Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

T-Mobile USA yesterday announced its plans to begin work with Ericsson and Nokia Siemens Networks to roll out LTE service in 2013, taking advantage of spectrum it obtained from AT&T last week following the failed merger of the two carriers. But perhaps more importantly for iPhone users, T-Mobile's network improvements will allow it to offer HSPA+ service in the 1900 MHz band compatible with current iPhone hardware "by the end of the year".
As part of the company's network modernization effort, T-Mobile also plans to launch 4G HSPA+ service in the 1900 MHz band in a large number of markets by the end of the year. Network modernization trials have shown up to a 33 percent increase in HSPA+ data speeds as well as improved in-building coverage. Rolling out 4G HSPA+ services in the 1900 MHz band will also provide customers with the ability to use a broader range of devices, including the iPhone, on T-Mobile's 4G network.
T-Mobile already has over one million iPhone customers on its network and has been beefing up support for those customers even though they are currently limited to T-Mobile's much slower EDGE data network.

t-mobile_usa_logo.jpg

T-Mobile USA began refarming its spectrum late last year, allowing a small number of users to access 3G speeds on the 1900 MHz band compatible with the iPhone. With yesterday's announcement, that refarming will spread nationwide and make it possible for the carrier to fully support the iPhone without Apple being required to build hardware specific to T-Mobile and a handful of other carriers using the 1700/2100 MHz AWS bands for their 3G/4G service.

AllThingsD notes that T-Mobile USA Chief Technology Officer Neville Ray acknowledged that the spectrum refarming will allow the carrier to aggressively target current AT&T customers whose contracts have lapsed by the end of the year.
Ray declined to comment on whether the company would directly target iPhone users in a big marketing push planned for later this year.

"It would make sense," Ray agreed, but added, "We're not there yet."
Apple is widely expected to include LTE support in the next-generation iPhone, and a September-October release in line with rumors would still leave T-Mobile behind the curve with its LTE network not rolling out until 2013. But the carrier would certainly be in a much more competitive position simply by offering a fast HSPA+ network supporting the iPhone.

Article Link: T-Mobile USA to Be Ready for iPhone by End of 2012, LTE Coming in 2013

ovrlrd

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009
SEE! Look what happens when we don't allow monopolies via mergers. Innovation!

Diode

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC
When this happens I will most definitely be getting a pre-paid card and trying it out to see if I want to switch.

The only bad part is - T-Mobile would have done this sooner had they not been in negotiations for a merger.

TimUSCA

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2006
Aiken, SC

This isn't innovation and really has nothing to do with the merger falling through other than the fact that they were forced to do it to stay alive.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009

Amen! I am stoked to read this news as we need another carrier for competition in the states (especially another GSM/LTE carrier). This should be a win/win for everyone (don't give up Deutsch Telecomm!)

(I believe the comment meant if AT&T had acquired t-Mobile competition would be more hampered and thus less reason for more innovation/development of another carriers service/infrastructure. Now that t-Mobile is going in for the fight, it will keep others on their toes - and I'm glad the merger was halted, we don't need another Ma Bell)

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
The only bad part is - T-Mobile would have done this sooner had they not been in negotiations for a merger.

Agree and disagree -

T-Mob now actually has money due to the failed takeover (merger my butt).

However, the parent T-mobile was really not interested in the US operations so it was not going anywhere.

How is it innovating to get the iPhone on your network when hundreds of carriers across the world already do that? Even T-Mobile in Europe already has the iPhone. Plus the only reason T-Mo was able to do this was because of the spectrum given through the failed merger

that being said, I'm glad. It should provide a low cost option, increased competition, and increased US market penetration.

tcphoto

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2005
Madison, GA
Funny, I just saw the T Mobile commercial that said their network was faster than anything the iPhone runs on...the power/creativity of commercials.:rolleyes:

Boisv

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2012
Oh good. Another option.

Without the iPhone, T Mobile was never really an option for me.

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.
I wonder if T-Mobile will keep their unlimited data options when/if they get the iPhone.

I hope they do. I feel sorry for anyone who's an AT&T customer (though they have it nowhere near as bad as Canadians with Bell or Rogers).

