Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SpetsnaZ99

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2012
UK
My God.... what have i done wrong in a past life

SpeedTest Result.png

pauliaK

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2012
Banff, AB
50/50 which is close to reality :):

And it costs me 15$ a month, this is the cheapest option out here where I live, but I could easily get 300/300 for 30$ a month, but see no reason for that, as I'm quite comfortable with what I have at the moment :D

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
Pretty bad when you can get 50/50 for $15 a month in Lithuania and I get 5/1 for $60 a month in New York.

The rest of the world is far ahead in some aspects of things.

50/50 which is close to reality :):

[url=http://www.speedtest.net/result/1922701310.png]Image[/URL]

And it costs me 15$ a month, this is the cheapest option out here where I live, but I could easily get 300/300 for 30$ a month, but see no reason for that, as I'm quite comfortable with what I have at the moment :D

HotRodGuy

macrumors regular
AT&T U-verse suppose to be 18MPS

I average 12-14 down and 1.5-2 up

----------

Pretty bad when you can get 50/50 for $15 a month in Lithuania and I get 5/1 for $60 a month in New York.

The rest of the world is far ahead in some aspects of things.

yeap, they do it right overseas....our infrastructure out here is miserable. What's funny is it's US companies doing most of the infrastructure overseas.

If I remember right, Cisco did all of sweden.

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
yeap, they do it right overseas....our infrastructure out here is miserable. What's funny is it's US companies doing most of the infrastructure overseas.

If I remember right, Cisco did all of sweden.

What's worse is there is no competition in the USA if you want broadband in most markets. The only competition you have if the option of dial-up vs broadband.

Then depending on the market you might have a cable company (cox, time warner, etc...) or have AT&T U-verse, or FIOS.

You rarely find markets that have an option of which to chose. I would wager to bet they pay politicians money to keep competitors out of the markets they control.

nickn

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2011
What's worse is there is no competition in the USA if you want broadband in most markets. The only competition you have if the option of dial-up vs broadband.
You rarely find markets that have an option of which to chose. I would wager to bet they pay politicians money to keep competitors out of the markets they control.

Oddly though, at least in my area, competition has really done nothing. As of now, we have AT&T POTS and Uverse, Comcast, WideOpenWest, and Clearwire all heavily advertising, and yet none of the services are getting any better, and the prices are all going up. Additionally, considering the fact that my town has hundreds of computer based businesses, including the Motorola world headquarters that alone employes almost ten thousand, you would think the ISP's would want to fix their services, but alas they don't care.

Last edited:

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
Do you really have all those services available at your location? I see FIOS advertise all the time here, but it's not available....it's very spotty where it's available. A mile north of me it's available, and a few miles west it's available.

Oddly through, at least in my area, competition has really done nothing. As of now, we have AT&T POTS and Uverse, Comcast, WideOpenWest, and Clearwire all heavily advertising, and yet none of the services are getting any better, and the prices are all going up. Additionally, considering the fact that my town has hundreds of computer based businesses, including the Motorola world headquarters that alone employes thousands, you would think the ISP's would want to fix their services, but alas they don't care.

nickn

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2011
Do you really have all those services available at your location? I see FIOS advertise all the time here, but it's not available....it's very spotty where it's available. A mile north of me it's available, and a few miles west it's available.

Yep, they are all available. I personally had AT&T before, which I dropped for WOW that I have now. My neighbor has Comcast, and a Clearwire tower is around .75 miles away. There are several other ISP's in the area, but they mostly target businesses. I could get a 1gbps connection if not more right now, but it would be several thousand a month. Clearly competition is not the issue here. Something more needs to be done to get these companies off their ***es. I try to believe in an open market, but it is not working. When I see some of these results, like where people pay less then $50 for what I would have to pay $2500 a month for, there is something wrong. If I ever won the lottery I would open a business like sonic.net and put everyone out of business. Hopefully they come over and beat me too it, lol.
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2011/06/1gbps-fiber-for-70in-america-yup/

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
Amazing, time warner is pretty much my only option. It's shocking that competition doesn't seem to change service in your area. I think companies just don't care.

I can change to time warner business class for faster uploads, but the pricing is way too high.

Yep, they are all available. I personally had AT&T before, which I dropped for WOW that I have now. My neighbor has Comcast, and a Clearwire tower is around .75 miles away. There are several other ISP's in the area, but they mostly target businesses. I could get a 1gbps connection if not more right now, but it would be several thousand a month. Clearly competition is not the issue here. Something more needs to be done to get these companies off their ***es. I try to believe in an open market, but it is not working. When I see some of these results, like where people pay less then $50 for what I would have to pay $2500 a month for, there is something wrong. If I ever won the lottery I would open a business like sonic.net and put everyone out of business. Hopefully they come over and beat me too it, lol.
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2011/06/1gbps-fiber-for-70in-america-yup/

rgr555

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2012

Verizon Fios 35/35

It's a beautiful thing.
NEVER had to reset the router like I had to with TWC either.

when I download its usually 45/30 even though it says 35/35

nickn

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2011
I think companies just don't care.
I'm inclined to believe the same. For example, look at the above post. He only gets 35mbps from FIOS fiber? Why? Fiber has practically infinite bandwidth. I have seen some Verizon LTE phone speedtests get around 65-70mbps! Another example of lack of caring, again in my town, is that the companies apparently don't even care about their own offices. My villages website says Comcast hires 725 people a their office in my town, and yet we still have dirt poor service all around. Verizon hires 625 at their location here, and they have no land based services at all.

rgr555

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2012
I'm inclined to believe the same. For example, look at the above post. He only gets 35mbps from FIOS fiber? Why? Fiber has practically infinite bandwidth. I have seen some Verizon LTE phone speedtests get around 65-70mbps! Another example of lack of caring, again in my town, is that the companies apparently don't even care about their own offices. My villages website says Comcast hires 725 people a their office in my town, and yet we still have dirt poor service all around. Verizon hires 625 at their location here, and they have no land based services at all.

What do you mean why? It's a service you pay for. There's 150/150 but that's a lot costlier. Also, fiber optics is a different technology than other service providers. If you're lucky to have Fios in your area it's a no brainer to switch. Not only is it 3x faster than TWC and other providers, its also cheaper. Too good to be true.....

nickn

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2011
What do you mean why? It's a service you pay for. There's 150/150 but that's a lot costlier. Also, fiber optics is a different technology than other service providers. If you're lucky to have Fios in your area it's a no brainer to switch. Not only is it 3x faster than TWC and other providers, its also cheaper. Too good to be true.....

I wrote that kinda wrong. I really meant why is Verizon even offering fiber service that slow. Besides bilking money out of people to upgrade tiers , there is little reason why. Fiber has practically an infinte amount of bandwidth, so they could easily up the speeds for everyone. For example, they could start service off at around 100mbps, and go up to say 1gbps, instead of offering 5mbps or whatever as the first tier. As sonic.net showed in california by offering 1gbps for $69, it would be easy to do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.