Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Giuly

macrumors 68040
With Jobs calling it "the simplest user interface you could imagine", speculation immediately leapt to Siri, which could allow users to change channels and find shows using only their voice.
I tend to disagree.
The idea of a Siri-enabled television set quickly gained steam with a followup rumor from The New York Times claiming that Apple was indeed working on such a device for a launch in late 2012 or 2013.
That says nothing. :rolleyes:

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
I don't know if Apple can expect consumers to pay a premium for a TV like this. Nowadays, you can get a (good brand) 40" TV for around £350 - and I don't think consumers would want to pay any higher than this.

I agree that price will make it tough for Apple, unless they can blow the competition away with screen quality. Which I see as unlikely, becuase I doubt they will be manufacturing the screens themselves. Good luck though!

tatonka

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2009
I still can't imagine any of those TV rumors being true .. but I learned to keep my mouth shut until after the announcements. I just hope that it is a product for the world, not a US only thing (like a lot of the Apple TV extras today are, i.e. Hulu, Netflix and so on).

T.

Tones2

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
While I love Apple and all, this seems like a market that isn't in as much of a need of an overhaul as the tablet/phone markets were.

That being said, I think this is a good benchmark to compare a currently fictional Apple TV to. http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/tv-audio-video/television/led-tv/UE55ES8000UXXU

Then again, we've all been wrong in the past and Apple loves to wow us with things we didn't know we wanted in the first place. Just seems to me like they're going to be facing some very stiff competition in TVs beyond what they've seen in any recent ventures.

Yes, I can't imagine Apple having a better quality TV itself than Samsung or LG, unless it's of course built by them, and even then it would probably be somewhat behind Samsung's / LG's current offerings. And the quality of the TV is the most important thing. As as you can see, Samsung already has all the face recognition / gestures / voice control built in, and LG is coming soon. Lastly, both are planning to have a highly revised Google TV built in which is much better than the current Apple TV "box" offering, the latter of which is basically comparable to the built in apps og most TV's over the last 3 years.

So the Apple TV news here is anything but revolutionary.

GREEN4U

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2010
The thing I (and most consumers) like about TVs is that most of the time they're simple. You don't have to be bombarded with updates. It doesn't have to be connected to the internet. You set it up once and you're done for the next 20 years. That's why Samsungs, Panasonics, and Sonys work just fine.

Apple doesn't have a market here. It's not like a cell phone, tablet, or computer. The user/machine interface for a TV is kept a minimum versus those other products. On a TV you turn it on, and change the channel or input. Can Apple really improve the experience of changing the channel? I doubt it.

Arcus

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2004
of my hand will get me slapped.
I don't know if Apple can expect consumers to pay a premium for a TV like this. Nowadays, you can get a (good brand) 40" TV for around £350 - and I don't think consumers would want to pay any higher than this.

I think I remember a similar comment about an obscure product called....what was it now....iPhone I think. Some such device...

----------

Siri enabled? Pass...

Siri Enabled.....SOLD!

Tones2

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
Multi Touch remote. End of story. Place my bet now! :apple:

I doubt that this is going to be done but it's actually a great idea. It's be way cool to adjust TV screen size, or picture in picture, or TV menu content, or built in internet browser scrolling or zooming. Go ahead and put a patent claim on that. :)

Celf

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2008
I wonder how long after it released Samsung will offer something similar with the exact same features but with a rounder bezel claiming its completely different?

Well I guess you haven't seen the latest Samsung TV sets. They almost don't have a bezel anymore and only about 1.2 inch deep. I hope this is not the real Apple TV design, it would be very 2009...

ramuman

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2005
I doubt it's going to be made out of aluminum, that's going to be too heavy. It has to be ultra thin and light like modern LED tvs.

Yeah, Aluminum is known to be a heavy and weak material. It would certainly never be used in situations where weight and strength were considerations.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
call me old fashioned but i dont wanna talk to my tv, its the only time of the day where i can just shut up and sit down. its already bothering me on my xbox kinect, it was cool at first but got annoying after a while

I think I remember a similar comment about an obscure product called....what was it now....iPhone I think. Some such device...

----------

the difference being that not everyone buys a new tv every few years unlike a phone ;)

Hardtimes

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2011
I already use my iPad 3 with my iBackFlip Somersault and Apple TV using airplay to do the same thing. Hands free too.

EDIT: For those who were asking what is a Somersault: http://ibackflip.com

That has to be the most douchey thing i have ever seen.

If I saw someone using one of those I think I would just shrink up into a ball on the floor and close my eyes until they were gone out of embarrassment for mankind.

Mattie Num Nums

macrumors 68030
Mar 5, 2009
USA
I wonder how long after it released Samsung will offer something similar with the exact same features but with a rounder bezel claiming its completely different?

Considering it will probably be an Apple branded Samsung TV anyways...

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
I really don't know about the idea of controlling the TV by using Siri. It just seems like a bit of a flawed idea as soon as there is more than one person in the room who may be talking at the same time.

More importantly, how would I make sure the power of controlling the programme being watched stays with me!?
This is easy. You have to "call" it. If there's only one person in the room, there's no need to call the TV. As soon as the second person walks into the room, the proper protocol is to call it. Once the TV is called, only that person's voice will be able to control the TV. Once that person leaves, the remaining people in the room will need to call the TV to obtain control.

It's easy. This is how it worked in the 80's and this is how it'll work in the 10's.

ft

osx11

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2011
But how can you control say your Satellite or Cable box with Siri. What about your Blu-Ray player. Even if Apple wants to try and ignore that people still subscribe to TV or watch DVDs or Blu-Rays, they have to be thinking of a way to 'control it all'. Or at least making it less complicated... even if only a select amount of devices / models can be controlled via HDMI it would be a start.

You won't need a cable box/blue-ray player.

I think the real revolution will come in terms of content.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
I doubt it's going to be made out of aluminum, that's going to be too heavy. It has to be ultra thin and light like modern LED tvs.

Weight is definitely more important with a television than it would be with computers, as it allows for easier wall mounting.

Anyway I think these rumors are reading way too far into very little information.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
More importantly, how would I make sure the power of controlling the programme being watched stays with me!?

This is such a fabricated problem. Before remotes and of course still today, anybody can go up to the TV to change the channel. It's called common courtesy.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
I am still more interested in knowing it the TV will be edge lit LED or Full Array LED. Though I would rather it be either Plasma or OLED for PQ.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.