BruiserB

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2008
So will an unlocked iPhone 4 (with only HSPA) work on the re-farmed HSPA+ spectrum? i.e. is it backward compatable? If so, I may let my ATT contract end in July and try out T-Mobile. Always liked them best anyway.

phape

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2009
This is great news for the budget conscience smartphone user. All those iPhone 4 and 4S's that will get unloaded when the LTE iPhone gets released this year will work quite nicely with T-Mobile's value plan (or daily prepaid options). The other major carriers don't even try to compete with T-mobile Value (aka bring your own phone) plan.

vartanarsen

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2010
I was rocking a 3GS and 4 on TMO Edge for months, and I had the $10 data plan for small phones (this was Edge only and it was signed up as a small phone that uses edge data)...and it was ok.. Email and Safari was slow, but things like Weather and Stocks (bult-in widgets) were fast enough on Edge as those apps dont have a lot of bloat.

Anyway, this was ok for a while, and I was willing to put up with Edge since the data portion of my bill was only $10.

Then they got greedy and started to try to switch things up, and found out I had iPhone, and tried to get me onto their $30 data plan, even after I explained to them than why would I pay $30 if Im only getting Edge, to which, they just blindly responded (uhh..smart phone data plan..uhhh $30).

This was off-putting to say the least, so I packed up and left, and never turned back.

Bought an E71 from Walmart and swapped StraighTalk SIM for the TMO one, and voila, had Unlimited 3G data, talk, and text for $45/month....Never looked back to TMO since.

When Straight Talk just recently announced plans for the Bring your own Phone, I threw out the Nokia SIM card, and put in the official Straight Talk BYOP Sim Card, and am officially running on ST since.

This new news of T-Mobile doesnt do anything for me now because, I lost heart for them last year.

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis
What was the point in T-Mobile using moon-frequencies in the first place?

They've been "incompatible" with everything for years and years and years. Yeah, it's good that they're switching NOW, but why couldn't they have started this back in 2009 or whenever?

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA
Bummer that their new commercials specifically bash HSPA+ iPhones. Pretty stupid on their part, and yet another example of muddles corporate messaging.

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009

They've been "incompatible" with everything for years and years and years. Yeah, it's good that they're switching NOW, but why couldn't they have started this back in 2009 or whenever?

The German influence is obvious.

Deutsche Telecom is/was mainly Siemens driven , as they had a monopoly when the post office/government owned all phone business.

Siemens is not on the forefront of phone innovation, so they take a while to do stuff. Plus, many times they bet on the wrong horse.
(I.e. trying to update old technology. instead of looking where things are going and will be in the future)

Diode

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC
Bummer that their new commercials specifically bash HSPA+ iPhones. Pretty stupid on their part, and yet another example of muddles corporate messaging.

Verizon did the same thing before launching the iPhone on their network. It's one of the reasons people said it was never coming to Verizon.

----------

I think they didn't have enough 850/1900 spectrum to cover both GSM and 3G/HSPA when just about every device was GSM.

As more and more phones support 3G technologies, they can start refarming more of the GSM frequencies to 3G as their will be less devices using GSM.

google

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2007
If T-Mo LTE will be on 1700/2100 wouldn't that make it compatible with ATT LTE? And the next iPhone? Why spend money on refarming when you take that money and start LTE deployment right now?

commander.data

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2006
AllThingsD notes that T-Mobile USA Chief Technology Officer Neville Ray acknowledged that the spectrum refarming will allow the carrier to aggressively target current AT&T customers whose contracts have lapsed by the end of the year.
Isn't the only iPhone that is compatible with HSPA+ the latest iPhone 4S? If so, then how aggressive can T-Mobile really get for contract lapsed AT&T customers, when iPhone 4S users will presumably be locked in for another year and a half?

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
Awsome!

If I'm reading this correct, folks can simply purchase an unlocked iPhone upfront and use either their $50 bring your own phone plan or even one of the prepaid plans!

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
This is great news for the budget conscience smartphone user. All those iPhone 4 and 4S's that will get unloaded when the LTE iPhone gets released this year will work quite nicely with T-Mobile's value plan (or daily prepaid options). The other major carriers don't even try to compete with T-mobile Value (aka bring your own phone) plan.

This. None of the three offering iPhone come anywhere close to the T-mobile pricing. I wonder if they'll maintain those price points once they are compatible with iPhone? If they do, that should be some serious pressure on the others.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.