Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

praetorian909

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2004
I didn't notice this until after installing 5.1.1 on my iPad 3 just now, but remember the nice animation you get when you split the keyboard on the iPad? I am no longer seeing the animation part and it just splits. Just curious if Apple got rid of this in 5.1 or did they remove it in 5.1.1?

I just tried to check before doing the update: on 5.1 my iPad 1 did the animation where the keyboard slides up and then (I believe I recall it) sliding apart to the left and right. After updating to 5.1.1 it still did the animation of sliding up to the middle of the screen, but now it instantly splits.

Though I'm not totally sure if I remember correctly that the keyboard slid apart for 5.1 (since I didn't know what I was watching for), I can double-check on another iPad running 5.1. But I'm fairly certain you are right, the left/right animation was removed.

rman726

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2007
Does anyone know if the jailbreak community recommends not installing this over 5.1? I don't want to install a minor update to find a jailbreak for the iPad 5.1 only become available.

Then again, I don't even know if I want to jailbreak my iPad right now. It does everything I want it to now that I don't need RetinaPad and hotspot.

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
I just updated to 5.1.1 and noticed my capacity go down by about 300MB (from 24.4GB to 24.1GB) on my 64GB iPhone 4S. I used iTunes to update instead of OTA. Had I used OTA, would the decrease in capacity be less?

AppleGuesser

macrumors regular
May 1, 2012
Macon, GA
I just updated to 5.1.1 and noticed my capacity go down by about 300MB (from 24.4GB to 24.1GB) on my 64GB iPhone 4S. I used iTunes to update instead of OTA. Had I used OTA, would the decrease in capacity be less?

No because it is a delta update, the overall size of the whole OS is still in the same ball park, maybe a few megs bigger or smaller but nothing as drastic as 200 megs smaller. I know, i had the same hopes as well, and i have the 16 gig iphone, so alas, no :(

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
Take note Google, Samsung, HTC, Motorola. This is how software updates are supposed to be deployed.

Yes. I don't see why anyone would use the clunky Android OS.

----------

Yes, so you pick one instance where a jailbreak dev was ahead of Apple in patching a vulnerability and hold that up as science that all users should jailbreak? Ok...

Does the word ALPINE mean anything to you? I really don't like having to worry about system services and background processes which are normally sealed off completely all of a sudden being exposed, and vulnerable, if measures are not proactively taken to lock them down and secure them.

When you jailbreak you are exposing the entire file system system wide. Do you trust every tweak and app from Cydia or whatever repo(s) you use? It would be incredibly easy for a malicious one to sneak through and you are wide open for the taking. I don't believe it has ever happened, but it could, and that is a risk I'm not willing to take.

We can have the debate over battery life and stability - I believe both are compromised to one degree or another by a jailbreak - at the end of the day, the choice is yours to make. But don't expect your choice to be the default. Just sayin'.

The vulnerability only exists if you install OpenSSH and ignore all of those warnings telling you to change the root password.

It's an SSH vulnerability that people were opening by installing OpenSSH for easier hacking then not changing their passwords. Some poopbag hacked a lot of open iDevices that way.

Still, I do enjoy the security of the App Store. I keep my Cydia usage to a minimum.

efktd

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2011
USA
did anyone else notice...

while the screen is on, you can now hold up the phone to your ear and just speak to Siri, without pressing and holding the home button?

AppleGuesser

macrumors regular
May 1, 2012
Macon, GA
Didn't Android have OTA updates first?

Yeah, they had the ability first. But that didnt mean it really worked or that many companies used it. Just sayin :D:apple:

----------

while the screen is on, you can now hold up the phone to your ear and just speak to Siri, without pressing and holding the home button?

You could always do this? Just turn on Raise to speak under the settings for Siri?:)

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009

You could always do this, and it was enabled by default, but it rarely worked for me. Maybe they improved it?

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Raise to speak has never worked from me since day one. Have attempted to turn it off, then back on multiple times. Reboots of the phone nor software updates have done anything to fix it :confused:

AppleGuesser

macrumors regular
May 1, 2012
Macon, GA
Raise to speak has never worked from me since day one. Have attempted to turn it off, then back on multiple times. Reboots of the phone nor software updates have done anything to fix it :confused:

That is so odd, i am with you one the confused face, that is incredibly puzzling to me too. Have you just tried a full reset? Like a reset from iTunes restoring the software as a new iPhone. I know that by doing that, you'd lose all your stuff, which isnt ideal, but that may be a decent fix to your problem if you really want Raise to Speak (which it should never come to that really :( )

itsmemuffins

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
Updated my iPad 3 iPhone 4 and 4S last night and this morning battery percentage on all three are the same as I left them last night. :)

eNJayBe

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2011
I just tried to check before doing the update: on 5.1 my iPad 1 did the animation where the keyboard slides up and then (I believe I recall it) sliding apart to the left and right. After updating to 5.1.1 it still did the animation of sliding up to the middle of the screen, but now it instantly splits.

Though I'm not totally sure if I remember correctly that the keyboard slid apart for 5.1 (since I didn't know what I was watching for), I can double-check on another iPad running 5.1. But I'm fairly certain you are right, the left/right animation was removed.

Just tried it on my 5.1 iPad and it splits and then moves up.

Hyper-X

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2011
I was hoping they fixed the issue in Safari where a javascript exploit could spoof a website address into the address bar but I noticed that all it does in 5.1.1 is it shows a blank address bar. I hoped Apple could do better than this.

VinegarTasters

macrumors 6502
Nov 20, 2007
updating

I saw the update from Settings -> General -> Software update. Tapped the "Learn More", and it described the update. At the bottom where it says...

For information on the security content of this update, pelase visit this website:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1222

Has anyone tried clicking on the link? Nothing happens. Why can't you click and read the security information before updating? Shouldn't the browser launch? Instead of doing nothing?

I guess you have to manually copy it and paste somewhere else? Why is the usability so untested?

djrod

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2008
Madrid - Spain
I saw the update from Settings -> General -> Software update. Tapped the "Learn More", and it described the update. At the bottom where it says...

For information on the security content of this update, pelase visit this website:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1222

Has anyone tried clicking on the link? Nothing happens. Why can't you click and read the security information before updating? Shouldn't the browser launch? Instead of doing nothing?

I guess you have to manually copy it and paste somewhere else? Why is the usability so untested?

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5278

dysamoria

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2011
I assume they still haven't fixed the worsening text selection (just try to select blank lines or non-alphanumeric characters in Mail since iOS 5.1) nor the bug that obnoxiously & seemingly permanently breaks "Reset Keyboard Dictionary" for a bunch of users each time there's a major OS upgrade (probably permissions get screwed up or something between major OS versions).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.