Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pdxa4

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2008
Wirelessly posted

Really hope you enjoy, it's been a great case for me. If given the choice I still think I'd go Vapor Pro, but not for 3x the price. And the Formula 4 is more convenient with the easy-off bottom piece anyways.

Let me know what you think when it arrives!

Received it this evening, I'll fit it tmrw morning...

Gonz19

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2010
Vapor Custom

Just received my Vapor custom and wanted to share some pics. Have to say they did a great job with the presentation and boxing of the case.

Attachments

• Case 1.JPG
    Case 1.JPG
    206.5 KB · Views: 130
  • Case 2.JPG
    Case 2.JPG
    211.7 KB · Views: 131
  • Case 3.JPG
    Case 3.JPG
    210 KB · Views: 121
  • Case 4.JPG
    Case 4.JPG
    185.8 KB · Views: 139
  • Case 5.JPG
    Case 5.JPG
    169.3 KB · Views: 137

antster94

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2010
London, UK
Quick question, what is the difference between the Vapor Pro and Comp? I appreciate that the answer is in this thread somewhere, but it's quite long :p. Thanks a lot!

rjbeh

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2011
Malaysia
Quick question, what is the difference between the Vapor Pro and Comp? I appreciate that the answer is in this thread somewhere, but it's quite long :p. Thanks a lot!

well, if you want the answer in short i'll put it in point form comparisons?

comp
- cheaper starting at $99.99
- more plastic? due to the polycarbonate side cap.
- better grip (the rubber insert on the right)
- no access to sim slot

pro
dearer starting at 129.99
- more aluminum, the only polycarbonate part is the rf insert at the lower left of the case.
- slippery grip (for the previous versions), the chroma (discontinued) and the current new flux finishes are better grip IMHO.
*i personally own the white out VP and the royal purple then they are both good to grip. *
- access to sim slot

basically, IMHO, either one of them looks stunningly cool, but i would personally go for the vapor pro as i need to access my sim slot quite a frequent amount of times due to lots of traveling.
Hope this helps :D

Last edited:

rjbeh

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2011
Malaysia
Got my vapor custom that I won from the element case facebook design studio contest. Nothing much to say but one word. "AWESOMENESS" .

:D:D:D:D
Here are the pics

I did a slight modification by making making it look like the R8 pro, with difference of without the backings. Still looks good anyway.

Attachments

• IMG_2563.JPG
    IMG_2563.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 169
  • IMG_0300.JPG
    IMG_0300.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 163
  • IMG_0299.JPG
    IMG_0299.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 151
  • IMG_2980.JPG
    IMG_2980.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 184
  • IMG_2975.JPG
    IMG_2975.JPG
    123.7 KB · Views: 132

Gonz19

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2010
Finally able to post some pix.

Attachments

• Case1.JPG
    Case1.JPG
    213.6 KB · Views: 137
  • Case2.JPG
    Case2.JPG
    217.8 KB · Views: 168
  • Case3.JPG
    Case3.JPG
    241.4 KB · Views: 153

Tsunobi

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2010
Got my custom comp today. Does anybody experience a little wiggle on the plastic side? I have a Luckylab wrap around my phone as well.

djransom

macrumors 601
May 14, 2008
Chi-Town
Got my vapor custom that I won from the element case facebook design studio contest. Nothing much to say but one word. "AWESOMENESS" .

:D:D:D:D
Here are the pics

I did a slight modification by making making it look like the R8 pro, with difference of without the backings. Still looks good anyway.

Very nice!

samywamy10

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
Vapor by Element Case review

Hey guys,
recently I did a review on the Vapor by Element Case because I was looking for an aluminium bumper, and I don't recommend it.

While this case looks and feels good, it prohibits using most headphones and dock connectors, it attenuates the signal and it is hard to take off. I also doubt it would protect the iPhone very well.

If you have the Vapor, what do you think about it? If you don't have it, would you buy it?

Last edited:

rjbeh

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2011
Malaysia
Hey guys,
recently I did a review on the Vapor by Element Case because I was looking for an aluminium bumper, and I don't recommend it.

YouTube: video

While this case looks and feels good, it prohibits using most headphones and dock connectors, it attenuates the signal and it is hard to take off. I also doubt it would protect the iPhone very well.

If you have the Vapor, what do you think about it? If you don't have it, would you buy it?

this version of the vapor is like totally discontinued in the market. The current versions majority people are rocking now is either Vapor PRO or Vapor COMP, both have larger cutouts for the headphone jack and the 30pin dock connector. You should check them out. I personally have 3 of the pros and 1 of the COMP and I love each and every one of it. :D

subzer06o4

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2012
Design is somewhat flawed!

Don't get me wrong, the finish is superb and the overall design is nice. However, the designers left 1 major flaw with the edge "gaps" in-between the case and the iPhone. Yes, it's suppose to be designed blah, blah, blah to avoid signal loss, metal-touching the antenna, etc.

Anyways, returned my Vapor PRO Stealth just because of this reason alone. Not happy at all, maybe the next generation Vapor PRO they will finally get it right but not until they take customer complaints serious.

imho

jasnyc

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2012
my thoughts

Just got a legit Vapor Comp from Element Case, and here are my impressions:

- I got the Patriot blue frame with flux finish, it's a pretty nice color. There aren't enough photos out there to accurately illustrate what it's like. Older colors were brighter, the flux finish is darker and matte but also has some transparency so the aluminum shine come through, which is why the colors varies so much on the pics you see. The official site is almost accurate, perhaps a bit more saturated (again, it depends on lighting). So any pics you see out there of the new finish, expect the color to be a bit richer.

- The slack people complain about is there, but after tinkering around with it, I figured out that you have to place it in the right spot before tightening up the screws. The frame itself is not at fault, it's very precise, I think what happens is that most people quickly slide in the phone without making adjustments, and that's why seems loose. If you add the back plate first, you'll notice that it's becomes a bit thicker? Well, when you insert in the phone into the frame, the correct position is that the back (which is now a bit thicker) should be completely flushed to the frame instead of sticking out. In other words, the phone should be positioned so that it pushes to the front. If you do that and then you tighten up the screws, then the fit should be very good. If there are still any slack it's because of the plastic being flexible and not because the phone is dancing around in there. It should be very solid. Some people have mentioned that the thickness of the rubber affects it, I don't know if that's true, but I suppose you can try playing around and adding a thin slice of rubber/silicone in there.

- That said, what Element should have done was to design the back plate as a component that supports the phone instead of being a sticker.

- I think the Pro relieved this issue since it's a 3-piece instead of a 2 piece that doesn't have as much adjustment room.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.