Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marcusj0015

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 29, 2011
U.S.A.
Not to bitch or anything, but the whole 8 Safari tabs and 12 apps in a folder are really ****ing annoying. they're driving me a little crazy tbh.

why won't Apple just unlimit those things? they can page background tabs to a cache somewhere. :Sigh:

Jare

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2010
Canada
Not to bitch or anything, but the whole 8 Safari tabs and 12 apps in a folder are really ****ing annoying. they're driving me a little crazy tbh.

why won't Apple just unlimit those things? they can page background tabs to a cache somewhere. :Sigh:

You honestly need more then 8 Safari tabs open? I think you need some productivity management.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
This is exactly what the Reading List was designed for. It's a way to save stuff for a little while without permanently committing it to your bookmarks.

Act like you're going to add the page to your bookmarks but then send it to Reading List instead of bookmarks.

(It even syncs among all your devices so that's a little added bonus right there.)

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
The 8/9 tab limit* in Safari isn't specifically an iOS limitation, as third party browsers like iCab will let you have more than that.

*The iPad allows 9 tabs in Safari (and 20 items in a folder)

Last edited:

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Is this really the best rationalization you can do? These limits are frustrating and probably aren't even needed.

If Safari offered 100 tabs someone would complain that they need 101. :eek: You can never satisfy all of the people all of the time.;)

marcusj0015

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 29, 2011
U.S.A.
The point is, theres no reason for the limitation, infact it cost them money and time that was completely unnecessary to implement in the first place.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
The point is, theres no reason for the limitation, infact it cost them money and time that was completely unnecessary to implement in the first place.

The reason is that it keeps people from just leaving 100 pages open and then complaining that they can't find anything.

Ok, so you'd use it efficiently, but for every 1 of you there'd be 100 people who just don't close things because they're lazy. Then the iPhone would be known as "that phone where it's hard to find your tab."

I know so many people on both Macs and Windows who have a filing system of "I have 500 files on my desktop." Neither Apple or Microsoft can "fix" their legacy computers because people would complain if they changed them too much. So they're both stuck there, but they're trying to correct those mistakes in their tablet computers.

Trust me, those same people would make their phones into a similar a mess if they could. Apple's idea with iOS is that it would help people avoid that kind of crap. And it does that pretty well.

So removing this limitation would help you, but it would "hurt" 100 other users in exchange. That's a bad exchange for Apple.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
There is a reason. Not knowing/understanding/agreeing with the reason doesn't mean that there isn't one. :rolleyes:

Is this really the best rationalization you can do? These limits are frustrating and probably aren't even needed.
Citation? Do you develop code for Safari or other mobile browsers?

Xgm541

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2011
The limitation is there because the phone can't open all those tabs at the same time anyway because of memory limitations. If you had 8 tabs open your phone would slow down so closing them makes the phone run faster.

Makes sense to me.

applemagic123

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2009
wow dude

People commenting seriously think that apple is god's gift to fan boys. Man you guys completely undermined the op's feelings. man, I completely agree with the op. I think 8 tabs is a bit much, get a desk top for peet's sake. But 12 apps per folder is ridiculous. I have a bunch of games on my iPhone and the 12 app limit is VERY VERY frikken annoying. I have 2 folders that are both named "entertainment."

I was happy about getting a factory unlocked iPhone because I didn't have to jailbreak it to use tmobile (grandfathered account here) but with the 12 app to a folder limitation, I'm seriously thinking about jailbreaking this thing. :apple:

And all you people saying WHY the limiations are there, how do you know that's the reason why they're there? Maybe they're there to make people want to jailbreak their devices and void their warrenties. Psht!

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
If I have more than 4 tabs open at a time I get constant page refreshes in Safari. I can only imagine what it would be like if I had 8 o more tabs open at a time. :eek:

Jagardn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2011
But 12 apps per folder is ridiculous. I have a bunch of games on my iPhone and the 12 app limit is VERY VERY frikken annoying. I have 2 folders that are both named "entertainment."

If you were to use spotlight, your problem wouldn't matter. I have Multiple games folders, but I don't care what is in what. I just use spotlight, start typing the app name and I'm done. If they didn't have a limitation and you had 1000 apps in your entertainment folder, how would you find the one you wanted?

The answer is still spotlight.

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney

Well 8+ tabs would be far more useful if it cached websites on the device while in a active tab. I rarely get past 4 before it has to render the website from the network most of the times I change tab.

Certainly some room for fixing Safari.

twigman08

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2012
If you were to use spotlight, your problem wouldn't matter. I have Multiple games folders, but I don't care what is in what. I just use spotlight, start typing the app name and I'm done. If they didn't have a limitation and you had 1000 apps in your entertainment folder, how would you find the one you wanted?

The answer is still spotlight.

This! I wonder why it seems people don't use it? I can find just about anything I need right in spotlight. Want to go to a certain text you remember typing? Spotlight. You want to search wikipedia? Spotlight. Want to open up a quick app? Spotlight.

Which one is better? Looking through 24 apps in one folder (assuming both Entertainment folders were full), or just swiping over to Spotlight and type around three letters and open it right up? Spotlight. I use it all the time and i always seem to be more "productive" on my phone than some other people are because of Spotlight.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar

Wrong. It has to do with memory management. I'm not going into the nitty gritty details here of OS level memory management (you'll need to read up on programming books for that and iOS documentation) but limits need to be in place to keep the iPhone running at a consistent performance.

And I highly doubt it cost Apple money.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.