Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

otinokyad

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2012
Thanks to all!

Thanks to a couple of people here for the Best Buy SKU. As a result, I got the last (only?) one in my local store (Albany, NY).

A couple of caveats/concerns:
(1) The iPad is extremely stable in landscape mode, but has already fallen out once in portrait. I don't think I will try that again!
(2) Overall workmanship is excellent, though I wonder at the quality, strength, feel of the black plastic(?) facing immediately behind the slot for the iPad.

And a couple of replies to questions above:
(1) The magnets are very strong, and I can pick the whole thing up by the iPad, without the KB falling off, but I wouldn't suggest carrying it around that way!
(2) I, too, like the feel of the Apple BT keyboard better, but the integrated and portable nature of the Logitech wins out.

As for that portability, my only regret (so far) is that the iPad+KB will not fit in my wonderful Sena leather sleeve. The combo is a perfect fit, however, in my Higher Ground 10" Flak Jacket -- and very well protected.

Someone mentioned the Blue Lounge Design Kicks Protection Pads. Had never heard of them, but they should be great for the backs of both the iPad and the Logitech. Ordering them now! Thanks.

floridonet

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2011
Irvine, CA
So I went to a local BB that I knew had the Ultrathin keyboard in stock. When I got there, I found there was only 1 left. I asked one of the reps there if I could open it and compare it against the Tablet Keyboard for the iPad. I tested both and I went with the latter.

Although I agree with the others regarding the quality, convenience, etc of the Ultrathin, I just found the keys too cramped for my taste and the button press just felt too shallow for my taste.

eg2007

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2007
So I went to a local BB that I knew had the Ultrathin keyboard in stock. When I got there, I found there was only 1 left. I asked one of the reps there if I could open it and compare it against the Tablet Keyboard for the iPad. I tested both and I went with the latter.

Although I agree with the others regarding the quality, convenience, etc of the Ultrathin, I just found the keys too cramped for my taste and the button press just felt too shallow for my taste.

It's definitely bigger. I had it, but after a week of carrying around a second item, took it back. Nice keyboard though. You get used to the smaller keyboard after a while. It's like all those who didn't like the iPhone keyboard. After a while, you just get used to it. Different strokes for different folks as always. Glad you found something you like.

eg2007

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2007
i'll have to go check it out tomorrow at BB for sure..

have you guys heard of the logitech solar ipad keyboard? i was dead set on buying it upon seeing it at BB tomorrow, but then I found this..

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/tablet-accessories/keyboards/devices/solar-keyboard-folio

Yeah, I saw it too. On the fence. I get 45 days to return my Logitech at Best Buy, but I'm really liking it. It'll all come down to form factor. I like that I can just whip off the thin one and slap my smart cover on if I want a slimmer profile. I've had the Adonit Writer Plus as well, and so far, this thin Logitech is better for me. Ask me in a month if I still have what I have now haha. I tend to change things up often.

I also received my HHI carbon fiber skin today. Got it for a few bucks off Amazon. Put that on my iPad to give me another option. My i-Blason still fits over the carbon fiber skin. Stay tuned...

mobilebuddha

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2008
not to stray off topic, but could you link the skin?

Yeah, I saw it too. On the fence. I get 45 days to return my Logitech at Best Buy, but I'm really liking it. It'll all come down to form factor. I like that I can just whip off the thin one and slap my smart cover on if I want a slimmer profile. I've had the Adonit Writer Plus as well, and so far, this thin Logitech is better for me. Ask me in a month if I still have what I have now haha. I tend to change things up often.

I also received my HHI carbon fiber skin today. Got it for a few bucks off Amazon. Put that on my iPad to give me another option. My i-Blason still fits over the carbon fiber skin. Stay tuned...

eg2007

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2007
not to stray off topic, but could you link the skin?

Looks like they are oos, but if you do an Amazon search they have a combo pack:: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005GMUJ8A/ref=redir_mdp_mobile/191-9124320-3196403?ref_=pe_175190_21431760_C1_cs_sce_3p_dp_1

richlee111

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2011
A couple of caveats/concerns:
(2) Overall workmanship is excellent, though I wonder at the quality, strength, feel of the black plastic(?) facing immediately behind the slot for the iPad.

IMO, this is the biggest disappoint. For $99, you would expect thaat the backside of the cover to be made of aluminum or metal, if not at least a higher or thicker grade plastic. Given the thin and fragile feel of the plastic, I just don't think this thing will last that long given the wear and tear, as well as occasional accidental drops. I get the feeling that one good drop will cause it to break or have a major crack.

I still have my Apple BT Keyboard that I used w/ an Incase Origami Workstation case. Originally I bulked at the $70 price for that keyboard, but man, you know that thing can take a licking but keep on typing!

For now, I will keep this Ultrathin. The keyboard feel is decent and you can't beat the integration and design of it being a cover/keyboard.

So +1 for design/engineering but -1 for quality and long term durability

clyde2801

macrumors 601
Original poster
IMO, this is the biggest disappoint. For $99, you would expect thaat the backside of the cover to be made of aluminum or metal, if not at least a higher or thicker grade plastic. Given the thin and fragile feel of the plastic, I just don't think this thing will last that long given the wear and tear, as well as occasional accidental drops. I get the feeling that one good drop will cause it to break or have a major crack.

I still have my Apple BT Keyboard that I used w/ an Incase Origami Workstation case. Originally I bulked at the $70 price for that keyboard, but man, you know that thing can take a licking but keep on typing!

For now, I will keep this Ultrathin. The keyboard feel is decent and you can't beat the integration and design of it being a cover/keyboard.

