Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
4. Integrate Facebook

You've integrated Twitter, so why not integrate Facebook. Allow Facebook (as well as Twitter) updates from Siri, allow direct photo uploads, even allow us to share things we come upon while on the internet, or share our favorite song from the Music app. Think of all the possibilities that Facebook integration into iOS can bring!

This is down to Facebook, not Apple, it looked like all the code is there for it back in the beta for iOS5 along with the twitter integration, but just not enabled, FB prob wouldn't allow it, to understand why, just look at the Ping debacle

3. Make the Messages app an Aggregator

The New Messages app not only supports SMS and iMessage, but now you can get MSN, Yahoo, AIM, and Facebook chat right through messages. Each provider has it's own little icon so you never forget which service you're using. Windows Phone did it, so can you Apple!

SMS and Chat services like MSN/Yahoo, etc are, although appearing similar, totally different things. You might as well say to merge email as well at the rate you're going.

2. Data Management Utilities

Not everyone has unlimited data on their phone. Digging through to the "Usage" menu isn't convenient either. By adding easier access to see how much data you've consumed, you can help save people from going over. You can even add the option to warn when you're about to go over your data cap and set your monthly cycle so the iPhone or iPad easily knows when to reset for that month.

Carrier apps already have this. In the UK at least, on Orange, Three and O2, the apps show what data you've used and send you a free text when you're close to your limit and then when you've hit the limit.

My comments in bold

dkersten

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2010
1) Let me put the stupid Newsstand app in a folder. Why does Apple insist it be on my homescreen?

2) Let me hide some of the Apple included stock apps from my homescreen (even if they are physically still on my phone. Possibly allow me to search for them in the spotlight search). I don't want useless stock apps on my homescreen or even in a folder)

3) Weather widget on the lockscreen.

4) Anything that gets away from the boring grid of icons. Let me place the apps exactly where I want (maybe have an option in settings where i can turn off a "grid snap" feature). This is what I really like about Android. You can have interactive widgets and static icons arranged however you want them on a homescreen.

5) Better integration of maps. I would like turn by turn voice navigation (possible Siri integration). 3D maps wold be cool but i bet it would drain battery. Apple did buy that foreign 3D map company awhile ago if my memory server me right.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
iOS needs a ton of Android features. It may take a looooooong time for me to write it all out though... :S

That's a sure sign that we DON'T need Android features. Seeing as how multiple Android vendors can barely beat a single company in selling phones.

Syk

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2010
1. Easy access to different profiles (ringtone on/off, also to be set or pre-set by time)

2. Possibility to pre-set send-time for SMS and e-mails.

3. Forward Delete key at least for external BT keyboards (if such support is missing today)

Don't know about a pre-set send time for SMS or emails but I'd sure like a Nite mode or the ability to let's say M-F push emails 7am-9pm or what ever time I set,Sat-Sun fetch every hour or so

If not that at least a setting that you can set it so that after a certain time your phone wouldn't vibrate or make a noise on events of your choice, ie email, txt, phone call or other notifications.

For me I'd leave phone calls on but sure turn off text and email and other notifications when I'm sleep

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
There is already an accounts API that developers use to authenticate like the twitter support. Facebook will probably be supported but as of right now Twitter, Vimeo, Flickr and more are being hyped

I'd prefer chat support come from 3rd party vendors.

Data usage needs to come from the DB of record which is your carrier. They all have apps to track usage.

maksuco.com

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2012
6 things it needs

1. Accessible quick-toggles in the Multitasking bar

Turning on/off Wifi, on/off Bluetooth, on/off 3G.
AND a easy way to turn off all apps at once or those that you havent use in more that a week.

2. Record conversations
There has to be a way to record conversations in case your dring and you need to record something important.

3. Options with numbers
When iphone detects a phone number it makes it a link and you can dial using the phone, but what happens if you want to use skype for the call, please give the option like Android does.

4. Face recognition

5. Faster SIRI

6. Please let more apps like nes emulators, etc..
Android has them why cant we, you cant get paid for everything apple, dont make the same mistakes you maid in the 80, be more open.

Regards
Michael
http://www.tusmenus.com

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
AND a easy way to turn off all apps at once or those that you havent use in more that a week.

2. Record conversations
There has to be a way to record conversations in case your dring and you need to record something important.

4. Face recognition

5. Faster SIRI

6. Please let more apps like nes emulators, etc..
Android has them why cant we, you cant get paid for everything apple, dont make the same mistakes you maid in the 80, be more open.

in regards to first comment, the apps aren't on in the background, so why would you need to turn them off, they're already off, just states are saved.

2. Recording conversations are illegal unless you inform the other person you are doing so, so for that fact alone, it won't be allowed as a standard, JB only.

4. Face recognition, the camera already does that....

5. Speed of siri is mostly down to the data connection, should see much improvement when on 4G, i'd like the travel/business stuff in the UK now please.

6. this is due to the fact that emulators are illegal, unless they've gained a licence or made by the original owners. nothing apple can do about that.

Syk

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2010
in regards to first comment, the apps aren't on in the background, so why would you need to turn them off, they're already off, just states are saved.

2. Recording conversations are illegal unless you inform the other person you are doing so, so for that fact alone, it won't be allowed as a standard, JB only.

4. Face recognition, the camera already does that....

5. Speed of siri is mostly down to the data connection, should see much improvement when on 4G, i'd like the travel/business stuff in the UK now please.

6. this is due to the fact that emulators are illegal, unless they've gained a licence or made by the original owners. nothing apple can do about that.

