Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
I love all of this back and forth bantering from both sides because it's so IRRELEVANT.

Pod2g is going to do what he wants to do. If anyone of think think some meaningless blog "poll" is going to influence him one way or another then I have a concept 'iPhone 5' that I'm willing to sell you.

Yes the final decision is his but the poll wasn't meaningless. If it was then why would he bother putting it up :p

Hyper-X

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2011
Selling a tool used for cyber warfare i.e. iPhone "exploits" to North Korea would most definitely be regarded as treason by the United States. It makes no difference that Apple owns iOS. Most hackers selling vulnerabilities to governments are smart enough to know that you don't sell said vulnerabilities to governments that are not friendly to your own.

I really don't need anyone to define what treason means. In fact the example using North Korea is quite out there, it's like someone using the example of a giant meteor falling on their heads justifying why nobody should ever walk outside.

I'll use a better example more likely a more realistic one. How's about competing companies within the US? How much would other software companies be willing to pay... this is what I meant by what these "black hatters" may want.

It would be treason beccause you'd be selling information that would allow a foreign power (which is considered an enemy state) to spy on Americans. iOS devices are also being deployed in various US government departments - granted they probably wouldn't trust top-secret information to an iPhone or iPad; but if someone can intercept network traffic through a compromised iPhone, that can still yield valuable information.

Again why you chose to define what treason means after the previous poster did... smh.

First of all iOS devices are NOT being "deployed" in government departments, iOS devices are not authorized for official US government business, only BB devices on the RIM network are allowed for official business use. iOS devices may be used for personal use and non-FOUO business only. I won't go into how each classificiation level of information since you obviously don't understand the basics of how FOUO, Secret or TS data is handled in relation to a mobile device. Even the GSA is not authorized to deploy any iOS device, in fact the non-FOUO devices they currently distribute are Motorola Droid devices.

The iOS hackers aren't really even blackhatters. Everything I've seen about them (with the possible exception if i0n1c) is that they're generally upright people. Especially the dev-team which insists that people donate to a charity if they feel the need to give anyone money. They're against stealing in any form, and try to abide by all laws. People who are greedy enough to just sell to the highest-bidder no matter what the consequences are don't think like that. Hackers are not the same as arms dealers.
That's just ignorance. The ones most visible to you, those that are out there to assist with getting JB's out for public distribution would likely fall into the white hatter category but that's highly not the case when it comes to ALL iOS hackers. If the Forbes article is correct in that there's a huge payload out there, then there's obviously black hatters out there.

Why would i0n1c be an exception? Is he treasonous? Is he a black hatter? I see no evidence of either, in fact I often see his tweets complaining about how others profit off his work. The biggest "crime" I see about him is not sharing his work, but I see nothing technically wrong with that. It's no different from someone showing up at your house flaunting a Veyron and not allowing you to touch it. You seem to think you have a right to his work or something, if he chooses not to share it, that's his choice whether you or I don't like it.

i0n1c's behavior may not be new, but that doesn't make it acceptable. I'm not even all that upset - pretty much everyone else in the JB scene is more than willing to share their work. I just think he's deliberately being an *******. If I had a skill that others wanted/needed, and I didn't want to share it, I just wouldn't make it known that I could do what they're asking.
What do you mean "acceptable"? Are you saying that you have a right to all of the iOS hackers' work? I don't see why you would be upset at all, I'm sure not. I appreciate all the work the dev-team and what pod2g does, so much that I really don't care when the JB comes out. If I needed a JB to enjoy my iPhone I wouldn't have one in the first place, it'd be better to go with an Android, root it if necessary. I enjoy my iPhone as-is, the JB makes it better but it's not why I have the device.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
How can you not hate i0n1c when he posts stuff like that taunting us..

Screen Shot 2012-05-07 at 20.54.00.png

ipad3,3_5.1.1_cydia.png

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
What do you mean "acceptable"? Are you saying that you have a right to all of the iOS hackers' work? I don't see why you would be upset at all, I'm sure not. I appreciate all the work the dev-team and what pod2g does, so much that I really don't care when the JB comes out. If I needed a JB to enjoy my iPhone I wouldn't have one in the first place, it'd be better to go with an Android, root it if necessary. I enjoy my iPhone as-is, the JB makes it better but it's not why I have the device.

