Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

augustya

Suspended
Feb 17, 2012
Pulled this site from the other thread but let's see if we can drill down to a specific batch of iPads by either week or factory that have a screen issue.

http://www.chipmunk.nl/klantenservice/applemodel.html/

The left edge of my screen (in portrait mode) is yellow compared to the right side of the screen. My info from the site above is as follows:

Name: iPad 3
Group1: iPad
Group2: WiFi-3G
Generation: 3
ModelCode:
Model introduced: 2012
Production year: 2012
Production week: 8 (February)
introduced test: GOED
Screen size: 9 inch
Screen resolution: 2048x1536 pixels
Colour: Black
Capacity: 64GB
Factory: DQ (China - Foxconn refurbished??)

@El3tronics and others on this thread !

When using the above link to find the week of production, it shows the week of production calculating from which day? March-7th (iPad-3 announcment day) or what ?

Googlyhead

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2010
May as well join in!
Perfect screen, but seem to be having issues with the home button. Would worry about getting a lesser screen if I returned it at the moment!
Code:
Group2: WiFi
Machine Model: iPad3,1
Production week: 2 (January)
CPU speed: 1.0GHz
Family name: Become a pro user to see this information. (sorry)
Colour: White
Factory: DL (China - Foxconn)

iko.

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2009
SYD
Here we go, all the iPads I have gone through...

All models new iPad 64GB 4G
Week 5 - Factory DL - Pinkish, slightly bicoloured keyboard in portrait mode
Week 7 - Factory DL - Very yellow
Week 7 - Factory DL - Yellow
Week 9 - Factory DL - Bicolour screen (yellow and pink)
Week 12 - Factory DL - Yellow and dirty (literally, the iPad itself)
Week 7 - Factory DL - Green with visible pink colouration in one corner
Week 15 - Factory DY - Very yellow

*Most of the changes were suggested by Apple employees. I don't have any known mental disorder or visual impairment. I kept the first one even knowing it's not perfect but at least the whites are colder than all the rest.

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
Looks perfect so far :)

Production week: 14 (April)
Colour: BLACK
Capacity: 32GB

Mine is the same as yours. No issues at all - except mine is black. Love my iPad :)

Factory: DM (China - Foxconn)

augustya

Suspended
Feb 17, 2012

One of my friend is on week-15 and Factory DY and his screen is as perfectly white and bright as it can get ! Snow white as they say... The only problem with his unit is it has a considerate Backlight Bleeding ! But certainly nothing yellow about it. :cool:

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
Here we go, all the iPads I have gone through...

All models new iPad 64GB 4G
Week 5 - Factory DL - Pinkish, slightly bicoloured keyboard in portrait mode
Week 7 - Factory DL - Very yellow
Week 7 - Factory DL - Yellow
Week 9 - Factory DL - Bicolour screen (yellow and pink)
Week 12 - Factory DL - Yellow and dirty (literally, the iPad itself)
Week 7 - Factory DL - Green with visible pink colouration in one corner

*Most of the changes were suggested by Apple employees. I don't have any known mental disorder or visual impairment. I kept the first one even knowing it's not perfect but at least the whites are colder than all the rest.

Ordinarily I'd say maybe the problem is you. But after two bad iPads of my own and the numerous reports on the Internet, this is clearly not an isolated issue.

danbalsh

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2003
Group2: WiFi-4G
Machine Model: iPad3,2
Production week: 14 (April)
Family name: A1430
Capacity: 16GB
Factory: DW (Please tell us where this machine is manufactured)

Perfect screen (from what I can tell)

Ipadfever

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2012
Flawless multi colored screen

Production week: 75
Colour: Black White Orange Blue Pink
Factory: BS ( Clown factory)

Last edited:

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
Production week: 9 (March)
Factory: DM (China - Foxconn)

Some slight backlight bleed on the left hand side of the screen detectable only when used in complete darkness with a black screen and max brightness but the white is pure and there is no yellowing.

Wooddd

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2012
Serial number: DLXH...
Model Number: MC076
Production week: 3 (January)
Factory: DL

And the screen is like:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/70ww4nbv2q4m96e/Photo 04-05-2012 19 33 59.jpg

dekoder

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2012
2nd one, very bad back light bleed. Going to change. I also notice it is yellowish.
---------------------
Model Number: MC076
Production week: 16 (April)
Factory: DY Please tell us where this machine is manufactured.
------------------------------

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Production week: 7 (February)
Factory: DL (China - Foxconn)

I have a slight overall yellow tint, only noticeable on mostly white backgrounds. Other than that, screen has no issues.

augustya

Suspended
Feb 17, 2012
is anybody on Week 17- DY ? would like to know how is the screen display on week 17-DY ?

Dlanod

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
UK
I have a DL week 6 and after 7 iPads all with varying issues including a DY week 14 this is pretty near perfect as far as I can see. No obvious dust and good even screen. Minor case imperfection but not a big deal.

The later week ones were actually worse than the early ones. The first one I had was week 6 DL but the screen was awful. Given the one I have is the same week and purchased only a few days ago I wonder if they do indeed cure in some way.

VFC

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2012
SE PA.
is anybody on Week 17- DY ? would like to know how is the screen display on week 17-DY ?

I just picked up an April week 17 DY yesterday. The Micro Center near Philadelphia has recently received a few models into inventory. When I contacted them, they agreed to go through their stock and sell me a DY prefix. When I got to the store, I spoke to the woman who works in returns and told her I'll be back if I find any issues. I even spoke with the store manager and he said there would be no issue returning the unit, for any or no reason, if I was not satisfied.

