Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iphone_4s_box.jpg

Last month saw six small U.S. carriers begin offering the iPhone for the first time, and it appears that another round of expansion to similar carriers is coming on May 18. Four new iPhone carriers, all operating CDMA networks, have rolled out their announcements so far today:

- Bluegrass Cellular (Kentucky)
- Golden State Cellular (California)
- Nex-Tech Wireless (Kansas)
- Pioneer Cellular (Oklahoma)

As with other regional carriers, the new entrants will be offering the iPhone at $50 below the standard pricing available through Apple and the major carriers. Under the discounted pricing, the iPhone 4S will be priced at $149/$249/$349 and the iPhone 4 will be available for $49.

Given the small nature of the carriers announcing their iPhone launches, publicity is somewhat unorganized and we're asking readers to let us know if they spot word of any others involved in this round of launches.

Article Link: Four More Small U.S. Carriers Launching iPhone on May 18 with $50 Discounts

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
Yes, why is Tmobile not getting in on this action?
They still use incompatible frequencies for data services.
Only a handful of T-Mobiles coverage area are compatible with the iPhone on the 1900Mhz band. The rest of T-Mobile's overage area uses the 1700Mhz band. The iPhone is not designed to operate on this frequency.

east85

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
Now that Steve Jobs is gone it seems like Apple is willing to send the iPhone to any and every carrier. What a shame, should have stuck with the best.

Shanpdx

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2008
Blazer town!
Now that Steve Jobs is gone it seems like Apple is willing to send the iPhone to any and every carrier. What a shame, should have stuck with the best.

unlike original release, iPhone is not that unique or percentage of smartphone users.

What is the issue bringing the technology to all?

I would like to see more Unlocked iPhones with much better price point may be $450 to $500???

sha4000

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2012

More money for Apple. Is there something wrong with that? Plus it's an easy way to close the gap with Android phones right???

johncrab

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
At Bluegrass Cellular, they have worked out a deal with Apple so that instead of user-selected ringtones, each time an iPhone on their network rings, the owner will hear banjos.

Konrad9

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2012
he has handling it better man.

Hope to see more good steps from him ...

What does Tim Cook have to do with this story?

----------

Lack of competition hurts only one group, us, the consumer.

Your absurdly closed-minded attitude is disturbing.

I'm hoping for cricket!!!

edit: I may actually switch from at&t for cricket....

well probably not, because I'm still on my parents family plan so I have $10 voice, $30 unlimited data (hoping for LTE unlimited), and $15 unlimited texts (splitting the family unlimited texts). So that's $55 for unlimited everything (ok voice isn't technically unlimited, but we have so many roll over minutes I'll never have to worry about running out).

Last edited:

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
They still use incompatible frequencies for data services.
Only a handful of T-Mobiles coverage area are compatible with the iPhone on the 1900Mhz band. The rest of T-Mobile's overage area uses the 1700Mhz band. The iPhone is not designed to operate on this frequency.

The iPhone's radio supports that. Apple only has to do a transceiver (if their current one doesn't support it) and antenna that does it. Other phones out there support AWS and AT&T's 3G.

In any event, t-mobile claims 1700 MHz support by end of year and LTE next year. They could be gearing up for the iphone as we speak.

organerito

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2008
Lack of competition hurts only one group, us, the consumer.

Your absurdly closed-minded attitude is disturbing.

His is point is that he thinks he is special because he has an iPhone. The problem is that he hasn't realized that the iPhone is just as cliché as the RAZR.
We are all special!

croooow

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2004
What a shame that Apple is getting their products out to more people? Didn't Steve talk about what a good market there would be in mobile phones (I remember him comparing it to the game console market, this is before the app store and all those iOS games, when the iPhone was mostly a phone) when he introduced the original iPhone?

Elitist attitudes like that are what give Apple users a bad name. Apple should not be trying to limit who buys their products, they should work on making the best products.

----------

So do iPhones on these small carriers say "Bluegrass," "Golden State," etc instead of "Verizon"/"AT&T"/"Sprint" or do they have a more generic carrier signal listing like some of the iPhone promo shots (that will say "3G" with no company listed as carrier)
iphone4_5.jpg

nickdelvecchio

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2010
AZ
is this making anyone else think the "iPhone5" is closer than the fall???

I'm getting nervous... I have an upgrade in september....

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
These little carriers fascinate me. Do they serve those who don't travel out of the area, does the traveller get switched over to VZ, etc? What are the upsides and downsides of hooking up with a regional carrier?

It would seem the small carriers might appreciate their customers more and be easier to deal with, but is even that true?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.