Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

surfer92

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 11, 2012
Hi all,

I just went to the AT&T store looking to upgrade to an iPhone from a basic phone. I was anticipating picking the 300mb plan but the guy at the store said that would definitely not be enough. I know its a small amount of data for an iPhone but I am on a wi-fi campus most of the year and have wi-fi at home. I don't think of myself as being a "data hog" either, when on the go.

What erks me is that when I said I was thinking of going for the smaller plan, the guy was just like, "No, you want the 3GB plan." He said how he would be on the internet for a few minutes and already used up 200mb. And how I would run be over my limit within a day or few days.

So, is 300mb data just down-right ridiculous for an iPhone? I read a lot on here and how a good number of people don't even come close to 2GB or even lower which gave me the idea that I could do the 300mb given my situation.

Thanks for any help and advice!

chiefpavvy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2008
It really varies quite a bit. For me, 300MB would definitely suffice, and if the price difference were much I'd take it. For some, 300MB may only last a few days. I would say take the 300MB package but keep a close eye on the usage and switch up if needed the next cycle.

wc17

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2012
Im not a huge data user by any means but I still use 400-500mb per month. I have a 500mb data plan...BUT, if I go over the 500 megs, the next 500 is only an extra $5.

You might want to ask what overages would cost you...

Mochi Hana

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
Texas
If you have wifi pretty much everywhere you are, (and judging from your post it appears you do) a 300 mb plan should suffice. You'll need to keep a close eye on your usage when wifi happens to not be available though.

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
Go th the smaller one and use it as you normally would. Don't worry about going over. A few days before the end of the billing period, check your usage. If under your limit, don't worry. If you're over, call AT&T and move up to the larger plan. They'll gladly change it and you won't have to pay any overages.

Bobby.e

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2012
Kansas
Get it and try it. You can always the up the plan the next month. If you get a warning you are close one month just disable the cellluar data until the end of the cycle.

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
What they need is a plan between 500MB-1GB for $10 or less. 300MB is a joke and just there to nickel and dime customers.

xAnthony

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2010
I currently have a 500 MB plan and for the three years I've had this plan, I've only hit 400 MB once and hit 300 MB maybe two or three times. I usually only use 200-250MB a month. I have wifi almost anywhere I go. I would say to take the 300MB plan and if you feel like its not enough, you can always upgrade the data plan after.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
Just for regular stuff like browsing, it's fine, but don't think you can stream any audio or youtube. You'll be over your limit in one afternoon. (I know).

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
If you are around wifi at both home and work and don't plan on streaming apps that run in the background like Pandora you will be fine.

The reason I say apps like Pandora is there are times your wifi will cut out and you don't realize you've stream pandora over 3G for hours ThAt can easily waste 100mb quickly.

nw9

macrumors regular
May 1, 2012
Thanks for any help and advice!
It does really depend on how you use your phone and what type of apps you are using. If you use many push notifications or other apps that use the internet in the background then you'll quickly use up 300mb. You can always turn off push notifications in most apps and you can turn off your cellular data access when you are not using it in the iPhone's settings.

You also have Wi-Fi most of the time so try the small data plan first. It's not hard to upgrade later.

What they need is a plan between 500MB-1GB for $10 or less. 300MB is a joke and just there to nickel and dime customers.
They should have an in between data plan. The jump between 300MB to 3GB is huge, but we all know why they do this. They want everyone to choose the larger plan by making the smaller plan very small.

sweetbrat

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2009
Redford, MI
Since you have access to wi-fi most of the time, chances are that the 300MB plan will be enough. There's no sense in getting the larger plan if you're not sure you'll need it. You'll get a message from AT&T once you use 65% or so of your plan. Then you can decide if you want to move up to a higher priced plan. The guy is crazy if he says you'd use 200MB in a few minutes. He's just trying to sell you a more expensive plan.

nw9

macrumors regular
May 1, 2012
Yes it will be not ok a 300 MB plan for iPhone because you can use a 300MB data with your iPhone in just 2 days so you should get 2GB or more data plan which is better for you and if you get high speed Internet so you don't have face any signal problems too.
It really depends on how a person uses their phone. I have the 200MB plan and I can make it last the whole month without going over. You have to pay attention to how you are using your data.

appleamg

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2011
300mb is definitely not enough - currently on a 1GB plan in Europe and use around 700-800mb every month - viber , push notifications - email etc + I don't consider myself a heavy data user . If I were you I would definitely go with the 3GB plan .

Rajani Isa

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2010
Rogue Valley, Oregon
Go th the smaller one and use it as you normally would. Don't worry about going over. A few days before the end of the billing period, check your usage. If under your limit, don't worry. If you're over, call AT&T and move up to the larger plan. They'll gladly change it and you won't have to pay any overages.

This

I check my email at least once an hour, and browse the web several times a day at work. I'm have ten days left on the bill plan and have used 237mb.

andyx3x

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2011
I'm with Verizon and I absolutely hate paying $30 a month for 2gb of data. The last time I got even close to using 2gb in a month was last October. Most months, I don't even hit 100mb.

CmdrThor

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2011
Atlanta, GA
My mother in law just switched to an iPhone and the salesperson at AT&T gave her the same warning about 300 MB definitely not being enough and she *needed* 3 GB. They only say this because they make more money off people who sign up for 3 GB and don't use it. She has Wifi at home and work and only uses her phone for calls, email, text, and playing games like Draw Something.

I switched her down to the 300 MB plan and 17 days into our 30 day billing cycle she has used 32 MB. The rest of the iPhones on the family plan have used 208, 434, 283, and 133 MB. The rest of us are all on either 4 GB tethering, unlimited, or 2 GB plans. Obviously it all depends on your usage, the best advice is to start at 300 MB and if you get the 65% or 90% usage notification early in your billing cycle, or even if you go over, just call and bump up to the 3 GB plan and backdate it to the beginning of the month. They will do this for no fee.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.