Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lifeguard

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 25, 2010
I have seen and read multiple articles about the Supposed next iPhone having a new connector. Supposably it is going to have fewer pins smaller size allows for more room for other things etc etc etc....

I am wondering what is the merit of Apple designing and integrating a unique connection port vs using something that is proven a very capable design like the mini or micro USB connection.

I know there are going to be people who say well then they can use any other usb device such as a charger or doc or whatever but I have a 3rd party doc with the original Apple connection that my iPhone 4 says is not compatible so why can't they do the same for an iPhone using the mini/micro USB cable?

Also I know we are just speculating but I would be interested to know what others think the new connector will be like. Are you envisioning a mini 30pin type connector or more of a blade usb type.

Curious to your thoughts

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
I can only come up with two reasons why Apple would change the charging/sync port.

1. Making it smaller in some form allows for a design change that is a hinderance or impossible with the current port.

2. The new port allows for much faster recharging.

Perhaps there are other reasons too, but that's all I can think of currently. And honestly I am highly suspicious that there is any truth to said rumor. Consumers have invested a ton of money into docks and the like that are compatible with iPod's and iPhone's. If Apple changes the port of the current line, then they will have to release an adapter of some sort. And who knows if said adapter would be compatible with all docks, etc. (My guess is they would not.)

So I'll believe the change in connector when I see it.

Gix1k

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2008
This would be a nightmare to every car company out there. I see this being a huge mistake on Apple's part.

applefanDrew

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2010
I can only come up with two reasons why Apple would change the charging/sync port.

1. Making it smaller in some form allows for a design change that is a hinderance or impossible with the current port.

Perhaps there are other reasons too, but that's all I can think of currently. And honestly I am highly suspicious that there is any truth to said rumor. Consumers have invested a ton of money into docks and the like that are compatible with iPod's and iPhone's. If Apple changes the port of the current line, then they will have to release an adapter of some sort. And who knows if said adapter would be compatible with all docks, etc. (My guess is they would not.)

New dock connector allows for a thinner phone and more room internally. I'll bet Apple sells a $29 adapter from 30 pin to 16 pin connector to make it an easy transition.

macMD

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2005
New York
The only way Apple gets around the microUSB requirement in the EU is to sell a 30 Pin to microUSB adapter. They don't give EU customers one, they have to buy it. Something that should be sold in the US since I get tired of the 30 pin connector cables breaking all the time and paying $20 for a replacement is a joke.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
New dock connector allows for a thinner phone and more room internally. I'll bet Apple sells a $29 adapter from 30 pin to 16 pin connector to make it an easy transition.

I'm sure that's what would happen if the pin changes.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006

You missed the one that will force people to buy a bunch of new stuff and adaptors. Adaptors that are more than near 100% pure profit.

Really if Apple is going to do this change then they should then go to micro USB and follow suit with everyone else.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
That suks. FRAGMENTATION.

Another reason to go Android. All all have the same connector.

The Android platform isn't fragmented with over 90 devices with different hardware and software running on it?

Me thinks you need to learn one fragmentation means.

----------

You missed the one that will force people to buy a bunch of new stuff and adaptors. Adaptors that are more than near 100% pure profit.

Really if Apple is going to do this change then they should then go to micro USB and follow suit with everyone else.

Seeing how as adapters come with the phones I can't see this as being a genuine point.

I believe new charging ports are due to the European laws requiring all phones to have the same standard.

Arnezie

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2011
This would be a nightmare to every car company out there. I see this being a huge mistake on Apple's part.

I'm sure if they change from the current set up they would make an adapter and sell you one ;) wouldn't profit from that :eek:

djrod

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2008
Madrid - Spain
I did not know that.

I wonder if that is a concern to Apple as they want everything done wirelessly thru the cloud?

Not everything...

iPad-2-HDMI-2.jpg

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
I don't even get this question.

First, it doesn't matter what the actual connector on the iphone is as long as there's a usb plug on the other end, so it's not going to play havoc with anyone's car or anything else.

Second, there's a huge ecosystem out there that is based on that plug. Apple won't change it on a whim, even if it's old technology.

Does everyone think the micro-usb plug is what's going to be plugging into everything from your monitor to your car stereo?

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
The Android platform isn't fragmented with over 90 devices with different hardware and software running on it?

Me thinks you need to learn one fragmentation means.

----------

Seeing how as adapters come with the phones I can't see this as being a genuine point.

I believe new charging ports are due to the European laws requiring all phones to have the same standard.

Apples met those rules. If they design a new port it won't be USB!

watchthisspace

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2010

First, it doesn't matter what the actual connector on the iphone is as long as there's a usb plug on the other end, so it's not going to play havoc with anyone's car or anything else.

Second, there's a huge ecosystem out there that is based on that plug. Apple won't change it on a whim, even if it's old technology.

Does everyone think the micro-usb plug is what's going to be plugging into everything from your monitor to your car stereo?

No, everyone is worried that the pin out will change, making car stereo's incompatible if Apple goes a Micro-USB route. - However I don't mind being proven wrong here as I'm not sure whether on the USB connector side the pinout has to match or something.

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2008
Another disadvantage is the accumulated cables I have. I can have a cable/charger at work that works with either my iPad or iPhone. Another cable in the truck for playing through the stereo. Plus the cord I leave plugged in the computer, and the cord/charger in the bedroom.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
I have seen and read multiple articles about the Supposed next iPhone having a new connector. Supposably it is going to have fewer pins smaller size allows for more room for other things etc etc etc....

