Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iaddict

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 15, 2007
I think we have decided to go this route to be able to download content from the web and also stream to our tv and turn off satellite. The only question remains - with the server what added functionality would I have that I would not have with the reg MacMini? Just thinking that for us the server might be more than what we would need/use.

sgand

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2011
I think we have decided to go this route to be able to download content from the web and also stream to our tv and turn off satellite. The only question remains - with the server what added functionality would I have that I would not have with the reg MacMini? Just thinking that for us the server might be more than what we would need/use.

Ha, I was actually wondering the same thing earlier today. I anxiously await responses.

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
The base Mini with a RAM upgrade or maybe the mid model with the graphics card would do great for you. The server for HTPC use doesn't do anything different besides having the two drives built in.

iaddict

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 15, 2007
EvilC5- can I ask specifically why you wished you didn't buy the server? I saw a post at MacWorld saying because the hard drive in the reg mini is so slow the best route is to attach an external hard drive. Just curious if anyone else has this same opinion?

EvilC5

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2010
Hanover MD
I'm no system admin, and the osx server stuff seems to cause me great headache even if I have minimal services running.

FredT2

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2009
EvilC5- can I ask specifically why you wished you didn't buy the server? I saw a post at MacWorld saying because the hard drive in the reg mini is so slow the best route is to attach an external hard drive. Just curious if anyone else has this same opinion?
Or you could get the build-to-order 750GB 7200 rpm drive upgrade. As for your original server vs non-server question, if you do much video file conversion you might consider the server with its quad-core i7.

pjfan

macrumors regular
May 24, 2009
Columbus OH
For just iTunes + Web content, the standard mini may fit the bill just fine.

Myself; I purchased a standard mini early last year with the same applications as you're suggesting, and was going to sell our iMac (2007 2.8 GHz) at some point. To me, instant on was essential, so I installed an SSD.

What really happened, however, is that I ran eyeTV on the iMac most the time and transferred to the mini... with the new Apple TV, I'm now trying to decide between the 2007 iMac or the 2010 mini as I no longer care to mess with anything but Apple TV is awesome and perfect for our environment.

If I could do it today, I would buy the Mini Server refurb (same reasoning as FredT2) and Apple TV. I vowel to never run an OS on HDD again, so I would connect via thunderbolt or FW800 and install it that way.... but instead, I'll likely make due with the Mini w/ my installed SSD.

Anyhow - best of luck, let us know what works out for you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.