Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As revealed by Apple's iPad selection page for Latin America, the new iPad will be launching in 13 new countries in that region this Friday, May 11. The most significant new addition is Brazil, where Apple's manufacturing partner Foxconn has been ramping up production on iPhone and iPad production.

ipad_3_latin_america_may_11.jpg
A further examination of Apple's country-specific store pages reveals that this weekend's iPad launch will actually include a total of 30 countries. The majority of those countries will see the new iPad launch on Friday, May 11, but seven countries in the Middle East will debut the new iPad on Saturday, May 12. The full list of launch countries includes:

May 11: Argentina, Aruba, Bolivia, Botswana, Brazil, Cambodia, Chile, Costa Rica, Curaçao, Ecuador, French Guiana, Guadeloupe, Jamaica, Kenya, Madagascar, Malta, Martinique, Mauritius, Morocco, Peru, Taiwan, Tunisia, Vietnam

May 12: Bahrain, Egypt, Jordan, Kuwait, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates

The new iPad appears to still be awaiting certification before it can be sold in China, Honduras, Indonesia, Nicaragua, Paraguay, and the Philippines, and Apple is now promoting lower pricing on the iPad 2 in those countries as it awaits final approvals for the new device.

Apple also quietly launched the new iPad in Turkey this past Saturday, May 5, and following this weekend's launches the new iPad will be available in close to 90 countries around the world.

Article Link: New iPad Coming to 30 Additional Countries Including Brazil on May 11 and 12

Starship77

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2006
Brazil Finally!! :)

About time!

If only the price wasn't twice as much here, I'd buy one… :(

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
This is great news, the iPad is such a fantastic profit-generation tool.

Ca-Ching! Dividends from Apple starting soon. :)

Yeah -- they need to get that approval for China ASAP. I want to see a landslide of iPad sales in China for Apple's fiscal Q3.

Those stupid NPD surveys to determine smartphone purchase market share seemed to have beat up the stock in the last two weeks (that and Phil Schiller cashing in his vested options because he has tons more on the way). Oddly those NPD reports look grossly wrong since the carriers are reporting actual sales that are very very different.

It seems to me that the only thing that boosts AAPL stock is consistently showing profit growth, revenue growth and market share growth and shoving more money in the bank. All the "speculation" on Apple is that the company is destined to fall as fast they rose from the ashes. All this despite the fact that they have literally made their fortunes the old fashioned way:

1) Building great product
2) Selling great product
3) Solidifying your supply channels
4) Solidifying your distribution channels
5) Putting enough money in the bank so you can leverage it to work for you and further invest in your business

There is nothing unstable about AAPL except for the incredibly rock-bottom P/E ratio. The speculation on Amazon/AMZN on the other hand is literally "through the roof".

----------

Woohoo! Finally coming to Chile :D

Although, sadly enough, I don't have the money to buy one :/

Trying pitching it on Kickstarter. Ask folks to invest in your usage of iPad to generally improve the overall world economy. Make a video saying that your business plan is to collect money, buy an iPad, and then use it daily to help generate web-based ad revenue. Maybe some online advertisers will invest in your Kickstarter project. :D :D :D

blow45

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2011
Seeing as most of these countries have rather hot climates, it might be fitting to be selling the new hot ipad there too, only watch out because the excuse that it's good as hand warmer won't really apply ten. How fun it will be to use it under the hot brazilian sun with the aluminum heating up by the core and being heated up by the sun. But anyway this might be a non issue, no oled no under the sun use. :D

GunZi

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2012
Could we also expect additional SIRI Dictation languages to be added around those launch dates?
Perhaps Spanish?

i doubt it, they'll probably add a new language at WWDC in june. with either iOS 5.2 og 6.0

They just released 5.1.1 so don't expect anything at least within a month.

bartszyszka

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2004
New York, NY
Existing countries?

Are these countries that have already had the old iPad or are they a brand new market for the iPad? This article doesn't say.

Hisdem

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2010
South Florida
Are these countries that have already had the old iPad or are they a brand new market for the iPad? This article doesn't say.

Judging by Brazil and Chile, existing iPad markets. Not to worry though, I just got an iPad 2 for a discounted price last weekend. Of course, that discounted price was still more than twice the regular price in the USA, but that's Brazil for us. :p

Starship77

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2006
Judging by Brazil and Chile, existing iPad markets. Not to worry though, I just got an iPad 2 for a discounted price last weekend. Of course, that discounted price was still more than twice the regular price in the USA, but that's Brazil for us. :p

If you purchase by phone, you get an extra 10% discount. It gets it a little closer to OLD U.S. prices. It's R$ 1259,10 =~ US$ 662,68 for the cheapest with all taxes and shipping costs included. In the U.S. it WAS 499 + tax + iof (if you use a brazilian credit card) + recycling tax (if you buy it in California) = ~US$ 582,54

So: US$ 662,68 - US$ 582,54 = US$ 80,14 difference

of course now it costs US$ 399,00 in the U.S. so it would be around US$ 467,00 vs. US$ 662,68 for the brazilian one… total US$ 195,00 difference

Also I'm considering you buy it in an Apple Store in California with a credit card. I'm sure there are better options if you look out for deals and promotions.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
i doubt it, they'll probably add a new language at WWDC in june. with either iOS 5.2 og 6.0

They just released 5.1.1 so don't expect anything at least within a month.

:(
Unless I'm wrong, the language update doesn't require a software update, as it is a function linked to SIRI.
Also, the last update we had was a below a subversion. iOS 5.2 should be released soon, and we'll see what it brings! :D

siner55

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2011
Any word on the availability in Saudi Arabia

I want to own one of these babies but guys here charging a fortune for it.:(

Azathoth

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2009
This is great news, the iPad is such a fantastic educational tool.

Yeah, I'm sure that every kid in Cambodia (850 USD gross national income per capita) is gonna stand in line to get one. For 80% of the worlds population they cannot be considered "great educational tools". Can you imagine the waste and dangerous chemicals needed to produce billions of iPads (if they are so great than surely it should be a "human right" to have an iPad), that are rendered obsolete after a couple of years?

Compared to books: fully recyclable, easy to print locally, no need for electricity to use. Little danger of theft. No rare or toxic chemicals needed to produce (which ironically come from the poorest countries!)

Hey, I love my macbook and it's a great tool for engineering work, but we should not place some misguided faith in that flashy graphics and moving pictures on a screen are somehow going to elevate the world's population to geniuses.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.