Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Baklava

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2010
Germany
I'm just nervous that the trials are somehow different and will have issues.....but that just me I guess ;)
Trials from Adobe normally never differ from full versions. If the Adobe community is right, logging in with the Adobe ID after Friday should license the trials.

did you get the discount pricing for the first year? Since you are a current 5.5 owner?

I am lucky to be a student. :) I ordered the CC-subscription on the Education Store for under €30 a month. Last week I had to send Adobe a proof of my qualifying status. They approved it. Last step is to wait for Friday, when they debit my credit card. :)

As a student, you unfortunately can't upgrade to a new release. But if you're a CS3+ user, you should get the discount without any problems after logging in with your ID while ordering.

UPDATE: From the Adobe Forums: "If you have pre-ordered a membership or subscription, and want to start using Creative Suite 6 today, you can download any CS6 product as a fully-functional 30-day trial. Starting May 11, once your Creative Cloud membership or CS6 subscription is active, you can easily enable ongoing access to the CS6 products you already installed, without having to reinstall."

Last edited:

dbit

macrumors regular
May 2, 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mac Maniac View Post
It's time for adobe to reduce their prices and get their stuff in the Mac App Store.

Why should they deal with Apple's fees? They sell quite a lot directly. They sell on places like Amazon too, but the concern is most likely that it'll end in a net loss in profits or control if they let Apple dictate the terms of sale. Anyway for everyone who wishes it was cheaper, their costs would most likely be lowest with payments processed through Adobe and downloaded there, seeing as Adobe will be hosting these files anyway.

I am glad large universal software companies like Adobe are keeping their purchases out of the Mac App store. We need big players like them to remain on the outside so Apple doesn't assume it can close the ecosystem even more. Apple are starting to act totalitarian and separatist, getting to be almost as bad as microsoft in the heyday. I want key players to resist. I'm very unsure about wanting to kowtow to Apple for the rest of my computing career.

Baklava

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2010
Germany
I am glad large universal software companies like Adobe are keeping their purchases out of the Mac App store. We need big players like them to remain on the outside so Apple doesn't assume it can close the ecosystem even more. Apple are starting to act totalitarian and separatist, getting to be almost as bad as microsoft in the heyday.
I love Apple but I totally agree with that. And let's not forget that Apple doesn't care about Pro customers anymore. Look what they did with FCP X. Mac Pro is before its death. 17" will be maybe discontinued. And just iToys everywhere. What else??

projectle

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2005
Does anyone know if Adobe actually took time to implement some of the new features in Lion such as full screen apps or Versions?

Typically, those who utilize Adobe's Creative Suite utilize multiple monitors.
Apple's current Full Screen implementation does not work effectively with multiple monitors.

Additionally, Adobe's applications are dependent upon a menu bar to function effectively, as many of the tools contained within Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, Premiere, AfterEffects (and I would presume others as well) are not present purely as a dedicated option within the GUI.

Adobe has also shown to be very considerate about not alienating their user base by changing how to use a product from release to release. Any Photoshop user can pick up any version of Photoshop and do *at least* what they were able to do in the previous versions with no learning curve, with some new possibly better stuff available should they want to learn.

Versions... Yes, that one would be nice, however considering that Versions operates based on CoreData the improvements that you would expect from Versions would not apply (namely, the reduced data storage sizes by containing deltas and injection points) and as an aside all you would have would be Time Machine... something that you already have. That is not to say that Adobe couldn't design their own Versions-like approach and the necessary plugins for CoreData to enable them to operate in much the same way as you would expect from non-project based document types, but that one is quite an undertaking while subsequently limiting yourself to *just* the Mac side of the equation.

For products that share the same code base and simply have a compiler directive to include OS Specific code, the idea of significantly forking the Windows and Mac versions with major additional development that would need to be undertaken within all levels of every tool of every application does not appeal to me as a user, as it means that we would be looking at *longer* release dates or non-concurrent release dates or *more expensive* software or *lower quality* software for every version in the future post-fork.

If Apple had a more complete implementation for their Versions system (such as a filesystem based versioning approach, like NTFS' Volume Shadow Copy, BTRFS' Block Level Versioning or ZFS' Block Level Versioning) rather than relying on solely data accessed and saved via CoreData, than the ability to add Versions support to *any* application would be a possibility. As is, many non-text applications require significant refactoring, assuming that such refactoring is even a possibility considering the type of input and output data.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mac Maniac View Post
It's time for adobe to reduce their prices and get their stuff in the Mac App Store.

