Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PatrickW98

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 26, 2012
Subrubs of Chicago, IL
This summer I am planning to get my first Macbook Pro/Air. But I heard a new Macbook Pro/Air is coming out this July. Should I still buy the Macbook Pro/Air or wait for the Macbook Pro/Air?

PatrickW98

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 26, 2012
Subrubs of Chicago, IL
If you don't need a new computer now you can always wait. Not really sure what you want us to tell you. Since you're asking, the odds are that a new model will make zero noticeable difference to you.
I need a new computer. I have a HP Pavilion mx703.
c00041241.jpg

I am asking -- Should I get the current Macbook Pro/Air or should I wait for the next one coming this summer?

Dweez

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2011
Down by the river
Do whatever will make you smile. If you want/need it now, make the purchase. If you don't and want to see what the next release(s) will be, wait.

:)

Bobby.e

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2012
Kansas
It's like the old saying If you keep waiting around for the latest technology you are going to be waiting forever.

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
Will it be worth waiting?

The new models will, in the end, be good about a year longer than the current ones in terms of handling future innovations in software.

They'll likely be lighter or have longer battery life or both. They may have higher screen resolution, better graphics and USB 3.0

And when they come out, the current models will drop in price at the Apple refurb store.

If you buy now, you'll be happy now. If you wait, you'll likely be happier, but you'll have missed out on a few months of happiness.

Only you can decide what's more important to you. But you mention you're not buying until the summer anyway, so I'm not sure what the issue is.

Medic278

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2012
New York
If you need a machine now the current gen machines are fantastic I have 3 of them. The performance gain from ivy bridge is reported to be quite marginal 5-10% depending what you read. When the refresh is released the current machines will not instantly become obsolete and they will continue to meet your needs for quite some time. You'll be very happy with a current machine and it will be leaps and bounds better than your old school HP pavilion. I say if you want or need it now then buy it you won't be disappointed you can play the waiting game forever!

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
I am buying in early June and the new Macs are suppose to come in July. :I

Well there's no fixed date for when they're coming - or indeed, no proof they're coming at all. We might know better in early June, but if you have to make the purchase then, there isn't much you can do about it.

PeckhamBog

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2007
London
You don't need to wait, the current generation will serve you just fine.

The next generation will be better but you are unlikely to notice the difference in use.

The only possible reason for waiting is the refresh is likely to be less than three months from here, which will race by.

jacob-07

macrumors regular
May 14, 2011
If you don't need it now just wait. If you feel the previous model suits your needs better, you can always get the previous model for a lot cheaper than what the new model will cost.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.