Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 14, 2008
The revised iPad 2 (2,4) has tighter PPI than my MacBook, so I'm okay with that. I'm really enticed by the battery and charging speed compared to the 3.

Any way I can guarantee getting a 2,4?

blow45

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2011
keep buying, opening up and returning within your allowed time frame for returns if it's not the 2,4. :) If apple think it's not important to buyers to have a more efficient cpu (and better battery times) shown on the packaging as everyone else is doing they might as well have their hands full with returns and restocking. I don't think I 've heard any other manufacturer putting a more efficient cpu in and not clearly noting this so they can be able to ship old stock too.

mzjin

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2011
The revised iPad 2 (2,4) has tighter PPI than my MacBook, so I'm okay with that. I'm really enticed by the battery and charging speed compared to the 3.

Any way I can guarantee getting a 2,4?

Yes, there is. Wait 6 months until the old stock dries out.

blow45

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2011
If you had the serial #, you could look it up here:
http://www.chipmunk.nl/klantenservice/applemodel.html

I'm not sure when Apple started producing iPad 2 with the new chip, but if you could find out that info, then you could just make sure to buy a unit manufactured after that date. Faster than opening up boxes then returning.

cool site, thanks, you sure it works for all new ipad serials? If word ever gets out for this and becomes well known apple isn't moving any of the old ipad stock. More power to the people to get a better device that won't be as compromised as the ipad 1 arguably currently is on ios 5.0 (and will definitely be with ios 6.0), in two years with ios 8.0.

Let's make it a sticky!:p

----------

as it's been said, order from apple's site

Why would ordering from apple get you a 2,4? I haven't heard of any website that claims that apple will only ship ipad 2,4's from their website...

TheWheelMan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
cool site, thanks, you sure it works for all new ipad serials? If word ever gets out for this and becomes well known apple isn't moving any of the old ipad stock. More power to the people to get a better device that won't be as compromised as the ipad 1 arguably currently is on ios 5.0 (and will definitely be with ios 6.0), in two years with ios 8.0...

I doubt that the iPad 1 would get iOS 8.0.

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
According to AnandTech there is no way to tell which one you get.

Not all new iPad 2's even come with the 32 nm SoC, most are still based on the 45 nm one.

dnguyen

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2008
Yes for some people no for others. Judging by this thread/MR, probably a yes for most people that go on this site.

As for people that don't know, yea they probably will be a bit peeved that they're getting 2hrs less than the newer version if they recently purchased an ipad 2 without knowing about the changes.

dnguyen

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2008
Anybody, what's it supposed to read if 2,4?

IDK the site pulls my unopened box serial number as Machine Model 2,1 with week 16 April production 2012 year. It's also worth noting that the serial number from here:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5789/the-ipad-24-review-32nm-a5-tested

is listed as 2,1 as well with a week 13 April production and 2012 year. I comfirmed with Anand that the serial listed in his picture was indeed from an ipad 2 version 2,4.

Can people with the newer 2,4 ipad 2 versions check to see what it says when they enter their serial into the site? The Machine model information that the site lists seems to be inaccurate but if we can see if the production date is accurate/find out when they started producing the newer 2,4 versions.

Last edited:

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
IDK the site pulls my unopened box serial number as Machine Model 2,1 with week 16 April production 2012 year. It's also worth noting that the serial number from here:

is listed as 2,1 as well with a week 13 April production and 2012 year. I comfirmed with Anand that the serial listed in his picture was indeed from an ipad 2 version 2,4.

Can people with the newer 2,4 ipad 2 versions check to see what it says when they enter their serial into the site? The Machine model information that the site lists seems to be inaccurate but if we can see if the production date is accurate/find out when they started producing the newer 2,4 versions.

Yea I'm not getting this whole thing, I've looked up my serial but what differentiates the two?

dnguyen

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2008
Yea I'm not getting this whole thing, I've looked up my serial but what differentiates the two?

From what I've gathered the only useful information that it pulls up is maybe the Production week/year as far as telling if it is 2,1 or 2,4. However, even that doesn't seem to be a good indicator as we don't know when Apple started producing the newer models and we don't know if they're still making the older 2,1 versions too.

If you read the page 7 comments from here:

a poster states that he got a march 2012 production ipad 2 that was 2,4 as well as a april 2012 production ipad 2 that was version 2,1.

A good thing is that that same poster, Xerazal says that you can tell by the part #, "Part numbers are different. at least for black it is. Part number for old ipad is MC769LL/A while new is MC954LL/A. too bad i already exchanged my 32nm ipad out and got the 45nm model as a replacement because of light bleeding on the screen.. T~T"

I DON'T KNOW if the above is accurate, I am just re posting what he said in the Anandtech article comments.

Last edited:

blow45

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2011
I doubt that the iPad 1 would get iOS 8.0.

Read what I said again, it's not the clearest of syntax granted, but there's only one way it can be read: the ipad two will get ios 8.0 not the ipad 1 . Don't downrate irrelevant posts of mine please before you reply just cause you bear a grudge on the ipad being warm thing.

----------

Will the extra 2 hour battery be worth the time wasted trying to get it? :)

it's not just the two hours, a die shrink makes your device more future proof in general, there's other optimizations and debugging in the core as well.

All that of course provided that the first batch of the cores don't turn out to be lemons.

dnguyen

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2008
People with confirmed ipad 2 2,4:

Can you tell us your ipad part number?

I'm trying to see if this statement is correct:

MC769LL/A =old 2,1 and MC954LL/A = new 2,4

Last edited:

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
People with confirmed ipad 2 2,4:

Can you tell us your ipad part number?

I'm trying to see if this statement is correct:

MC769LL/A =old 2,1 and MC954LL/A = new 2,4

I'm not getting though what if the model starts with like mine: DLXH

Were talking about serial numbers right or is it something else? Not sure I see a "part number" on the chipmunk site.

dnguyen

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2008
I'm not getting though what if the model starts with like mine: DLXH

Were talking about serial numbers right or is it something else? Not sure I see a "part number" on the chipmunk site.

Part # should be listed on the box, near the serial number.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.