So far I have found no dead or stuck pixels, no hair or dust under the screen, no scratches on the back, no dark corners, anti-fingerprint coating is evenly applied, even colors, and the overall screen tint is closer to white. I have a full schedule today, so I won't have time to test out Wifi, heat, light bleed, or screen color under different lighting conditions.

So far, so good.

BTW - The Philadelphia (actually St. Davids, west of Philly) Micro Center (as of yesterday) has stock of all models and colors.

Last edited:

augustya

Suspended
Feb 17, 2012
I just picked up an April week 17 DY yesterday. The Micro Center near Philadelphia has recently received a few models into inventory. When I contacted them, they agreed to go through their stock and sell me a DY prefix. When I got to the store, I spoke to the woman who works in returns and told her I'll be back if I find any issues. I even spoke with the store manager and he said there would be no issue returning the unit, for any or no reason, if I was not satisfied.

So far I have found no dead or stuck pixels, no hair or dust under the screen, no scratches on the back, no dark corners, anti-fingerprint coating is evenly applied, even colors, and the overall screen tint is closer to white. I have a full schedule today, so I won't have time to test out Wifi, heat, light bleed, or screen color under different lighting conditions.

So far, so good.

BTW - The Philadelphia (actually St. Davids, west of Philly) Micro Center (as of yesterday) has stock of all models and colors.

Sounds good, 17DY looks like the lates batch. can you please report on issues like if here is any visible tint of any color Green, Pink or yellow and how is the screen bleeding ? My guess is, it should be there. There is some Bleeding in all the devices only thing to watch out is how severe is it ? DY Seems to be producing good screens is what I Feel !

r-sparks

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2006
England
This thread should just stop. Clearly there is no correlation to week builds and quality. If anything, I see even more randomness.

I don't think we should be looking at the manufacturing week. Instead we should be looking at factories, indicated by the first part of the serial (DM, DY, DL etc.)

It seems from responses here that DM serials seem to have universally good screens, although some report backlight bleed as being an issue. But I haven't yet found anybody reporting tinting on a DM serial model.

I look forward to being proved wrong...

jabbr

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2012
Exchanged DY for DM

I had a week 15 DY that had some pretty annoying tint on the upper left corner and pink on the bottom. I exchanged at an apple store for a week 18 DM which has much better uniformity, but still has a similar yellow/darkening issue in the lower left, just not as bad. I'm going to try this one out for a good week and see if it's too distracting. I pointed out the area to a "genius" and he admitted "yeah, it's a total crapshoot right now." I didn't wanna have them go get another brand new box for me so I decided to hold on to it and see if I find it acceptable for reading.

Apple really gave up on quality control here..

augustya

Suspended
Feb 17, 2012
I don't think we should be looking at the manufacturing week. Instead we should be looking at factories, indicated by the first part of the serial (DM, DY, DL etc.)

It seems from responses here that DM serials seem to have universally good screens, although some report backlight bleed as being an issue. But I haven't yet found anybody reporting tinting on a DM serial model.

I look forward to being proved wrong...

Looks pretty Mind Boggling to me !! I have myself seen DY screens, I find them in general good over any other. However the one I picked up which was also a DY had a minor very minor green tint at the bottom left corner. So I was a little unlucky but all the other DY Models that I saw on the display all had good screens wihout any tints and snow whites. Now this new information that DM is better than DY. Makes my head spin. Next time should I go with DY or DM ? However personally I have never seen a DM unit...so cant really comment on that.

rmeadejr

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2009
San Francisco-Twin Peaks
Looks pretty Mind Boggling to me !! I have myself seen DY screens, I find them in general good over any other. However the one I picked up which was also a DY had a minor very minor green tint at the bottom left corner. So I was a little unlucky but all the other DY Models that I saw on the display all had good screens wihout any tints and snow whites. Now this new information that DM is better than DY. Makes my head spin. Next time should I go with DY or DM ? However personally I have never seen a DM unit...so cant really comment on that.

I had a week 16 DM, 16gb with a great screen. Exchanged it today for a week 17, DY 32gb and this one also had a great screen.....

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC

You are fooling yourself if you think you can get a problem free iPad based on a couple of anecdotes about a specific serial number. You are also going to have a tricky time finding a specific serial number in a store, not to mention convincing the store to sell you a specific serial number. Apple stores certainly won't stop what they're doing to hunt for a DY/DM.

As someone who has spent an incredible amount of time analyzing the new iPad's screens, I think you are overthinking it. Just return the thing and wait 6 months.

----------

So far, so good.

Congrats on finally finding a decent one. If you're feeling brave, crank up the brightness and load this solid grey wallpaper. It will clearly show pink/green areas, if you have them.

solidgrey.png

rmeadejr

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2009
San Francisco-Twin Peaks
[/COLOR]

Congrats on finally finding a decent one. If you're feeling brave, crank up the brightness and load this solid grey wallpaper. It will clearly show pink/green areas, if you have them.

solidgrey.png
[/QUOTE]

Thank you for this....no pink/green areas for me.

augustya

Suspended
Feb 17, 2012
You are fooling yourself if you think you can get a problem free iPad based on a couple of anecdotes about a specific serial number. You are also going to have a tricky time finding a specific serial number in a store, not to mention convincing the store to sell you a specific serial number. Apple stores certainly won't stop what they're doing to hunt for a DY/DM.

As someone who has spent an incredible amount of time analyzing the new iPad's screens, I think you are overthinking it. Just return the thing and wait 6 months.

Well that is what even my plan of action now, I will atleast wait till August before I get a new device. I dont understand why are we playing a Lotto despite paying the full money !

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.