Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

redeye be

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 27, 2005
BXL
IMPORTANT The widget doesn't work at the moment, sorry. I'll try to fix it, one day ;) /IMPORTANT

Hello folders and interested people.

I was thinking about a widget to display your folding efforts, a few days after my first thought i stumbled on this thread. Apparently stubeeef had been thinking about this before i did.

Anyhow, here's the widget (current version 0.5b).
Please read this post through before reporting bugs :eek:.

The widget has been reported to work in Amnesty, a dashboard for 10.3.9 users (thx stubeeef for testing this)

the front:
front.png

the bigger front:
front_big.png

the back:
back.png

a small FAQ (lol frequently)

Set up:
If your Mac didn't do it for you, put FoldingTracker.wdgt in /Library/Widgets
On the backside of the widget fill in your 'numeral user id' I should find a better name for this one.

How do I find this 'numeral user id'?
You can find it very easily by clicking on the extremeoverclocking.com logo. On the right side of the page fill in your folding username. If you found your username, klick it. A page containing your folding efforts will load.
  • You can find your 'numeral user id' in the left column where you can choose to view your 'User Summary', 'User Overtake' and other pages. It is located between 'Team Users List' and 'User Summary'. It looks something like 'User: 123456789'. In this case 123456789 is the number you need.
  • Alternatively you can find it in the address bar of your browser. While viewing the same page as above you see something like:
    http://folding.extremeoverclocking....mary.php?s=&u=X
    The last X will be a number. This is the 'numeral user id' you need.

How up to date is this info?
The widget will search for new info every hour (for now). The data on extremeoverclocking.com is updated every 3 hours.
See the FAQ on extremeoverclocking.com for more info.
http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/?nav=FAQ

The data on extremeoverclocking.com is not the same as the data in the widget. How is this?
The widget updates every hour. The info on extremeoverclocking.com will probably have been updated after the last time your widget downloaded the updated stats. Try to force an update of the widget.

Can I force an update?
Hit Command - R after clicking the widget.
By clicking the 'done' button on the backside of the widget you will also force a reload of the data. This button does also reset the timer for the next update to one hour.
Remember the data on extremeoverclocking.com is only updated every 3 hours.

How much will this cost me?
The widget is freeware. I'm using it to teach myself some more css, javascript and xml parsing.
The biggest part of the job is done by ExtremeOverclocking. You can always send them some PayPal money for hosting the results and providing the xml file (you can mention the widget as a reason for contributing - good for your and my karma ;)).

bugs
Turning the widget on it's back when the front is at the smallest size will not show you the complete back (although everything you need is visible).

versions
  • 0.5b added in-team targets
  • 0.4b added the details, code still needs to be cleaned up - hey, it works ;)

future
  • I will look in to serious bugs anyone reports.
  • Restart coding it from scratch, with sense this time ;). And change the look
  • Make it easier to use (see point above).
  • Add possibility to target team.
  • Add user requests (like easier resizing) see point 3.

Stay tuned, let me know what you think.

Cheers

atszyman

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2003
The Dallas 'burbs
Great, now I can obsessively hit F12 every three hours to see how I'm doing rather than reloading the EOC site.

FYI, I've found you can have multiple instances running with different users in each. Now I can keep track of Dreadnought as well...:)

Thanks redeye_be, you've done a great job.

ham_man

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2005
Gonna set up this widget so that I can monitor the kitchen computers progress...

Dreadnought

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Almere, The Netherlands
atszyman said:
FYI, I've found you can have multiple instances running with different users in each. Now I can keep track of Dreadnought as well...:)

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR :mad: I'll get you!! BTW when are you planning on overtaking me, I have been waiting for three months or so...

atszyman

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2003
The Dallas 'burbs
Dreadnought said:
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR :mad: I'll get you!! BTW when are you planning on overtaking me, I have been waiting for three months or so...

