Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Cult of Mac reports that it has received information from a "well-placed" source who claims to have seen a prototype of the rumored Apple television set. According to the source, the device resembles Apple's current Thunderbolt display but is "much larger" than the 27-inch model currently offered.

apple_television_mockup_cult_of_mac.jpg

Mockup of Apple television set based on Thunderbolt display design
Among the key features reportedly included on the prototype Apple television set is a Siri-enabled iSight camera allowing users to make FaceTime video calls using the device. Addressing the fact that users are likely to sit substantially farther away from the television than they do their computers and mobile devices, the source claims that the camera will be able to automatically detect and track faces, zooming in on them for FaceTime calls even if they move about the room.
The Apple HDTV makes FaceTime calls using the built-in iSight camera. The camera is sophisticated, with facial recognition and the ability to zoom into the user's face and follow them as they walk around the room. This allows users to make video calls from the couch across the room, rather than having to stand smack in front of the TV.

In addition, calls are initiated by Siri, the iPhone 4S's virtual assistant. "[Apple] used Siri to make a FaceTime call," the source said.
Apple's rumored television set is widely expected to make extensive use of Siri, a rumor that first surfaced in Jobs' authorized biography, in which he was quoted as saying that he had "finally cracked" the problem of creating an elegant interface for the device. With Jobs calling it "the simplest user interface you could imagine", speculation immediately leapt to Siri, which could allow users to change channels and find shows using only their voice.

The idea of a Siri-enabled television set quickly gained steam with a followup rumor from The New York Times claiming that Apple was indeed working on such a device for a launch in late 2012 or 2013.

Apple has reportedly been working with component suppliers on plans for Apple television sets in recent months, although debate continues as to whether such a product will be ready for launch by late this year, next year, or even 2014.

Article Link: Apple Television Set to Include Siri and Face-Tracking iSight for FaceTime Calls?

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Interesting rumor... it seems a bit early to tell but it would make sense to have Siri enabled as well as face time. Also at least a 40" display size, probably larger. The real question we're after is the price point. Also, who manufactures the display? A lot of households already own a modern HDTV, so Apple needs to bring amazing technology to the table to pick up on the existing market. But I wouldn't expect anything less really.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
2014 would be fine. Take your time, Apple and make this device perfect. I am excited.

JDee

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2008
Ireland
I don't know if Apple can expect consumers to pay a premium for a TV like this. Nowadays, you can get a (good brand) 40" TV for around £350 - and I don't think consumers would want to pay any higher than this.

slrandall

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2011
Can almost guarantee there won't be a silver apple on the front. All you'll be able to see is the display. Elegant, simple, and gorgeous.

byke

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2007
LDN. UK
I wonder how long after it released Samsung will offer something similar with the exact same features but with a rounder bezel claiming its completely different?

moebis

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
Slovakia
I already use my iPad 3 with my iBackFlip Somersault and Apple TV using airplay to do the same thing. Hands free too.

EDIT: For those who were asking what is a Somersault: http://ibackflip.com

Last edited:

fabian9

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2007
Bristol, UK
I really don't know about the idea of controlling the TV by using Siri. It just seems like a bit of a flawed idea as soon as there is more than one person in the room who may be talking at the same time.

More importantly, how would I make sure the power of controlling the programme being watched stays with me!?

jman240

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2009
While I love Apple and all, this seems like a market that isn't in as much of a need of an overhaul as the tablet/phone markets were.

That being said, I think this is a good benchmark to compare a currently fictional Apple TV to. http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/UN55ES8000FXZA-features

Then again, we've all been wrong in the past and Apple loves to wow us with things we didn't know we wanted in the first place. Just seems to me like they're going to be facing some very stiff competition in TVs beyond what they've seen in any recent ventures.

Last edited:

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
What's more interesting to me is how they will deal with interacting with video sources from other devices. I'm sure it'll have some sort of Apple TV system built in. But how can you control say your Satellite or Cable box with Siri. What about your Blu-Ray player. Even if Apple wants to try and ignore that people still subscribe to TV or watch DVDs or Blu-Rays, they have to be thinking of a way to 'control it all'. Or at least making it less complicated... even if only a select amount of devices / models can be controlled via HDMI it would be a start.

It may be impossible (or ugly if you have to use a bunch of IR leads and extenders) but that's what is most interesting about this TV set. How it will interact with your other non-Apple devices. Jobs was famous on saying how nobody will beat the cable company since they offer you a box for free with the service. If their HDTV is Apple's 'box' (and let's say maybe their Apple TV as well) then they have a way into the living room. But more importantly they have a way to be the 1st thing you see when you turn on your TV.

Very fun to think about... :)

supremedesigner

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2005
I don't know if Apple can expect consumers to pay a premium for a TV like this. Nowadays, you can get a (good brand) 40" TV for around £350 - and I don't think consumers would want to pay any higher than this.

I don't know about you but I do remembered that most companies are pricing their `so-called tablet` at 1k or more before iPad was even announced at $499! Who knows if they'll do the same thing for TV ;)

My prediction:
It might be priced at $199 (yes, $199, not $1999, mind you) for 50" if you signed up for premium cable tv. Similar to ATT/Verizon for 2 years contract.

Supermacguy

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2008
If it's using Siri, Siri had better have **SOME** baked-in functionality, none of this internet-required BS. The last thing I want from a TV is "Sorry I can't take requests right now" when all I want is to turn the channel!

Konrad9

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2012

That and you can't walk around with it to show people how hip and rich you are. Apple makes great products, I just picked up a Mini and it's fantabulous, but 90% of the Apple market these days are people who buy them because it's the cool thing to own. Remember the RAZR? Same thing.

If you can't show the rest of the people on the subway that you own an expensive Mac, what's the point?

Edit:
Love getting voted down for speaking the truth.

Last edited:

ivladster

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
Washington DC
I doubt it's going to be made out of aluminum, that's going to be too heavy. It has to be ultra thin and light like modern LED tvs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.