I am glad large universal software companies like Adobe are keeping their purchases out of the Mac App store. We need big players like them to remain on the outside so Apple doesn't assume it can close the ecosystem even more. Apple are starting to act totalitarian and separatist, getting to be almost as bad as microsoft in the heyday. I want key players to resist. I'm very unsure about wanting to kowtow to Apple for the rest of my computing career.

You seem to get my point. Allowing Apple's fee structure to become the norm won't necessarily bring down prices as it locks in extra costs. With their subscription model, I think they intentionally priced it a little high initially. If they feel that's holding back adoption rates, you may see it come down somewhat later. It's easier to set it a little high, then bring it down slightly later if necessary. I still need to check out the new Photoshop. What has annoyed me with applications like that is the lack of continued improvement at times on some of the basic tools. Their brush engine was pretty archaic. I rarely ever used things like pressure controlled size because it was ridiculous getting it to work properly. It worked a little better for opacity, but I wish to check out the brush settings with CS6 to see if they've improved.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
Cloud service will be really great for all those .psd's... at hundreds of mess a pop.

Another cloud? Every app developer needs its own cloud service? Annoying.

salmoally

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2012
Yeah, prices aren't negotiable. If you don't wanna pay, then you don't get to use the software. I'm no big fan of Adobe, but stealing software that hundreds - if not thousands - of developers worked on for months is illegal and should be frowned upon by everyone.

Don't be a criminal. Support software you like. Or, do this:

Actually I'm using the software just fine. What I'm not doing is paying almost double for not being in the US.

I actually was prepared to buy on day one if they came to their senses about ripping europeans off. Looks like they won't get a penny till they sort it out.

Kwill

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2003
It appears the only discount for prior commercial Adobe Suite users is from the first year of Creative Cloud. The fact that the initial outlay of cash for the entire Master Suite will be just $29.99, repeated monthly for the first year is enticing.

Flitzy

Oct 20, 2010
Pixelmator does everything Photoshop does any more for more than half of the price of Photoshop.

Sorry Adobe... take your bloatware and go away.

Last edited:

Erwin-Br

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2008
The Netherlands
Yeah, prices aren't negotiable. If you don't wanna pay, then you don't get to use the software. I'm no big fan of Adobe, but stealing software that hundreds - if not thousands - of developers worked on for months is illegal and should be frowned upon by everyone.

If you're making a living off of Photoshop, then I agree. (The price is also targetted at professionals - no excuses).

If you're a hobbyist I don't blame you. Adobe hasn't lost a sale, it didn't create the product for you, so I see nothing wrong with it.

Of course there is copyright law, but my world is not so black and white. I don't think Adobe really cares about it either. The young hobbyists pirating their software today could be licensing the Creative Suite tomorrow, when they have gone professional.

TimothyB

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2008
Bay Area
Pixelmator does everything Photoshop does any more for more than half of the price of Photo$hop.

Sorry Adobe... take your bloatware and go away.

I haven't looked into Pixelmator, but I have heard of it as one of the alternatives to Photoshop. There was just one big caveat mentioned I believe, no CMYK? If that is true, then for many professionals, you'd be forced to switch back to Photoshop.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Can't wait for someone come in and take all the business away from Adobe. Please anyone.

Adobe's improvements are small, the updated prices are stupid high. Time from us to stop using their upgrades.

If Pixelmator was built for professionals and had ALL the features of Photoshop... it wouldn't be $30 anymore. Just remember that.

But be glad Pixelmator exists... or Photoshop Elements... or even GIMP. Those are good solutions for some people... but not for others.

Side note: After reading some of the comments in this thread... where did people get this sense of entitlement?

Photoshop has been $700 for a decade or more. Pay up or shut up! :D

There are plenty of choices:

$700 - Adobe Photoshop CS6
$100 - Adobe Photoshop Elements
$30 - Pixelmator
Free - GIMP

Choose one and be happy.

unibility

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2012
Educational pricing for CS6 Design Premium is $429 and Master Collection I think is a few hundred more. But well below the $2599 for retail. Also you can use the education version for commercial usage and even upgrade to full up to 3 versions moving forward. Can't beat it!

slrandall

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2011
Actually I'm using the software just fine. What I'm not doing is paying almost double for not being in the US.

I actually was prepared to buy on day one if they came to their senses about ripping europeans off. Looks like they won't get a penny till they sort it out.