I am wondering what is the merit of Apple designing and integrating a unique connection port vs using something that is proven a very capable design like the mini or micro USB connection.
Apples basic business practice has always been about proprietary connectors for iDevices. The lack of a memory card expansion slot or a micro USB port is Apple demonstrating total control over users. We are only allowed to use the device as Apple allows. They thrive on power & control.

That's why we currently have the big bulbous, ugly dock connector, which looks so hideous on the sleek and stylish iPhone 4S. It reveals how hypocritical Apple can be.

On one hand they brag about small, sleek & thin designs, yet on the other, they pair them with a dock connector which looks so out of place it's not funny. If a connector this size was used by the competition, Apple worshipers would be all over them with hate & criticism.

The current speculation involves what is another proprietary connector that's finally been reduced in size. For years Apple continued to cling to this large connector out of defiance. Reducing it's size is way overdue.

daviddth

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2009
Australia
The only way Apple gets around the microUSB requirement in the EU is to sell a 30 Pin to microUSB adapter. They don't give EU customers one, they have to buy it. Something that should be sold in the US since I get tired of the 30 pin connector cables breaking all the time and paying $20 for a replacement is a joke.

I bought 10 cables DELIVERED for $20 in total, so now I have spares everywhere, and you know how many I have broken? 1, and that was because I ran my chair wheels over it by accident at my PC desk.

I find the Apple 30 min connectors fine and reliable, and would not actually like to see Apple go away from that format unless they have to - there are some items such as docks, holders, car and house stereo's etc which wont work with adapters due to space limitations.

----------

Um, my car stereo had a built in Apple 30 pin dock and neatly fits the 3G through 4S in a slot on the front, and a clip at the top stops the phone moving. Any additional height from a longer phone (OK I can handle about 7mm longer thats it) will cause issues. My house stereo had an Apple dock, as does the one in the caravan - both might be able to handle an adapter provided it's not more than 8mm-10mm longer

None of my connection points, even the bedside dock for my phone, uses the USB plug - thats on the PC for charging and syncing the rest of the iOS devices. A change in dock connector size wont be the end of the world, but does not make good business sence to me.

Mak47

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2011
Harrisburg, PA
There are plenty of reasons to change the connector. The fact that lots of people have devices that are compatible with the current one will not be considered a reason to keep it the same, at least not for Apple, and it really is the only reason to keep it the same.

So, why would it be good? What kinds of things might be possible?

1. Smaller port allows for other things or a smaller design.

2. Wired adapters and connections are less and less necessary. Between Bluetooth 4.0, WiFi and AirPlay, the need to connect physically to something is becoming a thing of the past. Changing the adapter will inspire a change in strategy for users and 3rd party manufacturers.

3. A Symmetrical design. The fact that the dock connector only goes in one way can lead to problems. People aren't always smart...or sober. A connection that allows the user to connect the plug any direction, or that outright blocks it if it's wrong would be beneficial.

4. USB 3.0. Many PC's will be coming with USB 3.0 compatibility, and with Ivy Bridge including it natively I can't really see why Apple would not include it on new Macs. The existing 30 Pin connector may not be compatible with USB 3.0.

5. Thunderbolt. A kind of proprietary "Mini" Thunderbolt connection would be great for Mac users (and PC users when it's adopted). We already know that power can be supplied via Thunderbolt, the question is whether or not they can shrink it to fit in a phone. If they can, this would be a great reason to make a change.

6. MagSafe. MagSafe is a great idea on MacBooks. It has saved my laptops dozens of times. I'm sure it will do the same for iPhones and iPads. Plus it's so cool, all of my PC toting friends are jealous every time they see it. This could be a major selling point for iOS devices.

7. There is no more charging port. I know, it sounds crazy. But what if they're really killing off the charging port altogether and only leaving a Micro USB port for maintenance like on the Apple TV? Maybe it'll work for charging, but be meant as a backup method? You can sync via WiFi. Maybe there will be an inductive back on the new iPhone perhaps? Most high quality audio accessories connect via WiFi or Bluetooth anyway...Do we really even need a charging port anymore?

URFloorMatt

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2010
Washington, D.C.
A change in dock connector size wont be the end of the world, but does not make good business sence to me.
It does if you're thinking in terms of patents. The 30-pin connector continues in use because Apple holds the patent. Since the 30-pin connector has been in use for 10 years, the patent is at least 10 years old, which means it's in the latter half of its life. Time to transition before Apple loses exclusive rights/control of the patent, so that when it does expire, there will be no need for 30-pin connectors in the marketplace.

I'm sure they'll come up with an adapter to make the transition fairly seamless. Given Apple's constant push towards new technologies (and fairly quick practice of abandoning old ones), I'm surprised the 30-pin has been a staple of iDevices for as long as it has.

bpaluzzi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2010
London

False. Apple doesn't need to sell / provide any adapters to be 100% in compliance with with the EU law. The 30-pin connector to USB-A plug is already in compliance.

Apples basic business practice has always been about proprietary connectors for iDevices. The lack of a memory card expansion slot or a micro USB port is Apple demonstrating total control over users. We are only allowed to use the device as Apple allows. They thrive on power & control.

Or it could be the fact that the Apple connector offers FAR more functionality than a USB dock would. Nah, that couldn't be it... :rolleyes:

On one hand they brag about small, sleek & thin designs, yet on the other, they pair them with a dock connector which looks so out of place it's not funny. If a connector this size was used by the competition, Apple worshipers would be all over them with hate & criticism.

You mean like the Samsung connection, which is almost exactly the same as Apple's? Don't see many people hating / criticising that one (other than the fact that it's just another example of Samsung's blatant Apple-love)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.