So +1 for design/engineering but -1 for quality and long term durability

I never thought of looking at that part. And as I found out, the magnet rail is not the most durable, either. I'm figuring they're wanting to keep costs and weight down as much as possible, even at the expense of long term durability.

Unlike an apple BT KB, I think it's highly unlikely we'll be using this by the time the iPad 4 or 5 comes out. (And more unlikely still that the newer models will be sufficiently the same to use it!);)

I have the origami case and apple kb...and it's unbeatable for all but weight and portability.

eg2007

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2007
I never thought of looking at that part. And as I found out, the magnet rail is not the most durable, either. I'm figuring they're wanting to keep costs and weight down as much as possible, even at the expense of long term durability.

Unlike an apple BT KB, I think it's highly unlikely we'll be using this by the time the iPad 4 or 5 comes out. (And more unlikely still that the newer models will be sufficiently the same to use it!);)

I have the origami case and apple kb...and it's unbeatable for all but weight and portability.

Yeah, I think the point here is WEIGHT and PORTABILITY. The iPad wasn't meant to need a keyboard. But, we want one that is small and light. I could be wrong, but this Logitech Ultrathin seems to be the best option for now. $99 isn't that much considering most non-Apple people out there would scold us for even having a $500 iPad. ;)

clyde2801

macrumors 601
Original poster
My friend is happy...

He was able to find the box and receipt for his Zagg folio and take it back to Best Buy in time to exchange it for a logitech ultrathin after laying his hands on mine for the first time!

I've had accessories, cases, etc., but nothing's gotten the reaction of this case when I've shown it to friends and coworkers. Instead of 'nice' or 'cool', the predominant response is "WHERE DID YOU GET THAT?!?".

eg2007

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2007
Added a back skin

So, I've received my HHI leatherskin and added it to the back of my Logitech Ultrathin. Looks cool and works really well.

Here are some pics. Had to trim areas as you can see: http://bit.ly/KFTXrG

Here's the leatherskin I bought for $1.99: http://amzn.to/KFUM3H

mobilebuddha

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2008

mobilebuddha

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2008
yeah I had a change of heart after I read your other post and thought about what you paid for and what I was going to pay for.

so i cancelled my order and ordered what you got instead.. :) Was yours 5 bucks after shipping?

So, I've received my HHI leatherskin and added it to the back of my Logitech Ultrathin. Looks cool and works really well.

Here are some pics. Had to trim areas as you can see: http://bit.ly/KFTXrG

Here's the leatherskin I bought for $1.99: http://amzn.to/KFUM3H

eg2007

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2007
yeah I had a change of heart after I read your other post and thought about what you paid for and what I was going to pay for.

so i cancelled my order and ordered what you got instead.. :) Was yours 5 bucks after shipping?

I think so. It's nice. Has a nice texture. Picked up on for my New iPad as well in case I get bored of my I-Blason.

I'm in Los Angeles and got it in 2 days. I think they ship from CA, Fisrst Class USPS.

mobilebuddha

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2008
Btw, a lot of the bestbuys in LA area are out of the Logitech ultrathin keyboards. Just in case any of you folks in LA are looking for one. Apparently BB is getting a new shipment of it next week, or so they tell me.

I think so. It's nice. Has a nice texture. Picked up on for my New iPad as well in case I get bored of my I-Blason.

I'm in Los Angeles and got it in 2 days. I think they ship from CA, Fisrst Class USPS.

clyde2801

macrumors 601
Original poster
So, you want more protection?

I've posted previously that I've been able to use my new iPad and logitech ultrathin keyboard cover quite well in a Targus Hughes Leather Portfolio (for iPad 1) which I found on clearance my local Best Buy when the iPad 2's came out.

Nice, easy to use modular protection for taking my iPad keyboard combo out into the wild. Nicely padded, genuine leather simple slipcase to adequately protect the iPad in style without announcing to the world that you're toting high priced apple electronics with you. I also like the tab on the front that can hold the case closed either through an enclosed magnet or inserting it into a slot on the front of the case.

I found the brown oiled leather version at a local TJ Maxx for $19.99, and just found out Best Buy has the black oiled leather version online at the clearance price of $19.99, with free shipping! At that price, I'll have to try the black one, which should go better with my black pad and logitech than the brown. Considering these cases still sell for up to $63 online, and work perfectly well with the new iPad, these prices are hard to beat.

And finally, like any good leather product, a nice coating of Cadillac Shoe and Boot cleaner helps to deepen the look of the leather and take out any minor scratches that your Targus may have picked up in addition to cleaning it.

Thought I'd pass this along.

clyde2801

macrumors 601
Original poster
????

Honestly, beats the hell outta me! After I posted the question, people reported in about this appearing at BB, and this kind of morphed into an impromptu review and discussion thread.

There's a newer thread (about getting it for $79.99 with the registration discount) that may contain more pertinent info. Good luck!

oldjawbone

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2012
Cust service

I called customer service on Monday to ask about my order (placed on 5/1), and the rep I talked to said that the item is still on "pre-order" status and would be shipping at the "end of the month."

I told her the website designates that the keyboard cover is "in stock" and she said "I know they've been having some glitches on the website, but the item is still only available for pre-order."

Needless to say I was/am confused and disheartened about this, and can only say I've now just resigned to waiting/not trusting any info I get from Logitech...

steviemax

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2010
Just received an email from Logitech that my Ultra Slim keyboard has shipped. Scheduled delivery is May 14th. I ordered it, directly from the Logitech website, on April 26th.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.