Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kenaudio

macrumors member
Original poster
May 6, 2012
Europe
Hi there,

I hope my thread is correct in this forum.
I am about to buy Aperture 3 but I heard it through the grape-apple-wine that there might be version 4 coming really soon.
What do you think about this rumor?

Hot
Weak
Either
?

Thanks in advance and cheers from sunny evening Hamburg!!
KA

Last edited:

jetjaguar

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2009
somewhere
I've been considering buying aperture 3 now for awhile but I figured I would hold out until apple updates it. I am still considering though going to Lightroom 4 since I might be making the switch to CS6 for editing.

toften

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2012
Just buy it in the AppStore, then an upgrade to 4 (whenever it comes) will be free.

Vantage Point

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2010
New Jersey
I'd like to ask the same...:)...
Are you sure about it and where do you know that from?

Cheers,
KA

I'm sure it's not true. Expect the update price to be around $79, i.e., no discount for future versions. An exception would be if A4 is released with 2-4 weeks of purchase.

Strictly speaking A4 is well overdue, assuming that updates should be expected within 2 years of each version. Apple is secretive, perhaps too secretive so we don't know what the future is for this product since apple's focus is on consumer stuff, no the Pro market. If you have been waiting for a MacPro update after two years then you know the frustration - which wouldn't be too bad if the prices dropped as their costs go down ($2,500 for a base MP with only 3gb of ram, and $375 to upgrade that ram to 8gb which costs about $50 everywhere else).

Anyway, the lack of information, not so much when but to some degree, if, there is an upgrade is forcing some of use to move over or seriously consider Lightroom 4 for only $149 (of $99 if purchased with CS6 upgrade). Adobe will upgrade their products like clockwork.

I am a A3 user and tired of not knowing if apple will support or try to be competitive. As such I will likely move over to LR4 in the near future. I'm tired of not knowing if there will be a next update. Of course their is a learning curve but there is also comfort in knowing that the product tries to stay on the cutting edge and the company is dedicated to photographers at all levels.

Medic278

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2012
New York
I would buy Aperture 3, I bought it and its an excellent product. It is nice and user friendly and almost anyone can figure out how to use it. You won't be disappointed if you decide to pull the trigger on this one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.