LTE and bandwidth, band and so on. LTE is a really "wide" standard in that there are a ton of variations that can take place within the standard.

signal1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 4, 2012
No, they've already "bet" on LTE, as has everyone else.

At some point in the not-very-distant-future, all up-to-date networks will be running some form of LTE.

Soon, people will be arguing the merits of TD-LTE vs. FD-LTE and bandwidth, band and so on. LTE is a really "wide" standard in that there are a ton of variations that can take place within the standard.

so will the verizon 4s soon be operating on the LTE network?

mac.cali

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2012
so will the verizon 4s soon be operating on the LTE network?

You are a newb!

Only the next version of the iPhone will take advantage of the LTE speeds. AT&T just markets their HSPA+ as 4G. It's more like 3G+. 4G is LTE and that's not even true 4G speeds, yet.

As for your increased speeds they probably increased the backhaul.

signal1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 4, 2012
You are a newb!

Only the next version of the iPhone will take advantage of the LTE speeds. AT&T just markets their HSPA+ as 4G. It's more like 3G+. 4G is LTE and that's not even true 4G speeds, yet.

NEWB ohhhh ouch sorry for not KNOWING everything, thats why I am asking questions. I know what 4G is maybe i am just asking my question wrong. Lets try this will the 4s ever get an increase in download speed like AT&T

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
You are a newb!

Be nice...

Also, there are a very large number of items that AT&T could have done to the cell site besides backhaul improvements which would result in better throughput.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.

Yes, Verizon will do the same if the next iphone is LTE enabled and LTE service is available in your local area.
But even if they do you will not get any faster speeds staying with your verizon 4S.

what I am wondering is if verizon will ever update their 3g towers to be like At&T

No, their CDMA 3G will never be as fast as AT&T's HSPA+ that in some areas gets 9-10mpbs.
Its not something that can be upgraded like that without getting a new iphone with possibly an LTE chip.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Be nice...

Also, there are a very large number of items that AT&T could have done to the cell site besides backhaul improvements which would result in better throughput.

Verizon 4S is currently as fast as it will ever be.

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
NEWB ohhhh ouch sorry for not KNOWING everything, thats why I am asking questions. I know what 4G is maybe i am just asking my question wrong. Lets try this will the 4s ever get an increase in download speed like AT&T

How??? Verizon has their 4G LTE network that is 10 times faster then at&t's hspa+ network. It's the iPhone that isn't compatible with verizons LTE network, It's not something that Verizon is doing to limit the iPhone. Plus, AT&T's hspa+ isn't much faster then VZW's 3G. You want real speed, Verizons LTE network is what u want. And the iPhone 4S will never be able to get it.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Lets try this will the 4s ever get an increase in download speed like AT&T
Read posts 3 & 9 in this thread again (and feel free to corroborate with other sources). The 4s isn't any faster than it was previously on at&t.

Maybe, maybe not. I've been experiencing faster speeds lately. AT&T has definately been doing something in my region.
There's no "maybe" about it. The 4s is still only an HSPA+ device and not LTE. Any speed increase is not due to a magic change in its specs. There are other variables (congestion, backhaul, tower placement etc) that can affect your speed and that's what your experiencing.

i worded that wrong so chill out geeeeeez
Wording has nothing to do with it. At&t decided to call HSPA+ "4G" even though it's really just 3G. Verizon won't do the same because they don't have an HSPA+ network. Again, the 4s isn't any faster on at&t. It just says 4G instead of 3G. It's like if you decide to write "300 mph" at the upper limit of your car's speedometer. Your car doesn't go any faster either.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.