That's not true. It depends on your state. In some states only one party has to know and that one party can be you

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
That's not true. It depends on your state. In some states only one party has to know and that one party can be you

yes, but don't forget, the iPhone is sold around the world. it's illegal in other countries. it's easier for them to just not include it, as if they include it and it gets used illegally, they could opent themselves up to legal problems.

Mochi Hana

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
Texas
I like 1,2, and 3. I also want the ability to set a different app as the default so a web link will open in, say, Atomic Web Browser instead of Safari. Being able to stick Newsstand into a folder or getting rid of it altogether would be nice as well.

Syk

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2010
yes, but don't forget, the iPhone is sold around the world. it's illegal in other countries. it's easier for them to just not include it, as if they include it and it gets used illegally, they could opent themselves up to legal problems.

Yeah but it would have been better to say in some places it's illegal. Just saying it's illegal isn't a true statement but it's still good to check local laws and correct because of that it will probably never see the light of day in an iOS release or app store

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 16, 2011
SMS and Chat services like MSN/Yahoo, etc are, although appearing similar, totally different things. You might as well say to merge email as well at the rate you're going.

Nobody said they had to use the same method of transferring messages. I know they're different, but that doesn't mean they have to be in a separate area. One of the main things about Blackberries that I love is that they have the whole unified "Messages" inbox that holds all your notifications, emails, texts, BBMs, IMs, and missed calls and the lot, but also allow you to sort individually and see only texts, or only BBMs. It's a concept that could easily be implemented into iOS6.

Carrier apps already have this. In the UK at least, on Orange, Three and O2, the apps show what data you've used and send you a free text when you're close to your limit and then when you've hit the limit.

The carriers in the US I have not seen anything like that offered. The reason I put that one is because Android 4.0 has that exact feature, where you can tell the phone what your data cap actually is.

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
Yeah but it would have been better to say in some places it's illegal. Just saying it's illegal isn't a true statement but it's still good to check local laws and correct because of that it will probably never see the light of day in an iOS release or app store

well it's easier to just point out that's the reason why it's not included, rather than waste time saying where it is or isn't illegal as you'd spend ages listing where it is, where it isn't and where it's partially allowed. Plus saying it's illegal is a true statement as it is where i am....

----------

The carriers in the US I have not seen anything like that offered. The reason I put that one is because Android 4.0 has that exact feature, where you can tell the phone what your data cap actually is.

actually someone on here said about AT&T having it on theirs. it would really be a waste of time duplicating functions.

BlendedFrog

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2010
There is only feature that I really want...sound profiles.

I want to be able to set sounds for different times of the day, different settings, etc...

Yumunum

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2011
U.S.
That's a sure sign that we DON'T need Android features. Seeing as how multiple Android vendors can barely beat a single company in selling phones.

Define "beat." Number of phones sold? Profits made? Either way, even if all Android device manufacturers sold horribly small numbers of their phones, and they weren't "winning," it wouldn't mean that the OS doesn't have good features/attributes to it.

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
Get Siri out of beta and make it useful. For example, Siri will show my 1 PM meeting on the screen, but it won't read it to me, even though I can change meeting titles by voice. The more things Siri can do without making me look at the screen, the better.

wally.waldo

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2011
There is only feature that I really want...sound profiles.

I want to be able to set sounds for different times of the day, different settings, etc...

Could not agree more! nothing more annoying that having an email/text message etc wake you up in the middle of the night. But you don't always want your phone to be on silent. The majority of the time my phone is on silent is when i go to sleep but its easy to forgot to switch the phone off silent in the morning resulting in missed calls/texts. Should be able to easily set a general rule for when the phone should be silent or loud that can be overridden by the switch on the side of the phone.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Any thoughts on what iOS 6 will have that Android doesn't? I really feel they need to raise the bar with iOS 6. And not just come out with features Android already has (like widgets). I agree with most of the things others have already mentioned. I'd love it if Siri was more integrated and could control more settings like changing the backlighting or turning wi-fi on and off.

healage

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2011
iOS absolutely needs notification icons in the status bar... Can't believe it hasn't been done yet

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
Navigation, navigation, navigation.

This has been a glaring hole in the iOS portfolio for a while now. Google Navigation is absolutely amazing on Android. Apple really needs to do something there.

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
Navigation, navigation, navigation.

This has been a glaring hole in the iOS portfolio for a while now. Google Navigation is absolutely amazing on Android. Apple really needs to do something there.

Yeah... my mother was using hers in the car on the way to the airport. She was getting amazing navigation and traffic reports and that comes stock with Android. It's about on par with my TomTom app for iPhone, but hers is stock and mine was 50 bucks... and another 20 for traffic updates. I seldom use the built in GPS except to look around at neighboring streets. I also hate that it navigates upside down and if you calibrate it to make it go the right direction it looks like you're driving crooked. It works, but it's a giant bag of fail compared to Android's Google Maps.

RITmusic2k

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2009
Anaheim, CA
Get Siri out of beta and make it useful. For example, Siri will show my 1 PM meeting on the screen, but it won't read it to me, even though I can change meeting titles by voice. The more things Siri can do without making me look at the screen, the better.

In line with this comment: The one feature that would completely transform the phone for me is if Siri could also function an app launcher.

It can already find individual songs in my music library; it shouldn't be too tricky to implement "Launch evernote", etc.

TallGuy1970

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2010
My one and only must-have...

Silence notifications during a call. I hate having my text tone or the vibration ring in the middle of my phone conversations, thereby blocking out the caller and forcing me to have them repeat what they just said. :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.