End of June/early July. I've been lying low for the time being. Have to try to figure out who to taunt next. Maybe Rower_CPU? I should pass him sometime in 2009 at my current rate, which is due to fall since I have yet to complete a WU today.

Remember, set lofty goals so you always have a good excuse for failure.

Dreadnought

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Almere, The Netherlands
In that case, bring it on, I eat punks like you for breakfast! :D
Maybe this should be a new feature for the folding widget: to look when you will be overtaken by someone or when you overtake someone.

redeye be

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 27, 2005
BXL
Dreadnought said:
Maybe this should be a new feature for the folding widget: to look when you will be overtaken by someone or when you overtake someone.
No can do, sry.
I too thought this would have been a nice feature and asked EOC to maybe put that data in the xml file they provide.
They will not do it, as it takes away any necessity to go watch your stats on their page (they still do like traffic to the their pages). I understand. The best thing you can do is set yourself a goal to overtake -and maybe a threat - and start multiple instances of the widget showing their positions. :eek:

They did 'ok' some other changes which will be available through the widget when they implement it (well maybe a few days later). Nothing too fancy mind you, but still nice.

Not as popular as i hoped this widget :(. But my hopes were probably way to high up there :D.
Well...

Stay tuned!

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Thank you for your hard work redeye_be, its appreciated. ;) Maybe something like this will simulate and interest in folding.

I'm not using Tiger yet, so can't use it yet.

redeye be

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 27, 2005
BXL
Thx for the kind words guys/girls!

trainguy77 said:
Could you post some screen shots? I might need to get tiger now.... :rolleyes:
The first post now holds 2 screenshots from a previous beta, just very slightly different from the current one. I will update them when i get home.

And indeed, you will need tiger now :D

redeye be

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 27, 2005
BXL
Dreadnought said:
Actually, I should be able to do it, you would have to choose your targets yourself though. I will not be able to provide you with the closest threats and/or overtakes, but if you know who you want to track, it's not that hard to show/calculate.
I'll first clean up the code, add detailed stats, Then i'll redesign the layout and incorporate the threats/overtakes (this might take a while - busy period @ work).

Now if someone would post this widget in this thread i'd be a happy man. I would do it myself, in fact i almost did...
Come to think of it, asking is the same as posting it myself but... bah.. lol prrt <over and out> sry

;)

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
Thanks! Very cool widget. Now all I need is a folding farm, or at least a computer that will fold faster. My 1.33GHz PB (not running 24/7, more like 18/5) and 800MHz iMac aren't exactly tearing through the WU's.

atszyman

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2003
The Dallas 'burbs
redeye_be said:
Actually, I should be able to do it, you would have to choose your targets yourself though. I will not be able to provide you with the closest threats and/or overtakes, but if you know who you want to track, it's not that hard to show/calculate.
I'll first clean up the code, add detailed stats, Then i'll redesign the layout and incorporate the threats/overtakes (this might take a while - busy period @ work).

Now if someone would post this widget in this thread i'd be a happy man. I would do it myself, in fact i almost did...
Come to think of it, asking is the same as posting it myself but... bah.. lol prrt <over and out> sry

;)

Here, now don't go around saying I never do anything for you :D.

I was actually going to post that before I even read your request, but I figured for sure someone would beat me to it.

redeye be

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 27, 2005
BXL
atszyman said:
Here, now don't go around saying I never do anything for you :D.

I was actually going to post that before I even read your request, but I figured for sure someone would beat me to it.
Darned, shouldn't have asked.
But thx, You rock dude! :D

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2004
I think you deserve the stubeeef, semi weekly, "Darn Good Job Build'n Sumthin" award. You earned it! :D

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    2.6 KB · Views: 3,357

Macaholic G5

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2004
1 Infinite Loop
Excellent job my good man! Thanks for the Fidget (folding widget)! Now for all those Panther lackeys, you in fact CAN run widgets if you are at version 10.3.9. Check out Amnesty Widget Browser. You don't get the cool dashboard effect, but you can play with widgets. Fold if ya got 'em!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.