What you're doing is illegal. If you can't afford it, then you shouldn't be using it. I don't know where you get this sense of entitlement.

klaxamazoo

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2006
Just upgraded from CS3. Wow, Indesign is a lot more responsive. Definitely worth the upgrade for me at least.

mactmaster

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2010
Adobe prices seem quite high anyway, but the UK prices are stupidly high. I'll be sticking with Illustrator CS4. Not that I expect there will be much different in Illustrator CS6.

Actually Illustrator CS 6 is an all Cocoa app, and fully 64bit now rendering with the Mercury graphics engine. This will help a lot for those like me who have been used to Illustrator crashes when working on highly complex graphics. Also It has an all new interface with small enhancements like in-panel edits and keyboard cycling through fonts. It's actually been updated quite heavily.

Yield85

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2011
I really do not understand this pricing.

The full suite costs $1745 more in Australia. It might actually work out cheaper for me to fly to the states and buy it there. But how does this work? The Australian dollar is higher than the American.

I am so glad the government is going to bring these companies to account.

dfelix

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2011
I'm trying to preorder the Creative Cloud, but apparently it's only for US, Canada & Mexico. Us rest-of-the-world people will simply have to do what, then?

I live in the Caribbean, and my country is not even on the Adobe store. How am I supposed to buy this exactly? Can I pat on that store with a non-US issued Credit Card using an American billing address?

Last edited:

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
It appears the only discount for prior commercial Adobe Suite users is from the first year of Creative Cloud. The fact that the initial outlay of cash for the entire Master Suite will be just $29.99, repeated monthly for the first year is enticing.

Its very enticing. Consider $30 a month x 24 months (two years is the usual upgrade pace between major CS versions) = $720. Then, you get the next version, CS7, and you continue the subscription (hopefully at the same $30 rate).

Considering the retail cost of CS6 to own outright is $2600, you have only paid $720 over two years to own all of Adobe's apps, 75 percent off. And CS6 users who normally would get CS7 as an upgrade for half price, $1300, if they bought it outright, well Cloud customers are only paying $720 again, 50 percent off - still a great deal.

And people can mock Adobe all they want - these aren't crap software titles, these are top notch applications. Its a tremendous deal and should help take a small chunk out of piracy.

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
Its very enticing. Consider $30 a month x 24 months (two years is the usual upgrade pace between major CS versions) = $720. Then, you get the next version, CS7, and you continue the subscription (hopefully at the same $30 rate).

Considering the retail cost of CS6 to own outright is $2600, you have only paid $720 over two years to own all of Adobe's apps, 75 percent off. And CS6 users who normally would get CS7 as an upgrade for half price, $1300, if they bought it outright, well Cloud customers are only paying $720 again, 50 percent off - still a great deal.

And people can mock Adobe all they want - these aren't crap software titles, these are top notch applications. Its a tremendous deal and should help take a small chunk out of piracy.

I agree....although the $30/month is only the first year. But still....at the full price of $50/month ($600 per year) to get EVERYTHING.....is a pretty nice deal.

I know going from CS5 to CS5.5 (which I didn't do was I think $600). When I went from CS4 to CS5 that was $799...and that wasn't for the Master Collection....only the Web/Design Premium.

Let's face it....if you make your living from Adobe software....the cloud is a nice deal. To recoup the $600 yearly investment can be done even after a few jobs.

-Kevin

infomatique

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2006
Yes I have downloaded the trials

The suite is installing at present. It took about three hours to download and I have a fast connection

So has anyone who subscribed to Creative Cloud....downloaded the trials? Or are you waiting until Friday?

-Kevin

----------

I live in Ireland and was able to pre-order.

I'm trying to preorder the Creative Cloud, but apparently it's only for US, Canada & Mexico. Us rest-of-the-world people will simply have to do what, then?

I live in the Caribbean, and my country is not even on the Adobe store. How am I supposed to buy this exactly? Can I pat on that store with a non-US issued Credit Card using an American billing address?

dbit

macrumors regular
May 2, 2006
Actually Illustrator CS 6 is an all Cocoa app, and fully 64bit now rendering with the Mercury graphics engine. This will help a lot for those like me who have been used to Illustrator crashes when working on highly complex graphics. Also It has an all new interface with small enhancements like in-panel edits and keyboard cycling through fonts. It's actually been updated quite heavily.

Font cycling, thank god. It was ridiculous to have to boot into photoshop to scan fonts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.