I'm not saying the act of not sharing the work is unacceptable. I'm saying being an immature prick about it is socially unacceptable. There's no reason he needs to act like a 3 year old and taunt everyone about his toys that no one else can have.

----------

First of all iOS devices are NOT being "deployed" in government departments, iOS devices are not authorized for official US government business, only BB devices on the RIM network are allowed for official business use. iOS devices may be used for personal use and non-FOUO business only. I won't go into how each classificiation level of information since you obviously don't understand the basics of how FOUO, Secret or TS data is handled in relation to a mobile device. Even the GSA is not authorized to deploy any iOS device, in fact the non-FOUO devices they currently distribute are Motorola Droid devices.

Your information is outdated. Guess what - my father is a US government employee - he doesn't work in Washington, but his line of work does occasionally have him talking to senators and whatnot. They are currently deploying iOS devices in some departments for a test run. He currently has a blackberry for official use. However, they intend to furnish him with an iPad soon (and an iPhone shorty afterwards). Remember that blackberry network outage a while ago? They were not very pleased with that.

Would the iOS devices officially have access to classified information? Of course not. But there is non-classified information that can be considered sensitive. Remember that VA scandal where they lost a laptop and potentially compromised millions of SSNs?

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
That's just ignorance. The ones most visible to you, those that are out there to assist with getting JB's out for public distribution would likely fall into the white hatter category but that's highly not the case when it comes to ALL iOS hackers. If the Forbes article is correct in that there's a huge payload out there, then there's obviously black hatters out there.

Why would i0n1c be an exception? Is he treasonous? Is he a black hatter? I see no evidence of either, in fact I often see his tweets complaining about how others profit off his work. The biggest "crime" I see about him is not sharing his work, but I see nothing technically wrong with that. It's no different from someone showing up at your house flaunting a Veyron and not allowing you to touch it. You seem to think you have a right to his work or something, if he chooses not to share it, that's his choice whether you or I don't like it.

I never said that none of the iPhone hackers are black hatters. Though I admit I wasn't clear on that point. Like you misconstrued my statement, I assumed you meant that *all* iOS hackers were black hatters - I refuted that point by citing the publically known ones.

And the number of blackhat iOS hackers must be small if they're willing to pay $250k/exploit (which is more than what's paid for any other system). If there were millions (or even thousands) of hackers that could also do the job, they'd be able to pay much less and still get results.

And I said i0n1c is a possible exception. I don't know exactly where his business lies. But he has stated that he's unwilling to share his current exploit because it essentially closes a revenue stream for him (or at least it makes it so that he has to do more work to maintain said stream). He does not strike me as the type who is above to selling to the highest bidder, hence him being a possible exception.

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
I really don't need anyone to define what treason means. In fact the example using North Korea is quite out there, it's like someone using the example of a giant meteor falling on their heads justifying why nobody should ever walk outside.

I'll use a better example more likely a more realistic one. How's about competing companies within the US? How much would other software companies be willing to pay... this is what I meant by what these "black hatters" may want.

Is North Korea out there? Sure. However, that Forbes article (which is all I'm going by - anything beyond that is even greater speculation) did indicate that the biggest buyers were governments. I'm sure the US buys some (or even most) of those, but there are 195 other countries in the world that could also potentially have an interest in such vulnerabilities. It's not that farfetched that some of those countries would be countries that aren't friendly with us. Hell, even countries that are supposedly our allies were conducting espionage at fairly high levels of government (Israel fairly recently).

I don't think it's stretching the definition to consider selling techniques that allow other nations to spy on Americans to be treason. Otherwise, I'm sure they can get an espionage charge to stick.

Point is - when someone is paying $250k for information, there's a reason. Either the people with the skills very few and far between or there's a pretty large element of risk involved. Or both. Maybe it's the former - I kinda doubt it since we've had plenty of <18 year olds craft some pretty nice exploits. But if it's the latter, there are legitimate reasons for some JB developers to not want to deal with the whole underground scene.

