Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobenhaus

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2011
Maybe the chassis but the insides you can get from a pretty cheap desktop or laptop. That's why big corporations use pc's

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
Neither the Apple Store, nor anyone here is going to take your old PCs, therefore there will be now swapping taking place.

On the other hand anyone here will be very happy to deal a swap: if you buy a Mac and then you don't want it, you give me your iMac and I will give you a Windows PC. Great deal.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
I wouldn't. They're too overpriced for what you get. If you're sick of the crappy Windows experience, spend $1000 on a good PC. Any $1000 PC is going to be leaps and bounds better than a crap PC from 5 years ago.

Remember: If you're comparing Apple's to Orange's, don't try to compare a $1400 machine to a $300 machine.

lifeguard90

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2010
Chicago
I wouldn't. They're too overpriced for what you get. If you're sick of the crappy Windows experience, spend $1000 on a good PC. Any $1000 PC is going to be leaps and bounds better than a crap PC from 5 years ago.

Remember: If you're comparing Apple's to Orange's, don't try to compare a $1400 machine to a $300 machine.

if your going to spend $1000 might as well buy a Mac

Last time i checked this was an Apple site, "mac" rumors not a so so pro PC lounge

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
There's nothing to convince you of. If you want a better computer, buy a Mac. If you don't, live with Windows. It's that simple.

iCFX

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2012
Under your Desk
Who even uses Linux, let alone Ubuntu

Its windows vs osx.

Servers.

There's nothing to convince you of. If you want a better computer, buy a Mac. If you don't, live with Windows. It's that simple.

You can sugar coat it how ever you want, it all depends to what your requirements and preferences are.

Since OP does gaming on his consoles and Diablo and other Blizzard games are pretty much runnable on OSX (if you find game which isn't, simply boot Windows) the more logical choice is to get an iMac. You have nothing to loose.

Maybe the chassis but the insides you can get from a pretty cheap desktop or laptop. That's why big corporations use pc's

Indeed, the components of a iMac are not anymore special then what you can get on the market for your Windows Based machine (OEM PC if you wish). This is common misconception. Many think that the hardware of a Mac is more superior to OEM PCs which is sheer nonsense. Build quality as in the chasis, sure when you compare it to the junk from PC World or (US equivalent).

If you would install OSX (not possible unless hac....) on a OEM PC would the iMac still be "better"? I think not, infact there would not be any difference what so ever when same hardware is used (or as similar as possible). Infact you would have more room for upgrades and modding.

Last edited:

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Like you said, if the game you want doesn't run well on OS X, boot into Windows. So there's literally no reason to not use a Mac, even as a gamer.

nefan65

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2009
Mac os is just bsd with its guts ripped out with a pretty ui. Install Ubuntu and experience a real linux os

Why remove UNIX to use Linux? Makes no sense.

And it's "Guts" aren't ripped out. They modified the kernel a bit, and put on a UI.

Mister Bumbo

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2012
Yep, Apple does put excellent quality stuff in, and it matters, just take a thing as the noise from an iMac - there barely is any at all. It's not all about performance in the end.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.