Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

McRocket

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 3, 2012
I am looking to buy my first Mac/Mac Mini (already have iPhone+iPad2).

But before I do, I want to make sure I can get a joystick that will solidly work on them.

Any suggestions?

Fraaaa

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2010
London, UK
Joypad?

You mean like a console controller (PS3)?

If you do, then either is probably okay.

Though both would be preferable.

This is a joystick
220px-Atari_XE_joystick.jpg

A joypad(or gamepad), yes is a console controller. Sorry if I specify this, is just because joystick are relative uncommon in gaming unless you play some plane simulation - I guess?

For joypad/game pad I love XBOX 360 controllers; however, they are not natively supported on Mac. It can be cumbersome to install with third party drivers. I made a guide on youtube about it if you are interested, but I cannot 100% it'll work for you depending on many things.

Logitech make decent gamepads, resembling PS3 controllers(most of pc gamepad are).

Here is a top 10 gamepads. Logitech seems the most favourite.

I don't know anything of joystick, unfortunately. But logitech does some of those too.

McRocket

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 3, 2012
This is a joystick

A joypad(or gamepad), yes is a console controller. Sorry if I specify this, is just because joystick are relative uncommon in gaming unless you play some plane simulation - I guess?

For joypad/game pad I love XBOX 360 controllers; however, they are not natively supported on Mac. It can be cumbersome to install with third party drivers. I made a guide on youtube about it if you are interested, but I cannot 100% it'll work for you depending on many things.

Logitech make decent gamepads, resembling PS3 controllers(most of pc gamepad are).

Here is a top 10 gamepads. Logitech seems the most favourite.

I don't know anything of joystick, unfortunately. But logitech does some of those too.

Thanks for the info...but it seems to be what I feared - if you want to play decent games on a desktop, a Mac is NOT the way to go.

I mean, it is ridiculous that it is so difficult just to find a game pad/joystick that universally works with Mac's.

PC's have been game friendly for years and years...what is Apple's problem?

I just want a bloody gamepad/joystick that will work with a Mac...it's not like I am asking for eternal youth or anything.

Enough excuses Apple...get your sh@t together and develop a bloody Apple gamepad that works on almost every game that can play on your Mac's.

Fraaaa

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2010
London, UK
I mean, it is ridiculous that it is so difficult just to find a game pad/joystick that universally works with Mac's.

There might has been a misunderstanding. The only gamepad that is not native on Mac is the XBOX360 controller. Any other gamepad works perfectly without fuss.

McRocket

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 3, 2012
There might has been a misunderstanding. The only gamepad that is not native on Mac is the XBOX360 controller. Any other gamepad works perfectly without fuss.

How about my PS3 gamepad?

Will that work fine on Lion OS Mac's (I.e. new Mac's) for most games?

Fraaaa

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2010
London, UK
How about my PS3 gamepad?

Will that work fine on Lion OS Mac's (I.e. new Mac's) for most games?

I saw that there are videos on youtube for it, you ought to search it. But remember that console controller are made for consoles, they are not designed to be working on PCs.

mikker

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2013
jostick for flight games

I have been using the logitek extreme 3d ok for some time and tried the one of the thrustmaster ones with a separate throttle control. Not all the functions worked on that, but most were ok. Couldn'y find a thrustmaster T16000.
Then tried the FLY 5 which works great, + has the advantage of being adjustable for strange shaped hands!!
little rotating button had no effect when used with my game (X3 TC)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.