Hyper-X

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2011
Your information is outdated. Guess what - my father is a US government employee - he doesn't work in Washington, but his line of work does occasionally have him talking to senators and whatnot. They are currently deploying iOS devices in some departments for a test run. He currently has a blackberry for official use. However, they intend to furnish him with an iPad soon (and an iPhone shorty afterwards). Remember that blackberry network outage a while ago? They were not very pleased with that.
Your choice of words are wrong. Deploying a device means it's actively being used, not field tested. I double in both the JFC/CCF J6/C6 command that assesses, budgets for and tests the devices internally before they're field tested and I know for a fact no iOS device is actively deployed. I can guarantee that your father is not using anything meaningful other than accessing SSL protected websites and IMAP email services and a few apps, in other words, nothing special that most mobile devices can't already do. Encrypted digital certificates (via CAC card) services don't exist and we're still working with a few companies to provide a prototype device that meets our requirements. So your dad is not using anything beyond FOUO services which doesn't speak much for field testing iOS devices.

This link is old but the information is still current. The DoD only has BB/RIM and Dell Android tablets officially authorized for use. iOS devices are still being tested.

http://www.informationweek.com/news/government/mobile/231901988

Would the iOS devices officially have access to classified information? Of course not. But there is non-classified information that can be considered sensitive. Remember that VA scandal where they lost a laptop and potentially compromised millions of SSNs?
Again not sure why you're trying to explain to me what sensitive information is, I've been working in the field for over 26 years. In order for any mobile device to process any offical govt business must conform to the standards put forth on properly handling and managing classified information. NO iOS device currently does this. The only way it could right now is via VPN but VPN services aren't authorized unless the user uses CAC services and without any CAC mobile device addon for iOS devices, it can't be done.

Last edited:

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL
So, no untethered for 5.1 and we're on to 5.1.1 so any great accomplishment that pod2g was keeping to himself may just end there, for those of us who "smartly" were waiting at 5.0.1 for a 5.1 jailbreak. This proves my point that if there is an exploit deploy it asap, whether pod2g's jb still works or not we could all have been screwed until iOS6 now.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
what does that really mean? been outta the jb world. sitting on 5.0.1 jb w/ corona.

Provided you have your blobs, you can now restore to firmware versions Apple has stopped signing. I'm guessing this is only for 5.0.1 (for the newer devices). Which is great in case you have to restore for whatever reason but want to be able to jailbreak again.

You changed your avatar. Where've you been? Haven't seen you here in a while :p

rick snagwell

macrumors 68040
Feb 12, 2011
alta loma, ca
Provided you have your blobs, you can now restore to firmware versions Apple has stopped signing. I'm guessing this is only for 5.0.1 (for the newer devices). Which is great in case you have to restore for whatever reason but want to be able to jailbreak again.

You changed your avatar. Where've you been? Haven't seen you here in a while :p

this is awesome then, been really wanting to do a clean jailbreak again on 5.0.1.

i changed my avatar to support my LA KINGS. US Hockey team.

and i really don't hang around when there is nothing going on in the jb world. once the new iPhone gets announced, ill join back up!

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
this is awesome then, been really wanting to do a clean jailbreak again on 5.0.1.

i changed my avatar to support my LA KINGS. US Hockey team.

and i really don't hang around when there is nothing going on in the jb world. once the new iPhone gets announced, ill join back up!

I should probably do the same. I waste too much time on here :p

And yeah it is great! I've wanted to do the same thing on my 4S.

wgr73

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2005
New Mexico
I should probably do the same. I waste too much time on here :p

And yeah it is great! I've wanted to do the same thing on my 4S.

Sweet, I have too. I can no longer sync/charge via my MacBook Pro anymore. And this is not photoalbums+ related!! :eek: So this tool is going to be extremely valuable!! :cool:

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
because he makes a valid point, the free choice of releasing jailbreaks v selling them as exploits is too difficult to discuss in a forum. However, he isn't publicly releasing them because of this very reason.

I understand his reasoning.

I'm not talking about his reasoning. His work is his and he can and should do with it whatever he wants but he keeps flaunting his work when he knows a lot of people are desperate to jailbreak their devices. Yes he can also do that, nothing stopping him. But that's why I'm saying it's hard not to hate him :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.